Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should rethink the presentation format (and other notes)

StalwartStalwart Member
edited January 2023 in General Discussion
(edit: I watched the follow up video. It solved my main reason for the post. Great job Intrepid. There is some other feedback in here I wanted to give, so I decided not to delete the post).

After my first viewing of the tank preview live, I left with the same impression after the cleric video; not pleased. This is in contrast to the melee and ranged videos. Not until I re-watched the cleric video and some breakdowns did I enjoy the information. That is ok for more dedicated fans but it concerns me when it comes to new audiences. For example my friend who is also a hard core tank player for years, I would hesitate to ask him to watch this video.

Unfortunately I'm not the best at this kind of stuff (captivating presentations). You would get a very technical breakdown from me. So I don't have a great solution, I just feel like there is a problem with the presentation format and wanted to give that feedback.

I believe Intrepid may be aware, as evident by the follow up video Steven will make. Although I haven't seen it yet.

Some other notes about the presentation:

- Personal preference, but I'm really not a fan of the threat mechanics I believe we're presented. I don't like the idea of dps and healers doing a good job causing more headache for the tank. I prefer a more straight forward taunt that always causes the boss to attack you while the debuff is up.

- I really like the ability that absorbs damage of allies behind you. Could be useful in pvp. I see it very situational in pve because a tank should normally have cleave faced away from the group.

- The pull and charge are nice basic tank tools. Not always great in big boss encounters but good for add pulls.

- Grit is a nice mechanic. Like the aspect of it that makes you learn the flow of an encounter.

- I need to see more about the active block mechanic but I like the basics of it and is familiar to me.

- I was happier with the animations and look of combat. Still needs work but I see improvement since the cleric video.

Of course combat is a hands on experience. I still like the direction it's going, just would like to see a better presentation to show my friends. I think they are going for a raw group experience, which is admirable, but might need more console cheats to make it presentable. Just putting everyone in God mode might even be good enough, so you can focus on the discussion. On a positive at least it showed off some of the difficulty level of the game.