Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

As a Fighter main I am jealous of the tanks pure physical abilities (and a few other things)

George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
The double Slash that the tank has is a pure physical ability, a mark of swordsmanship which would be better for the fighter. Instead the fighter still has that yellow hammer ability.

Seeing the Fighter in the video striking with a magical hammer, and the tank slashing with an actual hammer rubs me the wrong way.

Some positives and some negatives.

First tank ability with orange coloring. Should be restricted to whem you have an offhand iteam equiped, since the animation after the rush clearly shows a left hand motion.
Maybe it should be weapon restricted as well. Shield, axe/sword/hammer, maybe spear, definatly not bow, staff, wand, etc etc

the leash on the mobs is extremely short. Takes away any sense of danger and make what would be an adventure, optional encounters.

The Grit coloured outline looks so good. Compare it to the designs of ESO, in which they developers there do away with the looks of our characters and replace them with full body single colour effects and you see how AoC Grit successfully conveys the ability in effect, without adding visual polution.

Similalry the Aegis, perfect animation, puts the tank at the tip of protection and you have to take cover behind, as opposed to the “stay in green” aoe crap that other games do.

Easily dropped whole items are a negative to mmos that want good crafting.

Common rare colour frames on items. What do they serve? They are usually a nuasance and a cheap way to indicate progress.

Untradable items? Why?

Titanbark looks very powerful to be found on a starting area.

I hope to see some things change/refined since, as we know, they are still in development.

Comments

• DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 2023
    I mean... Steven said that the visual FX for some of the Active Skills were work-in-progress.
    No visual FX for Grapple, but looks similar in animation to the Essence-based Javelin we saw in Alpha One, so... probably should not get your hopes up that Grapple will not be super glowy - similar to the Cleric's Castigation.
    I wouldn't call Aegis (the magical aoe shield) purely physical.

The Fighter could equip a Hammer as their weapon instead of a sword as well.
    Essence-based Active Skills that appear in the shape of weapons are not based on the weapon a character has equipped.
  • i still dunno why people are caught up on the magical hammer skill :p there a good chance thats parts of like a fighter cleric archtype and not base kit, the skills/spell u see in these are not always base kit skills, they seem 2 use 2 relativly basic skil then 1 cooler looking skills that is most likly not part of the base kit.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Veeshan wrote: »
    i still dunno why people are caught up on the magical hammer skill :p there a good chance thats parts of like a fighter cleric archtype and not base kit, the skills/spell u see in these are not always base kit skills, they seem 2 use 2 relativly basic skil then 1 cooler looking skills that is most likly not part of the base kit.

That's a stretch.
  • I generally liked the direction of the Tank's abilities from a visual standpoint. They were subtle but readable, and didn't get in the way of the character's animations (which were very rough, but obviously that's all WIP).

I hope they go back and touch up some of the other classes VFX, because just 3 party members produced a ridiculous amount of visual clutter - and this is a game that wants to have 500+ player battles. If they ever want those engagements to look like anything other than magical plasma raves, the special effects need to be used very sparingly.
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Veeshan wrote: »
    i still dunno why people are caught up on the magical hammer skill :p there a good chance thats parts of like a fighter cleric archtype and not base kit, the skills/spell u see in these are not always base kit skills, they seem 2 use 2 relativly basic skil then 1 cooler looking skills that is most likly not part of the base kit.

whats wrong playing it safe and assuming the worse and voicing our displeasure? none. Better now than late.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • Don't worry too much, there has yet to be a Fighter reveal which is why we have only seen a spin attack (very physical) and the big weapon slash (would be cool to have this be an enlarged weapon of that race's god weapon, of the weapon the god of that religion uses or an enlarged version of the weapon the Fighter uses), so trying to compare skill kits at this moment seems a bit early.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
    Kilion wrote: »
    Don't worry too much, there has yet to be a Fighter reveal which is why we have only seen a spin attack (very physical) and the big weapon slash (would be cool to have this be an enlarged weapon of that race's god weapon, of the weapon the god of that religion uses or an enlarged version of the weapon the Fighter uses), so trying to compare skill kits at this moment seems a bit early.

Yet you are talking about God race weapons, just like the Devs have created a smiting hammer ability.

Those things belong to the religious class, the Cleric. They dont belong to the physical combat class, the Fighter.
  • Kilion wrote: »
    Don't worry too much, there has yet to be a Fighter reveal which is why we have only seen a spin attack (very physical) and the big weapon slash (would be cool to have this be an enlarged weapon of that race's god weapon, of the weapon the god of that religion uses or an enlarged version of the weapon the Fighter uses), so trying to compare skill kits at this moment seems a bit early.

Yet you are talking about God race weapons, just like the Devs have created a smiting hammer ability.

Those things belong to the religious class, the Cleric. They dont belong to the physical combat class, the Fighter.

I would agree if not every inhabitant of this world seems strongly related back to a god and to the immense power of Essence in some way. The protective cone of a Tank that redirects damage is nothing short of magic either. If this ability would have been on Cleric people would have asked why a support class needs such a spell.

I don't see the issue of that connection to a God or the Essence showing in 1 of (i think) up to 24 abilities. Seems a bit overly dramatic to me personally.
  • Kilion wrote: »

I would agree if not every inhabitant of this world seems strongly related back to a god and to the immense power of Essence in some way. The protective cone of a Tank that redirects damage is nothing short of magic either. If this ability would have been on Cleric people would have asked why a support class needs such a spell.

I don't see the issue of that connection to a God or the Essence showing in 1 of (i think) up to 24 abilities. Seems a bit overly dramatic to me personally.

the entire fantasy built up over countless years of a fighter is that they are mundane yet powerful warriors. They might use magical weapons or have minor archetypes that give them a meager use of magic but for the most part they have always been identified by the fact that literally anyone can be a fighter because all you need is a sword to be one. Its about technique, tactics, warrior shit.

It's not about giant floating hammer mirages that are conjured out of thin air to smite their enemies. That's what paladins and clerics are for.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Sathrago wrote: »

the entire fantasy built up over countless years of a fighter is that they are mundane yet powerful warriors. They might use magical weapons or have minor archetypes that give them a meager use of magic but for the most part they have always been identified by the fact that literally anyone can be a fighter because all you need is a sword to be one. Its about technique, tactics, warrior shit.

It's not about giant floating hammer mirages that are conjured out of thin air to smite their enemies. That's what paladins and clerics are for.

Well, I guess if you want to be a purist about this than that's how it is. It seems due to the existence of Essence in Verra the rules are not 100% those of any other high fantasy world. I'm not saying you are completely wrong about this, I'm just trying to point out that this is merely a small percentage of the overall class skills, it's not even at the stage of an Alpha reveal and that you may want to account for that.

If that doesn't change anything for you I would wonder why you do not take issue with the Aegis skill of Tanks though.
    edited October 2023
    Sathrago wrote: »

Well, I guess if you want to be a purist about this than that's how it is. It seems due to the existence of Essence in Verra the rules are not 100% those of any other high fantasy world. I'm not saying you are completely wrong about this, I'm just trying to point out that this is merely a small percentage of the overall class skills, it's not even at the stage of an Alpha reveal and that you may want to account for that.

If that doesn't change anything for you I would wonder why you do not take issue with the Aegis skill of Tanks though.

Every game has gods. Nothing new here. Let archetypes be archetypes. Dont homogenise everything.

• Sorry such a **** thread. As a fighter main you don't know anything about your class. You've seen like three skills.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    A four star thread? I'll take it!
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited January 2023

It being a small percentage makes it even more concerning. I don't want more skills like the hammer skill and its one of what, 4, skills they have shown for the fighter?

As for the Aegis skill for tanks, it fits because "tank" as a class is more general and magic easily helps cover the whys and hows. It has room to be whatever it really wants without pre-conceptions outside of "be able to tank". Fighter on the other hand, like I said, just has too much history out there for what people perceive it to be. Fighters using magic for their skills is on the same level as if rogues ran around in heavy armor.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited January 2023
    🤦🏻‍♂️ literally a high fantasy game where everyone can come back from death with magic they have infused in their souls + we know nothing about each class lore, but I'd argue a high fantasy theme game more often than not does not have PURE physical classes with no magic at all.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • KilionKilion Member
    edited January 2023

Every game has gods. Nothing new here. Let archetypes be archetypes. Dont homogenise everything.

One possible ability in the warriors skill set having a bit of a magical vibe is already the "homogenisation of everything"?

And again: Why is this skill a problem and the Aegis blue damage absorption cone is not?