Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Buff effects

In some old games you could have passive/active buffs that would have a effect. eg a shield buff would make a bubble around you or a attack speed buff would make your weapon glow. Newer games seem to make buffs have a effect then disappear after some time. I just was wondering would it be possible to make spells stay visible til the effect wears off?

Comments

• Options
    As long as I can turn those off on my end (visually speaking), I'd be fine if they lasted a long time. Cause I ain't about to burn out my eyes from seeing 500++ people shining like the sun during a siege.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    As long as I can turn those off on my end (visually speaking), I'd be fine if they lasted a long time. Cause I ain't about to burn out my eyes from seeing 500++ people shining like the sun during a siege.

haha. true. Just i like playing support and i like seeing my buffs on other players easier to recast if there is a visual magic shield on tank etc.
  • Options
    Doovoon wrote: »
    haha. true. Just i like playing support and i like seeing my buffs on other players easier to recast if there is a visual magic shield on tank etc.
    What if you could see them like this?
    a29od7kph4g1.png

On the left, top to bottom goes Your character and then your party members. And next to all of your names you have the buff statuses.

This is the UI I'd prefer in Ashes. Big battles become super messy super quickly, so visibility of your mates in a crowd with be non-existent, while this UI feature would let you control your buffs perfectly.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2023
    I hate it but I have no solution or idea to add (well maybe...) Not a big fan of 10 - 42497627482 buffs on a player. Wish there is a hard cap. 3 Magical Buffs applied by players, 1 buff slot for any type of consumable and 1 buff slot from a quest/prayer/npc.

Now things becomes more strategic, like a classic turned based RPG

do you want attack buff? magical, melee or range?
    do you want physical or magical defense buff?
    do you want attack speed / haste buff? movement speed?
    Do you want MP or HP regen buff?
    Do you want STR, INT, AGI, WIS, etc specific buff?

you're allowed only 3. Not every buff comes from 1 class.

Some Enchanters (depending on secondary) may handle MP/HP
    Some Clerics (depending on secondary) may handle Physical Def, Physical Melee/Range Buff
    Some Bards (depending on secondary) May handle Haste, AGI, Evasion
    Some Mage (depending on secondary) may handle some magical attack/def

Now you look at the comp you have, what resources you got and use them wisely.

A Cleric/Fighter (aka Templar) may have Physical Atk buff but no Physical Def buff
    A Cleric / Cleric ( High Priest) may have Phy Def, but no Phy Atk buff
    A Cleric / Rogue (Sahdow Disc) has Phy Range Def buff
    A Cleric / Ranger (Protector) may have Phy Range Attack Buff
    A Cleric / Mage (Oracle) Magic def
    A cleric / Summoner (Shaman) Haste

Rinse Repeat with Echanter / X, Mage / X, Bard / X
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Options
    I wouldn’t expect many buffs for most classes.

WoW doesn’t have support classes, what they did was take the buffs and distribute them amongst all the classes instead, and this is what most people are used to.

Since AoC has support classes (bard) I’d expect most classes to have no group buffs at all and bards to provide almost everything.
  • Options
    a29od7kph4g1.png

On the left, top to bottom goes Your character and then your party members. And next to all of your names you have the buff statuses.

This is the UI I'd prefer in Ashes. Big battles become super messy super quickly, so visibility of your mates in a crowd with be non-existent, while this UI feature would let you control your buffs perfectly.

its more for small group dungeon style.. i always play either a chanter or healer style and like my buffs and being able to see them also. makes it more immersive over buffs in the top corner of the screen. hopefully we will have the ability to turn it off and on like you said to please us all. :)
  • Options
    novercalis wrote: »
    I hate it but I have no solution or idea to add (well maybe...) Not a big fan of 10 - 42497627482 buffs on a player. Wish there is a hard cap. 3 Magical Buffs applied by players, 1 buff slot for any type of consumable and 1 buff slot from a quest/prayer/npc.

Now things becomes more strategic, like a classic turned based RPG

do you want attack buff? magical, melee or range?
    do you want physical or magical defense buff?
    do you want attack speed / haste buff? movement speed?
    Do you want MP or HP regen buff?
    Do you want STR, INT, AGI, WIS, etc specific buff?

you're allowed only 3. Not every buff comes from 1 class.

Some Enchanters (depending on secondary) may handle MP/HP
    Some Clerics (depending on secondary) may handle Physical Def, Physical Melee/Range Buff
    Some Bards (depending on secondary) May handle Haste, AGI, Evasion
    Some Mage (depending on secondary) may handle some magical attack/def

Now you look at the comp you have, what resources you got and use them wisely.

A Cleric/Fighter (aka Templar) may have Physical Atk buff but no Physical Def buff
    A Cleric / Cleric ( High Priest) may have Phy Def, but no Phy Atk buff
    A Cleric / Rogue (Sahdow Disc) has Phy Range Def buff
    A Cleric / Ranger (Protector) may have Phy Range Attack Buff
    A Cleric / Mage (Oracle) Magic def
    A cleric / Summoner (Shaman) Haste

Rinse Repeat with Echanter / X, Mage / X, Bard / X

i think im a bit of a buff whore.. i like buff bloat. sort of makes support classes more fun to be able to over power the classes that cant have buffs. not a fan of limitations on how many buffs. im ok with stopping some level of buff stacking. but from a mid max it is sometimes cool have 4 different type of shields on the tank to be able to take on the big boss.
  • Options
    I definitely would prefer fewer buffs but have each buff be more impactful.
  • Options
    I like a moderate number of buffs but if limited in number allow all of them to stack. I never like groups being punished for bringing two of X class because they have the same buff. If your fighter brings an attack buff and you have a 2nd fighter let them stack or synergize. Maybe something akin to how the cleric's aoe debuff became a stun if they were already dazed. Like fighter 1 brings damage buff, fighter 2 makes it 30% stronger and actively demoralizes enemies adding an addition effect of -15% enemy damage.

Enough where 4 fighters isnt a meta marching around but having 3 rangers or rogues isn't a detriment to efficiency. Assassin coordination ftw.
  • Options
    a29od7kph4g1.png

its more for small group dungeon style.. i always play either a chanter or healer style and like my buffs and being able to see them also. makes it more immersive over buffs in the top corner of the screen. hopefully we will have the ability to turn it off and on like you said to please us all. :)

do you think you can really identify 20-30 buffs on someone? we are talking about 20-30 different effects...
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »
    a29od7kph4g1.png

do you think you can really identify 20-30 buffs on someone? we are talking about 20-30 different effects...

I was more meaning my buffs i put on others, as a healer i may have a shield buff and a dot heal (both with visual effects) i dont mean all possible buffs that everyone attaches.. but that would look cool in my eyes but im a junky for flashy colours.
  • Options
    a29od7kph4g1.png

I was more meaning my buffs i put on others, as a healer i may have a shield buff and a dot heal (both with visual effects) i dont mean all possible buffs that everyone attaches.. but that would look cool in my eyes but im a junky for flashy colours.

the cleric already has several HoT spells and you can see the green numbers floating next to ur target's body.
    also, what if you are the class that has 20 buffs? can you identify them on your target(s)?
  • Options
    a29od7kph4g1.png

the cleric already has several HoT spells and you can see the green numbers floating next to ur target's body.
    also, what if you are the class that has 20 buffs? can you identify them on your target(s)?

probably not be able too.. but still like being able to see them on the toon im casting them on.. but hey i guess we cant have it all :)
  • Options
    i mean sure go for it. i prefer seeing them on my menu hahaha
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think the buffs will be limited. The Bard is the main buffer. I don't consider HoTs to be a buff - i see them as status effects. Status effects should not go in the same UI Element as Buffs and Buffs shouldn't go in the same UI element as Debuffs. There must be separation for easier consumption.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    In some old games you could have passive/active buffs that would have a effect. eg a shield buff would make a bubble around you or a attack speed buff would make your weapon glow. Newer games seem to make buffs have a effect then disappear after some time. I just was wondering would it be possible to make spells stay visible til the effect wears off?

My take on buffs. The person who casts the buff usually has a little meter bar showing the buff they cast .Like a health bar .They only should see it and recast it when it runs out..Bubbles and shiny swords kind of stuff would literally overwhelm the screen. It is already crazy to look at during a raid,Hope they do not add to it.