Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

(Collection of Suggestions) Are there Quality of Life features you would like implemented in AoC?

AeranduilAeranduil Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
In my lull time, I have been hopping from game to game, looking for something to fill the void as I wait for other anticipated games (AoC included). While playing these other games I have been making mental notes of QoL features that would just make sense if they all featured together in one single game such as Ashes. Maybe with enough participation we could have a nice collection of suggestions for the devs to be able to sift through.

Comments

• Options
    One such QoL suggestion for myself is having the option to read any Tips/Hints during load screens before the game drops me into Verra. Over the years, I have been slowly upgrading my pc, like most master race owners. An m.2 upgrade last year prompted hella fast loading times, and as a result loading screens practically blink across the screen before they are gone. Having the option to press a key at the end of a loading screen to enter the game is just one small QoL feature I would appreciate in any game.
  • Options
    If there are cut scenes with subtitles, to be able to review later the dialogs. Useful when the player is not comfortable with (still learning) that language,
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I was concerned when I saw the constellations thing recently, bc I don't want any new feature at all to be added to the game before launch

theres already way too much things and we haven't seen half of it, and scope creep is a big issue, so I say put all the new suggestions on hold for post launch 🙏
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    I was concerned when I saw the constellations thing recently, bc I don't want any new feature at all to be added to the game before launch

theres already way too much things and we haven't seen half of it, and scope creep is a big issue, so I say put all the new suggestions on hold for post launch 🙏

I’m with you on not suggesting anything that might prolong a release date. Conversely, I also don’t want the game to flop like so many others because of suggestions left unsaid. Sadly, I think we can all list a handful of games that did just that at their launch.
  • Options
    I would like to see an "advanced" view of stats on items that can be toggled on or off either via options or with a key press. Similar to Path of Exile. If I obtain an item that has X amount of health or whatever, I want to know what Tier it is. If I craft items for myself I like to try to get the higher range of stats. So if the range for a particular item is between +65-100 health, and I make one with +65, then I would make another one to try and get the higher roll. I would like the option to see these ranges on the item itself.

I could always check the Wiki or w/e if they don't add something like this, but it's a nice QOL for me. I do not like having to alt tab, or open a browser on another screen just to get information about the game.
  • Options
    Yes. The biggest QoL improvements would be "Alpha 2." Then it'd be "Beta 1."

I'm sure you know, but there's kinda a subculture in the Ashes community skeptical the game will even make it to release. I'm not necessarily in that bucket, but hitting these milestones I think should be a priority
  • Options
    Yes. The biggest QoL improvements would be "Alpha 2." Then it'd be "Beta 1."

I'm sure you know, but there's kinda a subculture in the Ashes community skeptical the game will even make it to release. I'm not necessarily in that bucket, but hitting these milestones I think should be a priority

I remember that subculture being present over a couple years ago. Haven’t heard much on it recently, but it would be easy to overlook considering all of the transparency still with development. I completely agree that current milestones should remain priority, and that any suggestions made here should remain on the back burner if they were to cause delays in an already ambiguous release date.
  • Options
    Aeranduil wrote: »
    I remember that subculture being present over a couple years ago. Haven’t heard much on it recently, but it would be easy to overlook considering all of the transparency still with development.

The view is more prevalent in other places. Discord, YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, etc. all have community differences to some degree.

Presumably they're disillusioned MMO gamers. They've been let down many times by separate developers, and on top of that A2 was technically targeted to launch in the second quarter of 2019. So, it's not like they're irrational.

Easy enough to overlook depending on where you spend time. Tend to be on the louder end, I think some people write them off as "just being negative." They bring up some very valid points as far as I can tell.
    I completely agree that current milestones should remain priority, and that any suggestions made here should remain on the back burner if they were to cause delays in an already ambiguous release date.

Right. This view seems to be the overwhelming consensus. Nothing wrong with brainstorming QoL ideas though, particularly for people who are good at that, unlike myself. Hopefully you didn't feel like I was trying to shutdown discussion. Just highlighting a point

• Options
    I remember that subculture being present over a couple years ago. Haven’t heard much on it recently, but it would be easy to overlook considering all of the transparency still with development.

The view is more prevalent in other places. Discord, YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, etc. all have community differences to some degree.

Presumably they're disillusioned MMO gamers. They've been let down many times by separate developers, and on top of that A2 was technically targeted to launch in the second quarter of 2019. So, it's not like they're irrational.

Easy enough to overlook depending on where you spend time. Tend to be on the louder end, I think some people write them off as "just being negative." They bring up some very valid points as far as I can tell.
    I completely agree that current milestones should remain priority, and that any suggestions made here should remain on the back burner if they were to cause delays in an already ambiguous release date.

Right. This view seems to be the overwhelming consensus. Nothing wrong with brainstorming QoL ideas though, particularly for people who are good at that, unlike myself. Hopefully you didn't feel like I was trying to shutdown discussion. Just highlighting a point

Not at all. I’ve been 50/50 on wanting the game now no matter it’s state vs. a polished and finished project even if that meant a few extra years of solid development. Here’s hoping we get to see the inside of the game sometime this new year 🍻
  • Options
    I've another. System Messages displayed across screen so that I don't miss an emergency maintenance message and get kicked in the middle of a dungeon or other lengthy content. It would be doubly nice if this feature would auto-hide during cutscenes and display after exiting a scene (assuming Ashes will indeed have cutscenes).
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would love a character portrait next to my health/mana bars like Aion.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I definitely want the ability to 'temporarily place' my Freehold.

This can even be 'instanced' sort of since I probably won't be able to be attacked anyways. If I could really ask for a lot, I'd want 'temporary control over the weather effects and time of day that my character is seeing for the duration of my temp placement'.

One has all the time in the world to decorate and redecorate a building or a house in games that allow this, but the actual POSITION of something like a Freehold affects your 'sightlines', and I'd find it just a bit disappointing to lose out on a spot because I 'wasn't sure whether I prefer a specific part of it to face the sea or not' or things like that.

I'd probably just go for it anyway, if the spot was somehow very important, but if Freeholds don't move easily and I do play this game for a long time, it's going to become 'home' and I don't like the idea of 'regrets' about the position of something like that, if Intrepid can avoid it.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I really appreciate being able to determine the value of abilities past their base numbers, for example, as tank If i have an ability that gives me a flat % max hp shield decaying over 5 seconds that's great, but what i really want to see is how well I am using it, so if they can give me ways to determine exactly how well I am using my abilities that would be much appreciated.
  • Options
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    I really appreciate being able to determine the value of abilities past their base numbers, for example, as tank If i have an ability that gives me a flat % max hp shield decaying over 5 seconds that's great, but what i really want to see is how well I am using it, so if they can give me ways to determine exactly how well I am using my abilities that would be much appreciated.

Yes, very good point. I much prefer having access to numbered data. I want to know how much my dmg does, what kind of dmg, and how much armor mitigates damages, how resistances work, all in numbers, instead of just abstract terms with numbers in the coding.

• Options
    Ace1234Ace1234 Member
    edited January 2023
    I would like to see all of the classes' skills/augments build options/effects from the beginning, to know which ones I want to work toward.

To me it is worth avoiding the frustration of working for something that doesn't function the way you expected, even if that means giving up a little of that surpise that comes with not knowing what you get until you unlock it.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would like a Share Quest function for when in groups. I realise chain quests often can't be shared but it would be nice to share other quests when you first enter a group.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif