Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Animations and how it effect class fantasy.

I noticed that the Fighter can wield a huge 2h sword but the animation for one of the fighters attacks was a giant glowing golden hammer. I understand that having huge animations gives every player a visual que as to what is happening. It would be exceedingly powerful if the animation was small and difficult to comprehend what is happening on the battle field but what I am trying to bring to light is that a giant golden 2h sword would be great instead of a hammer. Perhaps the giant light shaped weapon can be the weapon of the fighter is using so that whenever a player uses that ability to stun or stagger a small group of opponents it feels even more satisfying knowing that you're doing it with the weapon you forged or worked hard to obtain instead of a hammer you may not even be wielding.

I hope this makes sense.

-sincerely, me.

Comments

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Spot on. I agree 100% that the yellow magic hammer feels detached from your soul as a fighter or the weapons with which you excel in combat as a fighter.

If the devs want to make some sort of lore connection with all classes having some magic, then the very least would be that the yellow hammer animation should be tied to the equipped weapon type of the fighter in order for Fighters to feel some sort of relation to that ability.
  • Options
    agree with you there. animations that are more closely tied to your character would be pretty cool.

But as for big and flashy...just gets annoying in a mass pvp or raid...hard to tell what is happening with just animations going on everywhere...unless these are long cooldown animations that aren't going off every 10 seconds lol
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    I don't have any issue with the animations or vfx, and tbh I'm glad they already said they wouldn't be doing unique animations for each weapon, bc weapons should not change your skill animations that's just unfeasible for a game that already has 64 classes and 18 weapons types

I would be worried if they decided to follow that kind of feedback, that's a tremendous amount of work and development time and we need AoC before 2026

img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited January 2023
    Spot on. I agree 100% that the yellow magic hammer feels detached from your soul as a fighter or the weapons with which you excel in combat as a fighter.

If the devs want to make some sort of lore connection with all classes having some magic, then the very least would be that the yellow hammer animation should be tied to the equipped weapon type of the fighter in order for Fighters to feel some sort of relation to that ability.

although it makes sense if ur fighter with cleric as secondary :P i also dont beleive there showing just base class kit skills on there videos, we know they have some augmented skills already in one of the showcases for example the dodge was completely different.
    So wouldnt surprise me if some skills there showcases are augmented versions with the secondary class so it possible that the hammer in this case is one of there augmented secondary class skill and not a base fighter skill.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

although it makes sense if ur fighter with cleric as secondary :P i also dont beleive there showing just base class kit skills on there videos, we know they have some augmented skills already in one of the showcases for example the dodge was completely different.
    So wouldnt surprise me if some skills there showcases are augmented versions with the secondary class so it possible that the hammer in this case is one of there augmented secondary class skill and not a base fighter skill.

It featured too prominently this year and that worries me.
    It would make sense for a cleric/fighter, not a fighter cleric.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I noticed that the Fighter can wield a huge 2h sword but the animation for one of the fighters attacks was a giant glowing golden hammer. I understand that having huge animations gives every player a visual que as to what is happening. It would be exceedingly powerful if the animation was small and difficult to comprehend what is happening on the battle field but what I am trying to bring to light is that a giant golden 2h sword would be great instead of a hammer. Perhaps the giant light shaped weapon can be the weapon of the fighter is using so that whenever a player uses that ability to stun or stagger a small group of opponents it feels even more satisfying knowing that you're doing it with the weapon you forged or worked hard to obtain instead of a hammer you may not even be wielding.

I hope this makes sense.

-sincerely, me.

I would like to see continuity in all of the art to include combat.

So far that is not the case.
  • Options
    effusivemindeffusivemind Member
    edited January 2023
    From what I recall, the fighter was actually the weapon master class. He may have had ability augments, maybe not.

I'm also not sure how that works, by the way. If he's noted to be lvl 15 in some clips, and you don't pick your secondary archetype until 30.

Maybe you could hypothesize it's a lvl 15 fighter showcasing weapon master abilities, or some WM abilities. In which case, it wouldn't make sense to occasionally drop that he's a "weapon master" unless, in fact, some of his abilities were augmented because otherwise it would be irrelevant.

It's confusing, and probably not worth trying to understand. Abilities have already changed so significantly, and will probably still continue to change going towards A2 anyway
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm sure if the game last a long time it can change the appearance of a fighter. Yeah, the glowing hammer seems out of place from the outside but a reasonable lore concept could make the hammer a central point to ashes of creation fighter.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    I'm sure if the game last a long time it can change the appearance of a fighter. Yeah, the glowing hammer seems out of place from the outside but a reasonable lore concept could make the hammer a central point to ashes of creation fighter.

Basic Achetypes are universal in all games. Mmos add their own flavour by introducing unique archetypes, but AFTER the provide the basics for the vast majority of the players

The lore of the fighter in AoC wont satisfy the players looking to play a physical, melee warrior.
  • Options
    I'm not sure of that. WoW was shaped by warcraft strategy game, riot mmo is shaped by riot lore, warhammer online was shaped by warhammer, ashes is shaped by pathfinder. The fighter is from pathfinder and as such:

Fighters are Lords of the battlefield, fighters are a disparate lot, training with many weapons or just one, perfecting the uses of armor, learning the fighting techniques of exotic masters, and studying the art of combat, all to shape themselves into living weapons.

In my mind, a glowing hammer is an exotic weapon.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    wasnt a fan of the yellow stuff on the fighter demo. Agree with this thread. Keep it white / semi transparent - blur motions would make more sense.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    Yeah. I can agree the current iteration isn't very good. Much like the fireball elevation for the old mage. I'm just saying, fighter is broad and would go to am exotic source if it meant a fighter can kill more effectively.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I'm personally hoping then tone down the graphic effects, ALOT, before release, or have custom sliders for it. Whats been shown looks like large PvP fights will just look like the middle of a fireworks finale. Hard to track whats going on when your blind. My personal take on Fighter, is I want 0 flash and all attacks represented by physical combat attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NbwizzxQ_s
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited January 2023
    Since it's clearly a magical ability I hope the hammer thing was an ability of the Spell Sword or High Sword or Blade Caller because it would make no sense otherwise calss-fantasy wise (and indeed I hope it has sword/spear/etc variants).

Magicless/less magical classes such as the Weapon Master, Hunter, Dreadnought shouldn't have such a magical element to their fantasy I believe.

• Options
    Ironhope wrote: »
    Since it's clearly a magical ability I hope the hammer thing was an ability of the Spell Sword or High Sword or Blade Caller because it would make no sense otherwise calss-fantasy wise (and indeed I hope it has sword/spear/etc variants).

Magicless/less magical classes such as the Weapon Master, Hunter, Dreadnought shouldn't have such a magical element to their fantasy I believe.

Exactly what you said is what I am also hoping for. Again, if the animations have to be bigger for players to understand what is happening on the battle field, sure. I understand that, but what I am hoping for and probably many others is for a magicless class. Imagining myself as a warrior, archer, or rogue type class I see myself as someone who is well trained in the art of the weapon(s) that they wield.

ex: Rogues abilities to turn invisible has always puzzled me. In many mmorpgs the information or lore is not given to the players as to how a rogue learned shadow magic.

ex: Warrior classes healing off of blood. When did the warriors in this mmorpg learn vampirism?

ex: Archers classes learning how to enchant arrows with magic debuffs and elements. Why not make it an in-game mechanic for archers that perhaps ties in the making of elemental arrows or explosive arrows through having them enchanted by Mage class players or crafted through alchemy, tinkering, fletching?
  • Options
    I've seen where the hammer might have come from: Swiftblade in Archeage.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif