Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should Ashes of Creation target PS5 and Xbox Series X.

A lot of upcoming mmorpgs are targeting the Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X platform as well as PC. Archeage 2, Throne and Liberty and Liberty and Blue Protocol are all receiving console release as well. This started because the MMORPG has reached a saturation point of PC and developers realized they can revive mmoprgs by releasing on console. The first mmorpg to release on console was Phantasy Star Online after wards Final Fantasy 11, Phantasy Star Online 2, Final Fantasy XIV, Destiny and Black Desert Online. Ashes of Creation would do better if they targeted consoles as well because it is easy to convince them to try that open wold sandpark game then a pc gamer.

Comments

• Options
    If UE5 allows for it (guess it does cause so many mmos do this now), it'd be better to plan for this at a later stage of development. Spending time on a PS/Xbox version could be very detrimental, because it might delay the game for even longer while not really paying off in the long run cause the game doesn't fit the console audience. I think TL's experience will show whether it's viable to have a new mmo on a console.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The devs used to say no third party platforms and no console ports.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I can't imagine this is a priority for the AOC team, and I am not sure I agree with your points. Consoles bring many limitations and problems to games, might not be within IS best interest to be a multiplatform game.
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    I once started my MMO journey on console so I don't mind this at all.

Most people start gaming on consoles nowadays. It is a lot more convenient for families and gen Z (students/low income) to own a console, VS a whole desk setup that just takes up space in an already difficult market to own/rent anything with enough space. I mean everyone owns a TV right? Much easier to set up + it's more affordable. We are in a recession and people would rather prefer spending $300-$500 on a console VS $1000+ on a PC.

PC gaming is a dying breed compared to mobile gaming (50%) and console (30%), with PC gamers only making up 25% in the gaming industry. A new gamer would not stroll over to BestBuy to buy a PC. You're typically more on the experienced side when owning a gaming PC, as PC's are something you need to invest into and keep up.

I do not think it is a priority at the very moment for Intrepid to focus on, but could def be something they could add later on to bring in additional revenue streams.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    I once started my MMO journey on console so I don't mind this at all.

Most people start gaming on consoles nowadays. It is a lot more convenient for families and gen Z (students/low income) to own a console, VS a whole desk setup that just takes up space in an already difficult market to own/rent anything with enough space. I mean everyone owns a TV right? Much easier to set up + it's more affordable. We are in a recession and people would rather prefer spending $300-$500 on a console VS $1000+ on a PC.

PC gaming is a dying breed compared to mobile gaming (50%) and console (30%), with PC gamers only making up 25% in the gaming industry. A new gamer would not stroll over to BestBuy to buy a PC. You're typically more on the experienced side when owning a gaming PC, as PC's are something you need to invest into and keep up.

I do not think it is a priority at the very moment for Intrepid to focus on, but could def be something they could add later on to bring in additional revenue streams.

target audience bruh.
  • Options
    PC gaming is a dying breed compared to mobile gaming (50%) and console (30%), with PC gamers only making up 25% in the gaming industry.
    I would take heavy issue with the statement "dying breed" the number of PC gamers is growing it's just that mobile gamers are the majority of new gamer growth over the last few decades. PC is certainly not declining as a format just other areas of gaming have grown more quickly. With the whole of the gaming industry exploding over the last 20 years.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ashes of Creation will be released on the Windows PC platform.[1][2]

Console support may be added at a later point.[1][2]
    Native Linux support may be possible in future.[1][3]
    Q: Will the upgrade to UE5 affect the supported systems? A lot of people are like linux question mark.[1]

A: It's something that we'll evaluate in the future. I haven't ruled it out necessarily- would see how much work it would take to do that, but really like less than one percent of the player base is using Linux.[1] – Steven Sharif
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    As long as they focus on it after release and we don't get cross-platform play (as in, PC-users play together only with other PC users), sure, why not. If it brings in more revenue for more ingame content, that's all good with me.
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited January 2023
    Completely agree with the people who said ''as long as they do this after the release''.

Obviously getting more players to play with us would be great but not at the cost of releasing the game notably later and not at the cost of it releasing with lesser quality.

If I hear they're working on it as part of an expansion pack I would be totally cool with it, since AoC isn't a theme park type mmo where no new content means a boring, redundant game, since people make their own story and fun in AoC with the Node system for example.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    The only reason I'd consider this to be worth it is that Console MMOs have a slightly better resistance to botting and certain other even more devious types of manipulation.

I say that as a Console MMO player since 2003.

Even with UE5, the quality checks and so on required to get updates out on Consoles is the sort of thing that requires a whole team and additional liaison/legal department.

The Cosmetic Shop would also need to be integrated with the PS Store and follow all their rules, for example.

There are multiple other rules/systems for interactions that are just jumping through hoops for Intrepid.

I'd say that if they had such a build path option, 'End of Alpha-2' would not be bad. I think the rules are less strict for 'Betas' and they could iron out a LOT of stuff, since they have a long-planned Dev process anyway.

So it comes down to money. If they have enough to hire the sort of staff involved, great and can find those people, it's probably worth a shot to get some Console 'Early Access' and 'Beta tests' going (you are allowed to limit people's ability to join these based on outside factors, I believe this includes 'paying you through methods other than the Console Store').

Mostly it might actually most depend on the UI...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    No
  • Options
    It shouldn't target but if they can port it after a successful release that is fine.
  • Options
    No, PC only. If you're a console player then buy a PC.
  • Options
    I'm generally not a fan of MMOs on gaming consoles. Every gaming console MMO I've played restricts the amount of spells you can use during gameplay due to the limitation of buttons on the controller, which takes away from the experience of playing on a PC imo.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    I'm generally not a fan of MMOs on gaming consoles. Every gaming console MMO I've played restricts the amount of spells you can use during gameplay due to the limitation of buttons on the controller, which takes away from the experience of playing on a PC imo.

some people dont have a choice and some wont play on pc. Generally, there are no restrictions on what spells you can use though it is just more difficult to manage the ui on console and slower potentially.
  • Options
    The sad part is when games UI is optimized for controllers and they add unneeded mouse clicks for the keyboard+mouse users.
    Developers do not like to create two completely separate ui to satisfy both.

Also controller users need auto aim, isn't it?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    The sad part is when games UI is optimized for controllers and they add unneeded mouse clicks for the keyboard+mouse users.
    Developers do not like to create two completely separate ui to satisfy both.

Also controller users need auto aim, isn't it?

We do not.

Not here to 'champion the cause' or anything, see above, but no, we do not need auto-aim.

The bonus that KBM users get is actually a convention not a 'sensible reality', and has been solved since Legend of Zelda on Nintendo 64 for third person games.

We're fine.

• Options
    No thank you
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options

The PC gaming market is set to be worth $45.5 billion in 2021.
    (Statista)

Statistics on gaming on PCs tell us that some 48% of all owners use the device to play video games.
    (GlobalWebIndex)

The free-to-play PC game market revenue worldwide rose to $21.3 billion in 2019.
    (Clairfield International)

Some 66% of all game studios are currently creating games for the PC platform.
    (Game Developers Conference)

https://fortunly.com/statistics/video-game-industry-statistics/

PC Master Race
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »

The PC gaming market is set to be worth $45.5 billion in 2021.
    (Statista)

Statistics on gaming on PCs tell us that some 48% of all owners use the device to play video games.
    (GlobalWebIndex)

The free-to-play PC game market revenue worldwide rose to $21.3 billion in 2019.
    (Clairfield International)

Some 66% of all game studios are currently creating games for the PC platform.
    (Game Developers Conference)

https://fortunly.com/statistics/video-game-industry-statistics/

PC Master Race

You are such an incredibly masterful troll when you wanna be.

Hats off, no sarc, lol.

• Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    PC Master Race
    5oxutg0990nh.gif
    Now let's see the Mobile stats.
    rj9u8vndu0jo.png
    And this was a year before Genshin, that singlehandedly brings in $1++b every 6 months :D
  • Options
    At least we get an AoC android app :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    Should Ashes of creation Target Android and Iphone?

A lot of upcoming mmorpgs are targeting the Android and Iphone platform as well as PC. Genshin impact, Throne and Liberty and Liberty and Night crow are all receiving mobile release as well. This started because the MMORPG has reached a saturation point of PC and developers realized they can revive mmoprgs by releasing on mobile. The first mmorpg to release on mobile was Genshin impact after wards fornite, albion online, Bless unleashed, Destiny and Black Desert Online. Ashes of Creation would do better if they targeted mobile as well because it is easy to convince them to try that open world sandpark game then a pc gamer.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    No, and that's why im not interested in AA2, TL, Blue Protocol, shitty classless system games with weapons giving 6 skills max you can use so it's playable on console, terrible game design.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    People out here thinking you can only use 6 skills on consoel when that is not the case :/. Also people not realizing you can use keyboard and mouse on console as well.
  • Options
    Console and mobile gaming heavily restrict the gameplay possibilities by the shear limit of buttons. not to mention chat. Cross platform works for game that require 5-10 buttons.
  • Options
    Console does not limit the amount of buttons because of the cross hotbar and triggers which give a total of 32 skills. The thing that limits mmorpgs now is that they have to work with the minimum pcs specs which are below the current generation consoles. The real limitation is that Ashes of Creation would need additional staff to handle console checks.
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »

That is more because they designed the game have a limited amount of spells. Look at FFXIV each job can have up to 32 spells because of the cross bar.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    The devs used to say no third party platforms and no console ports.

They can changes their mind.