Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The New World Pitfall

milkt0astmilkt0ast Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
How is Ashes going to avoid the gathering and crafting pitfalls of early gameplay that New World had? Everyone being able to do everything at the start means no one needs each other getting rid of that communal cohesion that I have felt the team is going for.
Will this be achieved by limiting the number of professions you can do at certain levels forcing players to choose what ones to do?

Comments

• Options
    I'd assume they won't try to avoid that in the early game, because low lvl artisanry (or at least low lvl gathering) will be available to everyone but will also require the most resources, so everyone gathering stuff will properly fit into the demand for those low lvl resources.

And at higher lvls everyone will go down their own artisan paths, so everything will be split up amongst the players.
  • Options
    o:)
  • Options
    milkt0ast wrote: »
    Will this be achieved by limiting the number of professions you can do at certain levels forcing players to choose what ones to do?
    I would prefer a class which is better than other classes at processing and crafting but average at combat.
    The ones good at combat should be good at gathering too.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    JahlonJahlon Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One
    Strevi wrote: »
    I would prefer a class which is better than other classes at processing and crafting but average at combat.

They already said this won't be a thing since that would force and cause a meta for gatherers and crafters.

The artisan system and the adventuring system are separate. No buffs, boons, etc across them.
    hpsmlCJ.jpg
    Make sure to check out Ashes 101
  • Options
    Jahlon wrote: »
    Strevi wrote: »

They already said this won't be a thing since that would force and cause a meta for gatherers and crafters.

The artisan system and the adventuring system are separate. No buffs, boons, etc across them.

What do you call a meta?
    An obvious feature is not a meta.
    A meta would be when you have more options and you figure out which one is the best and you ignore completely the other possibilities which the game offers.
    In this case the game would state when you create the character that certain classes would have this advantage. That advantage is not a meta. Just like a tank being better at tanking than a ranger is not a meta.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    How is Ashes going to avoid the gathering and crafting pitfalls of early gameplay that New World had? Everyone being able to do everything at the start means no one needs each other getting rid of that communal cohesion that I have felt the team is going for.

The early gameplay of Ashes would be community driven in a different way, more similar to the early stages of a survival game.

Nodes will need resources for some of their bonuses/functional buildings to 'come online' (we do not have full information on this yet), so the large number of players will not be reliant on each other in a pure economic sense yet, but instead reliant on each other to get their nodes 'up and running' so they could even have an economy to foster other 'reliances'.

I would also expect that Intrepid would absolutely NOT want people to be too reliant on each other at the beginning, they would want players to be able to test everything. Not every player of this game type knows what they enjoy in terms of Artisanship, at the start, so it's good for them to be able to try everything and figure out which gameplay loop suits them the most.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    The gathering pitfall in New World was the ability of the bots to monopolize the resources causing frustration for the real gamers, just stopping that from happening will be a big help.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

you can find that information in greater detail below!
    https://www.ashes101.com/artisan
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Reactive_world