Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Rogue + stealth

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
as I'm sure a huge portion of the player base will play rogue as they always do, what are some things you would love to see implemented on the rogue class?

for me i would love to see control, stealth, big burst damage and ways to escape, i know intrepid have spoken about stealth not being 100% hidden however i hope there are ways to spec into it so you can hide your self, or maybe rogue + rogue being an assasin could have the opportunity to spec into full stealth mode, i think rogue in wow classic is an almost perfect design of how a rogue should feel, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    A thin boi with big deeps. That's pretty much it. Though if Intrepid decide to go deep on detargetting abilities - the rogue should definitely be the master of those.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    I preferred my gw2 rogue. Flips over heads, back flips and side flips. I think stealth only allows one style wonders whereas rogues should be more about engagement and disengagement. I think stealth is a cheap way to show these facets.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I'd like to see rogues with positional dependant skills. Not only backstab, but some from the sides. Or skills having a different effect or applying a different status depending if done from the front, back or side of the target.

Dirty tricks: smoke bombs, caltrops, trip wire (trap), throwing sands or blinding powder, etc. Kick behind the knee for short immobilization, just long enough to reposition for the back or preventing the target to flee. That kind of thing. Short range and short time debuffs or preemptive interrupts.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Stealth

Thief support mechanics

Types of damage: burst and poison

Misdirection/harassment abilities

Escapes

Basically just the role of being a menace in a battlefield.
    -preferably options for specs. Some rogues excel at poison, others at burst damage, others at harassment and misdirection. Specializing in one drastically reduces the effectiveness of the others for that character.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    I am hoping that we're not completely invisible, and will need to actually be sneaky and use the environment to "sneak attack". I want it to be difficult, but rewarding in the form of stupid damage.
  • Options
    I think a way to re enter stealth whilst in combat is also a must so you can attack and dissapear like an assasin
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can't seem to find the original. This is what they showed before and the intended direction. Hopefully they keep this type of stealth and the game play is good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Qg6mUOIXk
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Can't seem to find the original. This is what they showed before and the intended direction. Hopefully they keep this type of stealth and the game play is good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Qg6mUOIXk

I love the idea of this, hopefully if theres a vanish or restealth ability you get like a solid 5 seconds of total stealth before becoming a silluete
  • Options
    Akaime wrote: »
    I think a way to re enter stealth whilst in combat is also a must so you can attack and dissapear like an assasin

Agreed, and also we shouldn't be forced to drop our camouflage when we attack. Instead, a player should be responsible for spotting me in spite of my camouflage, its not like we're invisible.
  • Options
    That video looked good, if stealth is like that it’d be okay.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Here is the original. Took more looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehx6mQ-EiW4
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited January 2023
    Here is the original. Took more looking.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehx6mQ-EiW4

Love that cinematic. Predator (rogue/ranger) -- HYPE!

I can only imagine Assassin (rogue/rogue) stealth will be even better.

While I don't plan to play a rogue, I do feel that full invis should be possible to a limited degree. Ofc there need to be specs, augments, potions and weapons that allow players to enhance their stealth detection. A sword that glows when there is a stealth player nearby, stuff like that.

And there should be an ultra-rare achievable cloak of invisibility that can be obtained by any class, but with very limited, short duration, long CD invisibility.

Finally, I really hope that my Shadow Disciple will have Vanish. And also have some level of stealth, not invis, but something.
  • Options
    I tend to gravitate toward rogues for the cloak and dagger thematic. Always liked the idea of not facing your opponent head on, which I believe should be disadvantageous only in terms of not being able to exploit the enemy's blind spots. I love the positional power of attacking from behind or the side, and would hope this archetype keeps this at its core.

One thing I really hated was WoW's combat rogue, I felt it detracted from the class' fantasy immensely, until they added the pirate-esque theme a decade later. The main reason was rogues were designed to be sneaky, but the combat spec just made them in-your-face, go toe-toe fighters. As AOC isn't limiting what weapon a class can use, I'm worried there might be some overlap with the combat rogue; definitely interested to see how the archetype is handled with all these considerations.

Poisons definitely seem to fit in with the cloak and dagger theme too, so I hope to see a varied degree of poisons with different effects as opposed to static damage DOTs; perhaps separate mechanisms for delivering poison as opposed to just coating your weapons with it, for example a corrosive poison to lessen the efficacy of armor which is tossed from a prepared vial?

Definitely love the dirty tactics too. Hitting the sternum to knock the wind out of your foe, or blowing sand/dust into your opponents eyes, hitting weak spots in armor to debilitate foes, and theatrics like smoke bombs to get a positional advantage.

As for stealth, I like the concept but am concerned that it offers too much of an advantage if it's close to invisibility like WoW did. I also think that whatever stealth may be, the archetype should be able to invoke stealth to varying degrees whilst in combat.
  • Options
    the biggest thing i want to see for rogues is not to have perma stealth like we see in WoW and all that maybe more akin to GW2 than anything
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm expecting Rogues to also wield Shadow damage.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    I'm expecting Rogues to also wield Shadow damage.
    Would love if rogue/summoner adds a shadowy afterimage on abilities or a secondary attack coming from a shadow copy of the rogue.