Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

AoC - monitor choice

Hey guys.

I'm currently building a PC, I've been saving up my money for the last few years. I've slowly started purchasing components but I just don't know what monitor to choose.

I'll mainly be playing AoC and Star citizen. Not sure whether to go ultra wide, oled, qd oled, mini led! There are so many to choose from. Just wondering if any of you guys have experience with these different formats in mmorpgs.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated 👍🏼

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, I'm waiting for RTX 5000 before I get my computer. RTX 4000 has been a let down although the 4090 is very good. I'm also looking into screens. I wouldn't get Oled due to screen burn in and QD-Oled has been said to prevent screen burn in but QD Oled is so new it can't be tested yet. Mini Led and IPS panels are where I'm looking at the moment. Its difficult to give you an opinion on ultra wide or not because I don't know your planned specs.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    For one I just hope you are planning on going dual or triple monitor. I would also suggest, if you do that, to get identical copies so that they integrate seemlessly with eachother, same luminosity and image quality. Imho dual screen makes a much better gaming experience because it allows you to easily tab out to look for online ressources like maps, quest helpers, crafting guides, change your music, browse whatever, and so on.
    s
    I dont have any specific monitor brand to suggest but in general, you want to pick the type you are comfortable with. Ultra wide might look and sound cool but it might not be the right fit for you. I personally dont like it. I usualy go reallll standard, bigger than smaller. And depends on your budget ofc!
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    I wouldn't get Oled due to screen burn in and QD-Oled has been said to prevent screen burn in but QD Oled is so new it can't be tested yet. Mini Led and IPS panels are where I'm looking at the moment. Its difficult to give you an opinion on ultra wide or not because I don't know your planned specs.

I'm also worried about potential burn in with oled monitors, so maybe I should go the mini led route. Ideally I'd like a high spec monitor that can make AoC and Star citizen look as good as possible.

As for PC specs, I'm picking up the AMD 7950x3d next month, the rest of the components I have purchased are:

power color 7900xtx red devil gpu
    64gb ddr5 6000mhz cl32
    Seasonic prime 1300px PSU
    Asus ROG strix x670e-e gaming wifi Mobo
    Fire cuda 530 nvme ssds
    Gui10 wrote: »
    For one I just hope you are planning on going dual or triple monitor.

Well I am planning on keeping my current 27" ips monitor and using that as a second monitor for discord/web pages etc. So ideally thinking of getting one high spec monitor to play games and my current on will be desk mounted next to it.

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Red Devil Psu suggestion: 355 watt max draw.
    AMD 7950x3d suggestion: 120 watts max draw.

These are the biggest power draws. Why have you gone for a 1300w PSU? In theory you can get a better 750w psu or if you need a lot of peripherals a better 1000watt PSU.

You do not have to change the psu but you have a lot of excess you just won't need it.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

These are the biggest power draws. Why have you gone for a 1300w PSU? In theory you can get a better 750w psu or if you need a lot of peripherals a better 1000watt PSU.

You do not have to change the psu but you have a lot of excess you just won't need.

Well I purposely chose an overkill PSU because of the way the industry seems to be going ... Higher power draw! I'm thinking if I change my GPU or CPU later in the AM5 life cycle, that I may need the extra horsepower.
  • Options
    Just been looking at mini led panels. The Samsung Neo G8 is looking pretty sweet. Have any of you guys got this monitor?
  • Options
    I will assume you will stick with AMD? It means you have more screens to choose from. You would be fine with a 1000w psu for future scoping. Unless you start doubling cards.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Quentus wrote: »
    Just been looking at mini led panels. The Samsung Neo G8 is looking pretty sweet. Have any of you guys got this monitor?

Yes. The G8 is very awesome. The HDR is excellent and I've requested HDR support in Ashes. I'm personally torn between the G8 and the Asus Rog swift G-Sync monitor. 32inches is perfect for 4k. The screens will produce absolute beauty.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    QuentusQuentus Member
    edited January 2023

Yes. The G8 is very awesome. The HDR is excellent and I've requested HDR support in Ashes. I'm personally torn between the G8 and the Asus Rog swift G-Sync monitor. 32inches is perfect for 4k. The screens will produce absolute beauty.

Oh that's great to hear. I'll definitely do some more research on those 2 monitors. Did you ever get any response with regards to hdr support in AoC?

As for your earlier question about AMD. Yes, I'll stick with AMD for cpu but in a few years could possibly change GPU manufacturer.
  • Options
    The devs didn't decline the request much like my old request for ue5. I got an awesome surprise when ue5 was confirmed and I hope for another with HDR support.

We won't know much until a2 but hdr support could come with the final flourishes before launch. I find it's best to ask in advance to see what can be done.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Awesome. Thanks for all your help mate 👍🏼
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    Steven Sharif likes his ultra-wides, so you can be fairly sure Ashes will have great support for those.

With the 7900XTX you can probably do a regular 4K resolution with decent FPS. I use a 4K 120Hz monitor myself and I am very happy with it. AoC is gorgeous, even in A1 when they used UE4, and it's only improved with UE5. There is a lot of detail in the game, so to me going 4K makes the most sense for maximum eye candy.

If I had the money I'd try his one: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/341901-ces-2023-samsung-unveils-worlds-first-57-inch-8k-ultrawide-oled-gaming-monitors ;) But I am honestly not sure even the 4090 can handle 7,680×2,160p at decent FPS.
  • Options
    Don't game in 8k. Most of the time there is no difference between 4k and 8k. Though, the devs might encode for 8k support but there are hardly any games that do. With the lack of card sync support from Nvidia or AMD now - they kiboshed it to stop the 4k on 980s synergies to make us buy better cards, you would be hard pressed to pass 30fps let alone 60fps on a single card.

4k requires 24gig of vram to operate at the best levels - as in 4k max graphics, raytracing and hdr. 4k hdr blows 8k native out of the water.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    QuentusQuentus Member
    edited January 2023
    Nerror wrote: »
    If I had the money I'd try his one: https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/341901-ces-2023-samsung-unveils-worlds-first-57-inch-8k-ultrawide-oled-gaming-monitors ;) But I am honestly not sure even the 4090 can handle 7,680×2,160p at decent FPS.

Haha, it's funny you should mention that monitor. I was checking that out from some of the CES coverage. It's crazy!! Too large and too curved for my personal preference (I say that, I've never tried anything like it!)

I can't wait for alpha 2 so I can experience ashes for myself. I didn't back the project early enough to gain access to alpha one. I think I'm leaning towards a 4k monitor rather than an ultra wide now. The neo G8 is the front runner. Like you say, the 7900xtx will have the horse power to drive a 4k panel with decent frame rates 😃
  • Options

You do not have to change the psu but you have a lot of excess you just won't need it.

PSunits are built for optimal efficiency at 50% draw, this changes according with the rating, but unless you go the super premium route you never want to have a PSU with a max wattage anywhere near your draw.
  • Options
    Hence why I suggest a 750w psu and not a 500w psu. The power efficiency at low wattage is absolute rubbish when the psu is over 1000w. AMD performs better at low wattage compared to Intel and Nvidia, thus, you should not negate the benefits of the one system type over the other.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Your expectation is that he won't use a liquid cooler as well which considering the CPU he definitely should, which would mean 495 watts is no longer the mid point.
  • Options
    I'm not sure of what mid point you are gleaning 495w from...475 is the cumulative max power draw of the cpu and gpu, I said that 1000w to be used if there are a lot of peripherals.

Usually you go larger psu if you oc or dual card but water cooling should take no more than 80w unless you have a dual card setup.

With water cooling 555w power draw still falls under a 750w psu. If you really want to be comfy you could go 850watt psu. I guess you can buy rubbish parts but I felt the op can afford decent gear.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I did not know that AMD performed differently.
  • Options
    Well, I keep an eye on the situation because I want max performance for less power draw from the wall.

Ddr5 is 20% less power draw than ddr4. AMD architecture also draws less power than Intel and Nvidia, however, Intel and Nvidia usually have the performance edge.

I used to just buy the best of any bracket - often Intel and Nvidia, these days I buy the screen first and then build a system best designed to harness the screen.

When I grew up I used to build amd systems and I'm still amd at the core. I like the current AMD line up but Ashes isn't even in A2 yet. I will build a system prior to Ashes release.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I got a good deal on the PSU over black Friday and felt that it would serve me well long term. Who knows, I may end up Nvidia next generation, who knows how much power the next gen Nvidia cards will need 😳
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    Your expectation is that he won't use a liquid cooler as well which considering the CPU he definitely should, which would mean 495 watts is no longer the mid point.

I'm going air cooling this time. I've built custom water loops in the past, used aio's and tbh I just like the simplicity and lack of maintenance that a high performance air cooler provides. Plus, the case I have purchased is really good for air cooling and not quite as well designed for aio's.
  • Options
    VoxtriumVoxtrium Member
    edited January 2023
    @Neurath I did the same, my dad worked at RFMD back when it existed, he brought me to work when I was 15 and I pilfered their garbage electronics for my first build, have been building my own computers ever since, started off with AMD, bricked my computer recently and thought I would try the new 13 series Intel processors for their single core performance. So far so good. Totally agree with you on screen first then computer, no point in having 4k if you can't run it, no point in being able to run 4k if your monitor is 1080p. Only caveat ofc is performance at whichever resolution.
  • Options
    I got a good deal on the PSU over black Friday and felt that it would serve me well long term. Who knows, I may end up Nvidia next generation, who knows how much power the next gen Nvidia cards will need 😳
    Voxtrium wrote: »

I'm going air cooling this time. I've built custom water loops in the past, used aio's and tbh I just like the simplicity and lack of maintenance that a high performance air cooler provides. Plus, the case I have purchased is really good for air cooling and not quite as well designed for aio's.

Braver than me, I always find air cooling to be lack luster as soon as I start nearing the upper end of my hardware's limits, and I have a thing for large games like X4:foundations.
  • Options
    After doing some more monitor research I've decided to pick up a Samsung Neo G8. I like the 4k resolution, hdr performance, refresh rate and the fact that I won't ever have to deal with potential oled burn in from ui elements.
  • Options
    I have the G7 and G3, pretty good, G8 was out of my price range when I was originally looking, I hope it serves you well though, I love the Samsung monitor series.
  • Options
    probaly want something thats ultra wide resolution and atleas t120hz refresh rate and ull be fine :P
  • Options
    Will wait to see the price of the Odyssey Neo G9. RTX 4000 doesn't have DP 2.1 though but I'm planning to build at rtx5000 which I assume will have DP 2.1. 32:9 Aspect ratio with HDR and 16.5 million pixels should look beautiful.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    by the time AoC and Star Citizen launch we will be playing in 12k monitors with 800hz by 2040 so don't worry about it B)
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    I figure 1 year for A2 and then the Betas and then the launch so the earliest we would launch is late 2025 or 2026 right now.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Will wait to see the price of the Odyssey Neo G9. RTX 4000 doesn't have DP 2.1 though but I'm planning to build at rtx5000 which I assume will have DP 2.1. 32:9 Aspect ratio with HDR and 16.5 million pixels should look beautiful.

The 32:9 aspect ratio, aren't you worried that will impact your ability to actually see everything that is on your screen?

I would probably say 6 months for Alpha launch, Alpha for 1 year then each beta lasting 1 month with 1 month between then launch.