Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Gear size as well as the way the gear is held should make sense in the context of race.

2»

Comments

• Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'd expect rare items to be... rare. If for some dumb reason they are not rare, than what's the fucking point of calling them that.

You didn't get the point.

The idea was that when you got 10.000 players on a server playing all day long, a lot of people are going to get that item. Not % but in raw numbers.
    And like I said, we have no info on how this item is obtained normally.

Either way, a low level item should look like a low level item (same for mid level items), regardless if its rare or not.

Again, you're rather looking for excuses as to why this isn't done right, as opposed to suggesting it be done right.

When you're giving epic looking gear to players from lvl 15, they're going to just going to go ''meh'' from them onward at slight improvements.
    The only alternative would be making ''epicer'' gear which then just ends up looking more and more ridiculous, until the whole game looks like a clowfest, the way wow ended up.

• Options
    Ironhope wrote: »
    You didn't get the point.

The idea was that when you got 10.000 players on a server playing all day long, a lot of people are going to get that item. Not % but in raw numbers.
    And you didn't get my point. A rare item should be rare across the entire server. This is not an instanced mmo, where literally the entire playerbase is grinding the same dungeon 24/7 and drops "rare" items like apples from a tree.

There might be 10 mobs that give you mats for that hammer and the chance of those mats is smth like 0.5% or smth. And there's constant pvp for those mobs, because this rare hammer is good for its lvl or has the best phys pen in its type.

This would mean that barely anyone on the server would have this RARE item within any reasonable amount of time. This is what I want when it comes to rare items.
    Either way, a low level item should look like a low level item (same for mid level items), regardless if its rare or not.

Again, you're rather looking for excuses as to why this isn't done right, as opposed to suggesting it be done right.
    And it does look like a plain low-mid lvl item. This is not a realistic medieval rpg, so even lower lvl gear will look a bit more fancy than what we had in our history. The hammer didn't have any effects on it, it didn't have super intricate patterns or even a complex build, and it didn't have some unique coloring. To me, all of those things make it a proper low-mid lvl RARE item.
  • Options
    And you didn't get my point. A rare item should be rare across the entire server.

I agree they should be rare. How rare will they be? No idea.

But let's say they're classic wow rare.

Even so, when you have a populated, living server there are still going to be people running around with it, realistically in notable enough numbers to be seen by a lot of people.

The low lvl rare items should still look low lvl.
    And it does look like a plain low-mid lvl item.

It does not, it looks over the top, more like a mid-late game item.
    This is not a realistic medieval rpg, so even lower lvl gear will look a bit more fancy than what we had in our history.

Neither was vanilla World of Warcraft but it did a very good job balancing the aspect and functionality of the gear to lead to a very high end leveling experience in this regard (and many others).

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited February 2023
    But let's say they're classic wow rare.
    WoW is an instanced mess, so no, let's not say they're classic wow rare.
    It does not, it looks over the top, more like a mid-late game item.
    To you it does, to me it doesn't :)
    Neither was vanilla World of Warcraft but it did a very good job balancing the aspect and functionality of the gear to lead to a very high end leveling experience in this regard (and many others).
    And by any chance, have you played or seen footage from WoW's alpha? Did it all remain the exact same until release? Did every item that they claimed was "low lvl" remain low lvl? Or was it, by chance, all just placeholder until they started balancing it all out and moving stuff around? You're comparing a game in alpha against a released product (though you're currently comparing it to a rereleased product, but that's beside the point).

But even outside of that, we don't know what kind of gear we'll have on the first lvls and what we'll have at max lvls. We also don't know if whatever we're seeing now will even remain at the same lvl or remain at all. And on top of all of that, it's still just your opinion against devs and Steven. In case it does stay the way it is now and in the same lvl range - that's gonna represent Steven's vision for his game, and I'd assume that all the gear higher and lower of that range will look appropriate.
  • Options
    I think there will be a lot of WoW players who try Ashes and exclaim "Where is the content?". Many don't really have much experience with a Sandbox-type game.