Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Interfacing through Verra: UX/UI Design

SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
We all interface through MMOs and experience different parts of it, sound, art, combat, NPC and PC interactions.

What aspects of User Experience and User Interface design do you find the most important?

What aspect of the UX/UI Design give you the most immersive and entertaining experience?

I can say for myself that I express myself through the combat, the combat-art, and combat-sound the most that create meaningful PC and NPC interactions, I get my entertainment value whether those interactions be emotionally positive or emotionally negative. There is something to be said when combat becomes a dance between strategy, tactics, sounds, and colors. Something between being immersed in the moment and thinking on my toes will always keep me entertained for hours on end. Call it a Wardance, but its one of the most important experiences for me in any MMO.

Art in combination with music with proper timing really has provided me with some awe-struck moments, like the first time I ever walked into Ironforge; it blew me away. There are some zones in the Tolkien Inspired Gamerverse that will always never cease to amaze me. And there are a few zones that I absolutely love, Wood Elf lands in ESO. Dwarf and Troll lands in WoW. Sylvari lands in GW2.

When you combine that Wardance and Environmental experience, it's lead me to some of my best relationships. Number one being my wife, I met her because of these UX/Ui Designs. I'm married because I found her in our mutual enjoyment of the MMO genre even.

It's also lead me to some really good friendships, people who are like brothers to me since I was a kid. Whom at anytime I know I can call up and talk to.

It's lead to some of the best guild mates and comrades I could ever hope to find and some of the best enemies I could ever hope to smash with a hammer or disintegrate with a spell.

You're up.
-S

Comments

• Options
    For me, it's a combination of the Art, Music, and Community. Beautiful scenery, music, and player characters all blending together to create a living world. I love feeling immersed in MMORPGS. In depth systems that allow for various ways to play give everyone something different to do. I could be questing and come across someone gathering herbs in the distance, or running by on their way to another town.

The combat is definitely important to me too, but more so if there is an in-depth rpg element behind it. I really enjoy theory crafting a character. I start with a role playing archetype like a fire mage, a massive 2h fighter, or a dual wielding rogue, then use the games systems to create my character. When it all comes together, I feel as if I am one of those characters adventuring through the lands. As cool as some single player games are, nothing beats having real people to populate the world.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Cultured wrote: »
    For me, it's a combination of the Art, Music, and Community. Beautiful scenery, music, and player characters all blending together to create a living world. I love feeling immersed in MMORPGS. In depth systems that allow for various ways to play give everyone something different to do. I could be questing and come across someone gathering herbs in the distance, or running by on their way to another town.

The combat is definitely important to me too, but more so if there is an in-depth rpg element behind it. I really enjoy theory crafting a character. I start with a role playing archetype like a fire mage, a massive 2h fighter, or a dual wielding rogue, then use the games systems to create my character. When it all comes together, I feel as if I am one of those characters adventuring through the lands. As cool as some single player games are, nothing beats having real people to populate the world.

I think that deep immersion feeling is definitely art consistency and continuity.

I've noticed from the prototype combat animations we've gotten they lack a bit of that consistency and continuity so as they continue on with the combat art maybe they take a look at that and bring it in line with the rest of the game.
  • Options
    deadmanspricedeadmansprice Moderator, Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    To be honest, you do make a pretty good point. Usually, I don't notice these things but then again, I'm not a sort to be that immersed. For example, you want the colours to compliment with each other rather than clash with each other when it comes to use of abilities. And I'm certain that there are people who tend to have more sensitve reactions to how the art looks with the environment and combat.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • Options
    To be honest, you do make a pretty good point. Usually, I don't notice these things but then again, I'm not a sort to be that immersed. For example, you want the colours to compliment with each other rather than clash with each other when it comes to use of abilities. And I'm certain that there are people who tend to have more sensitve reactions to how the art looks with the environment and combat.

The lack of artistic consistency and continuity really struck me with the ranger reveal.

Then upon reading streamers losing money for playing their favorite MMOs over FPS it really hit me how important that sort of thing is.

A lot of the advertising will be done by streamers with the numbers already or the streamers who are growing their channels now and in the near future.

Factor in the fact all of these other MMOs are releasing and sunken cost fallacy and there's a real gambit for Ashes to not get the play it'll deserve.