Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

When I craft an item, will my name be on it, forever?

CrivelCrivel Member, Founder, Kickstarter
Hi guys!
I loved the Ashes of Creation Meet the Devs & Year-in-Review, and if anyone reading this managed to miss that, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF1d1pb6cME.

One question that came to mind listening to Hal, Alex and Kory during Gathering&Crafting, was that if I craft an item, will my name be in the desription of that item forever?
Like "Sword of ember. crafted by Crivel the journeyman blacksmith" or something like that.
You can even add what rank I have in that profession when I crafted it, so when somone comes to me and want me to craft a similar to him/her, I can reply that "oh, but I am a Master in my craft now so this sword will be a much better piece"

The reason I ask, is that as far as i understand it will be somewhat harder to gather the right materials, and when you actually craft the item there will be some type of minigame where you can determine the final result of the items properties?
Add that your choice of religion and path of life in Ashes in general can affect what properties your crafted item will end up with, can make it quite uniqe.

And it would be grand if my name would be on that item then, so people can learn who crafted it, and come and find me to get one of their own.
A way to build up your reputation as a crafter?
"I heard there is a Master Blacksmith somewhere in the Jundark region who can craft weapons with the most amazing looks and abillities.

I dont know if you can inspect other players in Ashes, but I suspect you will be able to.
But then you can look at their gear, and read the description and see the name of the crafter of that bow, sword or armor, or who tamed his or her´s mount and so on.

Just a thought, perhaps its already answered somewhere, but I wanted to ask anyway :)
Thanks guys for reading.

Comments

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2022
    My expectation is that your name will be on items forever. We know the name will be on items at least, I have no reason to assume this will be temporary.

Games have been doing this for almost 20 years (that I know of), so it isn't some great new idea.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Crivel wrote: »

I dont know if you can inspect other players in Ashes, but I suspect you will be able to.
    But then you can look at their gear, and read the description and see the name of the crafter of that bow, sword or armor, or who tamed his or her´s mount and so on.

Just a thought, perhaps its already answered somewhere, but I wanted to ask anyway :)
    Thanks guys for reading.

The developers believe that inspecting gear to obtain an exact equipment list or gear score may lead to "unwelcome behavior".[8]
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Asheron's Call had the crafter's name on the item perm.

An item may be inspectable but simply not show exact details.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You should never be able to inspect a player and see what items or even see he's tattoos or what he looks like without consent.

Inspect should open a pop-up (if you allow it) that asks for permission, and only if you accept other people should be able to see the names of your gear pieces and all the details.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Names on items should only be unlocked at the highest tier.

Similar to Ultima Online GM system

A GrandMaster Blacksmith will finally have his GM made items show his name as the creator.
    This should be a achievement, a reward for a hard work to master in AoC.

In terms of Inspection - I'm all for it.
    Just let me know if someone is inspecting me is all.

{UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    edited December 2022
    novercalis wrote: »
    Names on items should only be unlocked at the highest tier.

Similar to Ultima Online GM system

A GrandMaster Blacksmith will finally have his GM made items show his name as the creator.
    This should be a achievement, a reward for a hard work to master in AoC.

In terms of Inspection - I'm all for it.
    Just let me know if someone is inspecting me is all.

So why not have their guild rating by their name?
    A Journeyman still creates at his current best.
  • Options
    StreviStrevi Member
    edited December 2022
    Crivel wrote: »
    A way to build up your reputation as a crafter?
    "I heard there is a Master Blacksmith somewhere in the Jundark region who can craft weapons with the most amazing looks and abillities.

I dont know if you can inspect other players in Ashes, but ...
    ... but a player defeated that golem in the dungeon and I got a popup telling me about this blacksmith :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I'd like the only for the top level blacksmiths to have their name on gear. Seems proper and people may begin to recognize said blacksmith in the world which may lead to larger social interactions later down the line. If everyone has their name on gear they crafted, it'd be info that's just overlooked. Also I don't believe people should b able to inspect you without consent. The only people who would have issue with that are those who may b planning to pk you. You could also have a setting for:

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Some sort of "Created by" tag on items would be nice. It worked fine in other games and is satisfying for crafters. Its a small way to leave a mark on the world.

Inspect should be a part of the game as well I think.
  • Options
    Planning on taking husbandry with animal breeding will there then be player names on mounts and combat pets? Three headed yeti (made by so-and-so)
  • Options
    Are materials going to have different qualities so crafters can make a name for themselves? like hey, this guy makes the best quality swords right now with the materials he has. plus is surveying going to be the way to try and find the best material and will the material change quality like StarWars galaxies back in the day
  • Options
    Settite wrote: »
    I'd like the only for the top level blacksmiths to have their name on gear. Seems proper and people may begin to recognize said blacksmith in the world which may lead to larger social interactions later down the line. If everyone has their name on gear they crafted, it'd be info that's just overlooked. Also I don't believe people should b able to inspect you without consent. The only people who would have issue with that are those who may b planning to pk you. You could also have a setting for:

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

Definitely want inspect and I wouldn’t mind always allow it’s worked in other games it leads to motivation and awe from other players who like to view gear and want to hunt for their next set. I always loved looking at high level characters and there gear it’s a lot of fun seeing what you could possibly get if you keep grinding.

I would settle for:

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

I’m all for names on gear to. Possibly something you can obtain mid way through your progression in that profession. Not noob and not master somewhere in between.
  • Options
    Lust69 wrote: »

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

Definitely want inspect and I wouldn’t mind always allow it’s worked in other games it leads to motivation and awe from other players who like to view gear and want to hunt for their next set. I always loved looking at high level characters and there gear it’s a lot of fun seeing what you could possibly get if you keep grinding.

I would settle for:

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

I’m all for names on gear to. Possibly something you can obtain mid way through your progression in that profession. Not noob and not master somewhere in between.

That's fair. If someone has to have at least put some form of dedication into their craft in order to have their name displayed on it, I wouldn't mind. I'd just Luke the inspect options to prevent someone knowing too much about their target.

Example: I'm a rogue. I need the rock you are mining. Rock u r mining is master level. I can't mine rock since I am chose a different set of professions. I inspect you. I conclude I can't most likely kill you for it becuz of gear u r wearing. Or I conclude I can't so I wait for next person.

I don't believe a player should have so much info about another if they aren't on friendly terms. If your gonna make the choice to turn red for a chance at loot then you should do so without knowing such info about your enemy. How do you feel about this line of thought?
  • Options
    no inspection pls, unless it only reveals the name of the crafter. but um..more than 1 person will be able to craft the same item =x
  • Options

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

I would settle for:

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

That's fair. If someone has to have at least put some form of dedication into their craft in order to have their name displayed on it, I wouldn't mind. I'd just Luke the inspect options to prevent someone knowing too much about their target.

Example: I'm a rogue. I need the rock you are mining. Rock u r mining is master level. I can't mine rock since I am chose a different set of professions. I inspect you. I conclude I can't most likely kill you for it becuz of gear u r wearing. Or I conclude I can't so I wait for next person.

I don't believe a player should have so much info about another if they aren't on friendly terms. If your gonna make the choice to turn red for a chance at loot then you should do so without knowing such info about your enemy. How do you feel about this line of thought?

You’re probably going to have a good idea of there power from just looking at their armour anyway. I doubt this information you get from them will make much difference. Personally I wouldn’t mind anyone from knowing my gear I’m used to it from other games. You won’t know there skill and that’s what matters. I accept the compromise though.
  • Options

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

I would settle for:

Always allow inspect.
    Never allow inspect.
    Ask to inspect.

You’re probably going to have a good idea of there power from just looking at their armour anyway. I doubt this information you get from them will make much difference. Personally I wouldn’t mind anyone from knowing my gear I’m used to it from other games. You won’t know there skill and that’s what matters. I accept the compromise though.

That's fair, though with transmog you wouldn't be able to tell unless transmog visibility has a toggle. I could go either way, just thinking of ways it may cause friction or give someone an unnecessary benefit
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »
    Some sort of "Created by" tag on items would be nice. It worked fine in other games and is satisfying for crafters. Its a small way to leave a mark on the world.

Inspect should be a part of the game as well I think.

Earn it. Risk/Reward.

Risk - the time length it took for you to become a grandmaster.

Reward - the server recognizes your accomplishment.

more specifically - not every item/gear gets tagged with names. Legendary items, or legendary mats that can only be crafted by Grandmaster can etch their names. So there is only a select few dedicated crafters of that caliber in the server.

Ashes isnt giving out participation trophies - their principles / pillar is aligned to this concept. Reputation matters and this is one avenue of it.
  • Options
    In terms of inspection - while I did not play Alpha 1 - I think or believe AoC isnt heavily gear based like WoW/ New World.

Items levels probably isnt for this game and this might be along EQ / D&D itemization route. With that said - inspection is fine.

I think its a cop out, inspecting someone and going - ohh noes, I cant fight him.
    that is shitty design and gameplay. "I wont fight cause he's too geared, to better." or "lulz, look at this lvl 60 newbie with shit gear, i can kill him easily" - both scenerio is lame.

I do believe, Since steven is a D&D / Pathfinder type of guy - that items are nominal increases to a player growth.

So like EQ - a naked wizard vs a geared wizard - the difference would be
    the geared wizard would have a large mana pool, hp pool, AC, mana regen and maybe an increase 25-33% magical dmg increase.
    So a naked wizard fireball would be 1000, the geared one is 1250-1333 dmg.

Whereas NW/WoW itemzation is stupid and makes things hard to balance

a naked wizard fireball is 1000 vs a geared wizard is 18,384 dmg.

Most people arent inspecting to see gankability but to awe/admire the item. Like holy shit, that is an awesome looking robe, let me click and see the name of the robe. Is this a mage robe? cleric robe? Int robe? wis robe? vit robe?

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2022
    novercalis wrote: »
    I think its a cop out, inspecting someone and going - ohh noes, I cant fight him.
    that is shitty design and gameplay.
    Indeed.

Its much better design to be able to say "I cant fight him" just by looking at their class, as Ashes essentially plans to do.

A game with RPS classes makes it more obvious who you are able to kill and who you are unable to kill than a game where gear is the major determining factor.
  • Options
    Can't imagine i craft a shit item and put it in the market, what a shame :D
    dtdyedwolvjf.jpg