Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The Appeal of An Easy PvX MMORPG

2»

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »
    I am not one of those lucky people who can 'attempt to do a known impossible thing and derive joy from failing at it'. The joy is knowing that I COULD win if I did it perfectly. Once I can do it perfectly, that's it, and depending on the game's complexity, PvE and sometimes PvP can just be 'done perfectly'.

When there is nothing you could do better, I'd hope you were winning or that your opponent was in the same boat at which point the Balance Team or the RNG is the one deciding the outcome. Because of the way I experience games, to me this still counts as 'easy', I'm just spending my time doing something easy and still losing.

I know NiKr can enjoy this for some reason.
    I think it's because to me it becomes a puzzle of "finding the lowest limit of my power that's still enough to clear the content". In the context of the game being super easy, you'd already have cleared all the content in the game, so, if you then had to redo that content - you'd be playing a sandbox of "make your own fun".

And removing gear is not really necessary in an mmo. You can go down in tiers, you can limit the amount of resources you have (if they come into play during the content), you can limit the abilities you use. You, pretty much, just become your own biggest enemy. And any potential rng just blurs the line of the possible, but that is the case with pretty much all content (if it has rng of course).

In other words, I play my own game within the game that devs made for me B) I find it quite interesting that you don't really like this kind of approach to sandboxy games. Though I guess that's just the difference in the games we play and, most likely, our skill lvls.

I definitely don't mind the approach, it's just that I'm blessed with too analytical a mind, so I can 'solve the puzzle without playing it' sometimes (I do often still play to confirm it, which can be sort of fun once or twice).

Dygz once joked(?) that I'm a human DPS meter, but honestly it's not too far off. So anything you assume 'a meter would make trivial to check and understand', is probably within the REALM of things I tend to 'solve' in the same way that running the meter would, which is often why fighting games are the 'only thing that has the effect' and according to some opponents, I just do it there too.

So to put that in perspective relative to the topic. A sandbox game can be simplistic in terms of the number or styles of things that you as a player are able to do, and that simplicity can lead to 'reaching perfection quickly'. This is often a requirement for the game to be 'easy enough for certain players to understand'.

What I CAN say I disagree with, to an extent, is 'limiting the abilities I use'. Because 'holding back on the Class Fantasy roleplay that I built up on my character' kinda isn't the point? If I 'refused to use my best damage attack' in a game to 'challenge myself', there's only a few game types/situations where this would make the experience more fun for me. After a while, it would definitely feel like it was in my best interest to find a different game, except for the aforementioned aspect. I could maintain 'prestige and power' or 'RolePlay opportunities'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    What I CAN say I disagree with, to an extent, is 'limiting the abilities I use'. Because 'holding back on the Class Fantasy roleplay that I built up on my character' kinda isn't the point? If I 'refused to use my best damage attack' in a game to 'challenge myself', there's only a few game types/situations where this would make the experience more fun for me. After a while, it would definitely feel like it was in my best interest to find a different game, except for the aforementioned aspect. I could maintain 'prestige and power' or 'RolePlay opportunities'.
    So yeah, this is the biggest difference between our povs then. Cause in 90% of pvps in L2 I literally had to disregard my class' biggest (and pretty much class-defining) tool, because it made the class insanely OP in most pvp encounters.

And I'd usually only start using that tool if I've already tried my own approach several times before and started to see that it just might not work out in the end.

I think Pai Mei is my ultimate RP in mmos :D Beat others at a huge limitation of my power and if they prove to be more skillful - I'll go higher in the amount of abilities I use
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETTsJggQl3I