Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Diversity and uncertainty in mob interaction

edited December 2022 in General Discussion
I'm curious what you guys think of the idea that not all mobs in every cave, forest and so forth wants to eat you alive. It would bring some uncertainty and surprise too find out some animals/creatures would be neutral or even friendly untill attacked, where even then, some would flee and others would fight.

Also to keep the element of surprise it shouldn't be clear in advance if a mob is friendly or not by colouring its name red; esthetics and environment often make it pretty predictable but still a bit uncertain.

Would also be cool if some animals could be tamed or just have a friendly interaction with it, maybe giving some kind of boost when giving it an apple or something or it would temporarily follow and/or defend you. This diversity in interaction with mobs/animals would bring extra depth would it not?

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm curious what you guys think of the idea that not all mobs in every cave, forest and so forth wants to eat you alive. It would bring some uncertainty and surprise too find out some animals/creatures would be neutral or even friendly untill attacked, where even then, some would flee and others would fight.
    Also to keep the element of surprise it shouldn't be clear in advance if a mob is friendly or not by colouring its name red; esthetics and environment often make it pretty predictable but still a bit uncertain.
    Would also be cool if some animals good be tamed or just have a friendly interaction with it, maybe giving some kind of boost when giving it an apple or something or it would temporarily follow and/or defend you. This diversity in interaction with mobs/animals would bring extra depth would it not?

I think this idea should be pretty much standard for fantasy MMOs, and I enjoy it in the games I play that work like this.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I kinda expected that already. Just seems like something that any decent mmo should have.
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies. I'm no veteran in MMO's and don't know as much as you guys on AOC I think. But is there some official info on this or was this verifiable at alpha one? Because when seeing some footage of the alpha one in a cave all mobs were hostile... the little experience I have with MMO's is that in my experience there's too litlle variety and too much hostility which gets predictable or boring sometimes. More surprising and friendly interactions would balance that more and bring more 'wonder' or suprise in experiencing the world
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thanks for your replies. I'm no veteran in MMO's and don't know as much as you guys on AOC I think. But is there some official info on this or was this verifiable at alpha one? Because when seeing some footage of the alpha one in a cave all mobs were hostile... the little experience I have with MMO's is that in my experience there's too litlle variety and too much hostility which gets predictable or boring sometimes. More surprising and friendly interactions would balance that more and bring more 'wonder' or suprise in experiencing the world

I don't think I have any direct evidence within AoC of it happening, but the Alpha-1 videos are that way, because Alpha-1 wasn't in any way a content test. The world had some mobs in it to populate it and give us something to do, to test systems and level up.

But many other MMOs have differences in 'aggression' levels of enemies. Some even have enemies that detect using different methods, pursue you in different ways, and change their behaviour sometimes depending on the weather or time of day.

It's a really common thing in 'world' style games, even if not in all 'adventure' type games. I think you can expect to see it.

I can only share with you the quote that made me have some faith in it, since I play the game being talked about in the quote. From this page.

The best was Final Fantasy 11 back in the day where you had scent, you had sight, you had magic. Like there's all sorts of different things that you had to like protect yourself against so that certain mobs couldn't see you; and you could maintain that ability to like kind of sneak past easily... It made those monsters unique and gave them character outside of just how much damage they did to me.[18] – Jeffrey Bard

I am unapologetically a fangirl of this game, and that quote is from the former Lead Game Designer.

Unless they've changed a LOT about the plans for enemies and their AI, I'd say to expect something. The quote doesn't really address the thing you're talking about, it's moreso the 'spirit' of it, though. So it's possible it has changed for some reason. I just think it's unlikely to be changed.

Maybe someone else remembers enemies from Alpha-1 that didn't aggro, but I don't remember any currently, sorry.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

Definitely like the idea of mobs that are not just aggressive but can also be friendly or neutral. Especially if certain things can change their behavior: seasons, weather, your character's height for example. I could see a large mob not being afraid of a dwarf whereas a smaller mob may run away from a tall player.

But do you mean for mobs of a certain type? or do you mean every encounter with a certain mob type you're not sure if they are neutral, friendly, or aggressive? I think the latter would be too chaotic if every mob you encounter has a chance to be neutral/friendly/aggressive.