Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How many professions with in your chosen artisan class would you like to be able to master?

It is possible to master up to two professions within this mastered artisan class per character (subject to testing).[6][5][7][3]

Currently we can only master 2. (Subject to testing.)

Would you be satisfied with only being able to master 2 professions? Would you want more or less? Why?

Personally i would feel more comfortable with 3. I wouldn't want to be too restricted and only 2 feels restricting, however I could live with it.

Thoughts? And ofcourse, a bit of in-game testing is required; just wanted to get general thoughts and feelings on this.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Two.

For background, the game in which I have experienced this system works like this:

You may raise ONE craft to 'level 100'.

But what is really happening is that you could (historical data) raise all crafts to level 60, and then you could distribute 40 additional points between any number of them.

The 'obvious' choice for most people was to raise 1 to 100.

The reason I would prefer 2 is the same reason I preferred 1 in that game. It's not supposed to be comfortable. And I definitely feel like 3 would be comfortable.

I believe (due to many games, not that one) that if the 'feeling' of crafting is too 'comfortable', it implies that people have too much capacity to be either self sufficient, or 'only need a small number of other people'.

So if I wanted to be 'comfortable', I would want 3, and because I don't believe that I should be, I want just two.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Settite wrote: »
    It is possible to master up to two professions within this mastered artisan class per character (subject to testing).[6][5][7][3]

Would you be satisfied with only being able to master 2 professions? Would you want more or less? Why?

Personally i would feel more comfortable with 3. I wouldn't want to be too restricted and only 2 feels restricting, however I could live with it.

Thoughts? And ofcourse, a bit of in-game testing is required; just wanted to get general thoughts and feelings on this.

Most would say that.. why not be able to master all of them? But i think this is an interesting dynamic that forces people to specialize and creates a more dynamic economy. Meaning the economy will need a full range of players to function optimally.

Offer and demand for profession specialization will fluctuate due to this. I find it interesting.

2 is an arbitrary number sorta, but Im fine with it! Because the 2 professions you specilize in will have to be in the same artisan tier It doesnt allow you to combine professions but that isnt the point.

Classes of the same tier dont reallllly mix and match except for some exceptions like cooking and farming, farming and weaving, animal husbandry and tanning (yikes :P:), and few others.

That too will be interesting, because you will ideally have to cooperate with peoiple in other artisan tiers to optimize your own artisanery.

Sure you could argue for 1 or 3 or 4 or 5.. but im fine with 2. It makes you have to chose.

Note you can always have other classes on alts from what I understand, so thats something.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    Two.

For background, the game in which I have experienced this system works like this:

But what is really happening is that you could (historical data) raise all crafts to level 60, and then you could distribute 40 additional points between any number of them.

The reason I would prefer 2 is the same reason I preferred 1 in that game. It's not supposed to be comfortable. And I definitely feel like 3 would be comfortable.

I believe (due to many games, not that one) that if the 'feeling' of crafting is too 'comfortable', it implies that people have too much capacity to be either self sufficient, or 'only need a small number of other people'.

So if I wanted to be 'comfortable', I would want 3, and because I don't believe that I should be, I want just two.

A fair assessment. Might i ask, what was the name of the game in question?
  • Options
    Gui10 wrote: »

Most would say that.. why not be able to master all of them? But i think this is an interesting dynamic that forces people to specialize and creates a more dynamic economy. Meaning the economy will need a full range of players to function optimally.

Offer and demand for profession specialization will fluctuate due to this. I find it interesting.

2 is an arbitrary number sorta, but Im fine with it! Because the 2 professions you specilize in will have to be in the same artisan tier It doesnt allow you to combine professions but that isnt the point.

Classes of the same tier dont reallllly mix and match except for some exceptions like cooking and farming, farming and weaving, animal husbandry and tanning (yikes :P:), and few others.

That too will be interesting, because you will ideally have to cooperate with peoiple in other artisan tiers to optimize your own artisanery.

Sure you could argue for 1 or 3 or 4 or 5.. but im fine with 2. It makes you have to chose.

Note you can always have other classes on alts from what I understand, so thats something.

I understand where ur coming from. I've never really clicked with Alts. I see myself as the person I the game as opposed to someone just controlling them if that makes sense.
  • Options
    When choosing a profession, what matters most to you:

Wealth generation? Or the utility the profession offers you?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Two.

Final Fantasy XI, which is 'almost always the game I'm talking about' (in case it comes up in future).

Here is the brief explanation, but I covered the relevant part already.

To me, these are the same thing, and when they stop being the same thing outright, I usually don't play the game for very long. My standards are 'everything should be both', even if the total effectiveness at either fluctuates.

So that players can choose almost purely by enjoyment/comfort/natural inclination instead of 'having to think too much about it'. Crafting is often a long term commitment and a difficult and expensive choice to change, so I hope the Economy Designers really make an effort to reach this level.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    2 is fine, though I would even consider basing it off of the number of professions within the artisan class category.

5 gathering
    9 processing
    8 crafting.

With these numbers, I feel like only 1 gathering mastery should be allowed, or 2 in either of the other categories. Some may say this is "unfair" for gatherers, but honestly with almost half the options, you should get half of the mysteries as well. And that's coming from someone who likely plans on gathering.

3 or more masteries in any of the artisan class categories feels a bit much. You aren't supposed to be able to comfortably do everything yourself when it comes to professions, you need to rely on other players to progress in professions, and vice versa.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    To me 2 seems just enough to have some variety in your artisan gameplay, but not many enough to cover too much ground.
  • Options

That's a very good question! For me, it's a balance. It has to bring me good utility, I want to feel like I provide something to the people I play with, the region I am in (zone of influence) and myself of course, AND it also has to provide me with some wealth,

Hbu?
  • Options

I tend to switch it up as needed. I tend to go for making more wealth early game, and then switching to utility for late game. That being said I both agree and disagree with @Azherae. While I do believe professions should all have some degree of wealth generation and utility, I also believe some should lean more one way than another. My reasoning for this ties into the risk vs reward mentality of the design. You can risk more wealth opportunities in favor of more utility and vice versa. Gives more weight to choosing a profession.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    One, for the health of the economy and the social aspect of the mmo.

If you go from one to two, straight away you cut in half the value of all raw materials, processed goods and crafted items in the entire game.

The devs have said you will only be able to master one job. You wont go far with the rest, and for a good reason.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've often struggled with one skill let alone multiple skills. I appreciate the limitations but I will probably still be a simple gatherer.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Two.

Final Fantasy XI, which is 'almost always the game I'm talking about' (in case it comes up in future).

Here is the brief explanation, but I covered the relevant part already.

To me, these are the same thing, and when they stop being the same thing outright, I usually don't play the game for very long. My standards are 'everything should be both', even if the total effectiveness at either fluctuates.

So that players can choose almost purely by enjoyment/comfort/natural inclination instead of 'having to think too much about it'. Crafting is often a long term commitment and a difficult and expensive choice to change, so I hope the Economy Designers really make an effort to reach this level.

Ty for the insight.
  • Options
    Dolyem wrote: »
    2 is fine, though I would even consider basing it off of the number of professions within the artisan class category.

5 gathering
    9 processing
    8 crafting.

With these numbers, I feel like only 1 gathering mastery should be allowed, or 2 in either of the other categories. Some may say this is "unfair" for gatherers, but honestly with almost half the options, you should get half of the mysteries as well. And that's coming from someone who likely plans on gathering.

3 or more masteries in any of the artisan class categories feels a bit much. You aren't supposed to be able to comfortably do everything yourself when it comes to professions, you need to rely on other players to progress in professions, and vice versa.

That makes sense. I typically play with a small group of friends and I'm really ever the only one who wishes to stay on the"bleeding edge" so to speak. They prefer more casual activities than I and I'd rather not tell them to not pick what profession they want since we will most likely have double ups. At 3 I don't believe it'd b much of an issue, but 2? There's a possibility. Food for thought I suppose. Ty for the input.
  • Options
    Gui10 wrote: »

That's a very good question! For me, it's a balance. It has to bring me good utility, I want to feel like I provide something to the people I play with, the region I am in (zone of influence) and myself of course, AND it also has to provide me with some wealth,

Hbu?

Typically for me it's the utility. I typically make my own amor, weapons, enchantments and even potions and what not if it's not too time consuming. I enjoy pvp mostly. Everything i do in an mmo usually revolves around making myself stronger.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I've often struggled with one skill let alone multiple skills. I appreciate the limitations but I will probably still be a simple gatherer.

What type of gatherer? Might i ask.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if there are different gathering professions. I think a gatherer can gather everything. Otherwise, I would pick whatever enables me to get resources from raid bosses.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I'd be fine with one (1) master profession per character ... but I make no bones about how much backlash I would get for that idea.

2 it is then.
  • Options

1 gathering, 1 crafting, 1 refining. 1 or 2 isn't bad either, it promotes more player interaction. but I prefer farming tbh
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    2 is ok for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing some benefits to staying with one. Not in terms of output quality or quantity, but perhaps in terms of being able to go a little higher in one of the other two artisan trees. Not up to master, but higher than if you choose to master two skills.

For example, if mastering weaponsmithing and deciding not to master any other of the crafting skills, let the player become a Journeyman miner too. If the player decides to master both weapon and armorsmithing, they would have to stay as Noob miner.
  • Options
    nerakineraki Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    In every game, I focus on making money. That's why I always try to have more than one character to ensure the best possible professions for my own use.
    Two professions per character are enough. However, if it were possible to learn all on one character as in NW. Alts could be avoided.
  • Options
    As a non-crafter, I enjoy games where I can't master more than 1 as I enjoy the "community" of trying to create a marketplace instead of the route NW took with AIO crafting or in the case of like SWG (which I love but not for this reason) that you can just make alts for every profession and again be fully self-sufficient. Many of my friends literally had their own infrastructure and didn't need to talk to anyone for days on end to fully harvest/craft anything they needed and I do not like that.

Obviously take all of this with a grain of salt, but I am all for pushing closer to something where you can master 1-2 skills out of many and need to rely on guild, your single alt (or limited alts), and the market to fulfill your needs.
  • Options
    I would like the option to generalize over specialize within an artisan skill tree. I know this is not optimal, but more options is better than less options.
  • Options
    2 is ok, you can still make alt characters just for life skills isn't it?
    dtdyedwolvjf.jpg
  • Options
    Darkbolt wrote: »
    isn't it?

It isn't, is it? It is it.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif