Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"Pay To Keep Up" (Discusses Cosmetics Only)

AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
So a quick scenario that came into my mind.

Say Intrepid offers some limited time content, some 'thing' that we have about 3 months to do, and after that it will either disappear or not give the standard rewards that it was giving for the first few months. A special event.

Then that special event gives an ingame cosmetic as implication that you managed to clear it within the timeframe. Could even be from something instanced, doesn't matter.

Then they sell a SIMILAR but not entirely the same cosmetic in the shop after the limited content closes, for those who couldn't finish it or who weren't even playing yet at the time, maybe, but can buy it much later on.

Any opinion?
Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Comments

• Options
    FuryBladeborneFuryBladeborne Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    IMO, it's fine. Selling similar cosmetics to what can be earned in game is part of the business model. It's part of the game that at least many of us have signed up for.

The people who care enough about these in game achievement markers will probably be aware of the differences between cosmetic shop items and items earned in game.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    non issue. If it's not the EXACT same item, just a recolor - im ok with it, im expecting it as is already. All the cosmetics that has been up for purchase will have a recolor for everyone else once it goes live potentially.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    I think as long as the cosmetics are different enough, it's perfectly fine. My only issue would be if the recolors of event cosmetics look cooler than the ones I unlocked, I'd be kind of sad about it, but it doesn't affect how I or anyone else plays the game so I can't complain too much. There's give and take with this kind of stuff IMO.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    misinfoslam.png
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    I'm already buying all the exclusive cosmetics I'm gonna need so... I don't really care bout post-launch stuff B)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    I couldn't care less about cosmetics, but I will be participating in all the events of the game cause I'm an achievement hunter. So to me, as long as that buyable version has at least a single spot on it that visually differentiates it from the event one - I'm good. What's the point of showing off what you've achieved in the game if someone can just buy the exact same thing for money.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Azherae wrote: »
    Any opinion?

Quite honestly, I literally have no opinion at all on this scenario.

A rare thing for me.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    I would expect the event to have a recognizable theme that would inherently include cosmetics.
    People would unertsand that who played the game during that event - and it would be clear which items are cosmetics and which items are actual gear.
    We got a glimpse of how Intrepid plans to implement this with some of the Apocalypse concept art for gear sets.
  • Options
    As long as the original and the shop one are visually easy to discern (preferable with no possibility of having the same colour scheme) i see no problem at all.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    As long as they stick to their guns and allow for the acquisition of in-game cosmetics, I'm fine with it. I understand that there will be many players who won't be able to support the game financially, other than their sub, and I don't want them to feel like they are missing out or can't achieve certain in-game looks by being strictly sub-to-play.
  • Options
    No issue at all, though I don't have much of an opinion on cosmetics.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I imagine the events will give crafting styles rather than cosmetics. Thus, the concepts can be bought by all and the cosmetics can remain separate.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif