Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gathering vs Processing

CulturedCultured Member
edited December 2022 in General Discussion
In various games, one usually outshines the other. Either raw or refined materials are worth more gold per stack. In ESO for example, raw materials are more expensive because processing them has a chance to give you upgrade materials. I understand that our AOC economy cannot be known at this time, but are there any predictions as to what will be more valuable and why?

I'm certain that my predictions will change as more information is released, but it seems to me that processed materials will be more in demand since they will be used for both crafting and repairs. Also, it sounds like they will be obtainable through deconstruction and by processing the raw materials themselves. Which might make raw materials less valuable since there will be multiple ways of obtaining these processed goods.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2022
    As you also allude to, it's too early to tell and pure speculation still I think. In terms of profit, I think raw materials should probably win out over processed goods, simply for the fact that processing is done in relative safety on freeholds and in nodes. With the exception of animal husbandry, I think a lot of people will simply use their alts for processing, and their mains for gathering or crafting.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    As also you allude to, it's too early to tell and pure speculation still I think. In terms of profit, I think raw materials should probably win out over processed goods, simply for the fact that processing is done in relative safety on freeholds and in nodes. With the exception of animal husbandry, I think a lot of people will simply use their alts for processing, and their mains for gathering or crafting.

Definitely too early to tell lol. You make a great point. Players could get killed while gathering, but processing will be done in safety. Risk v reward and all. I also agree with the use of alts, I've thought of doing the same thing once the game is released. Maybe not right away, but eventually I'll be able to gather, process, and craft self sufficiently.
  • Options
    Can't wait to see how capturing animals and pvp will work. [You have been slain] [Pandathief captures 13 of your gathered [Pandas]] I think it depends if there is a level cap though on processing or requires questing or certain engagement. I could easily see middle stage items, not the gathered items or final products but the go between like processed materials potentially being the high value items.
  • Options
    This is a very good question that call another one :"how the economy will be balanced?"
    In new world for exemple there is no base price on items and it can go really too expensive.
    On Black desert there is a price range on items.
    On AOC i hope it will be a base price on items so players will know the average price of any items and won't buy something that not worth the price.

Sorry for my pitifull english ^^

dtdyedwolvjf.jpg
  • Options
    Darkbolt wrote: »
    This is a very good question that call another one :"how the economy will be balanced?"
    In new world for exemple there is no base price on items and it can go really too expensive.
    On AOC i hope it will be a base price on items so players will know the average price of any items and won't buy something that not worth the price.

I fully expect there to be volatility in the AOC economy, especially during the early part of the game's release. I don't think we'll have the problem that New World has because of the way players will buy and sell items. It will be very difficult to manipulate market prices since there will be player shops instead of an AH where you can set buy and sell orders.

With the caravan system and how materials will be distributed throughout the world, it would probably be best to travel to certain nodes to get the best deals. I.E if you need a certain plant that grows in forest biomes, don't try to buy it in the desert node expecting to get a deal.

I am very excited to see how this all pans out. Aside from working on my professions early on, I will also be trying to amass gold. There will be plenty of essential items/gear/mounts that I won't necessarily be able to obtain myself during the beginning of my journey. Gonna have to buy em!

Also, your English is great!
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Darkbolt wrote: »

Sorry for my pitifull english ^^

I actually hope they won't do the BDO style of forcing certain price ranges. I want players be able to freely set prices. It makes for a much better economy IMO.
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Do we know for sure that processing will be safe?

Sure, maybe you can turn iron ore into ingots in your freehold. But if you are turning a giant's tusk into diresteel, then you need to do that in the heart of a volcano where firedrakes repeatedly spawn and try to burn you to ash. Or perhaps when you process wightstone from gathered ectoplasm, there is a chance that a vengeful spirit will appear and must be defeated to finish the process.

Yes, that is all crap I made up, but who's to say that Intrepid might not turn the processing part of crafting into just as much of an adventure as it is for the gatherers who have to roam the wilderness and dive into monster lairs?

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »
    Do we know for sure that processing will be safe?

Sure, maybe you can turn iron ore into ingots in your freehold. But if you are turning a giant's tusk into diresteel, then you need to do that in the heart of a volcano where firedrakes repeatedly spawn and try to burn you to ash. Or perhaps when you process wightstone from gathered ectoplasm, there is a chance that a vengeful spirit will appear and must be defeated to finish the process.

Yes, that is all crap I made up, but who's to say that Intrepid might not turn the processing part of crafting into just as much of an adventure as it is for the gatherers who have to roam the wilderness and dive into monster lairs?

An important thing to note is that raw resources will often need to make it to a freehold to be processed and then those processed resources need to make it from freeholds to a node for trade and crafting. Processors have their own risks to assess when it comes to moving resources.
    design.gif
  • Options
    The free market on Vera is going to be so much fun to interact with and be a part of.