Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Have a less flashy base animation level and allow players to tune it up to be very flashy.

I honestly think the attack animations and the ability animations are way too flashy.

It looks like a firework spectacle more than a fight.

If you keep this pace, this path, a battle field with hundreds of players will be just blinding.

I know this is standard for mmo-rpgs nowdays but honestly, it's a standard mistake not a standard quality. Most mmo-rpgs can barely handel a few tens of peoples on screen at a time anyway (unlike AOC which is going for far more than that).

Even if some don't realize, such a model is exhausting, makes the whole thing look kind of silly and is largely pointless.

My suggestion is this.

Have very basic animations (especially for attacks) and allow players the option to make them more visually flashy if they want.

Now, you might ask ''but why not have them flashy and give people the option to tune them down?''

Because most people won't bother and will judge the game based on the default version you gave to them.

And I strongly believe more chill animations, like World of Warcraft Classic had, maybe even lesser, are more than enough.

Comments

• Options
    They already said that we'll be able to tone the vfx down. They've also stated before that they have exaggerated effects during testing, just to overburden the processing power, and it'll be toned down later in development. And iirc we've already seen examples of this before.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    They already said that we'll be able to tone the vfx down. They've also stated before that they have exaggerated effects during testing, just to overburden the processing power, and it'll be toned down later in development. And iirc we've already seen examples of this before.

Great.

And we need to re-enforce these notions with feedback.

Confirming they're right to fix them and showing them what direction we would like to see them take in fixing them.

• Options
    JamieKaosJamieKaos Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nah, I want them to turn it up to 11 and melt my graphics card 🥵
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    JamieKaos wrote: »
    Nah, I want them to turn it up to 11 and melt my graphics card 🥵

This is the way.
    5a6levcnczs1.gif
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ironhope wrote: »
    I honestly think the attack animations and the ability animations are way too flashy.

It looks like a firework spectacle more than a fight.

If you keep this pace, this path, a battle field with hundreds of players will be just blinding.

I know this is standard for mmo-rpgs nowdays but honestly, it's a standard mistake not a standard quality. Most mmo-rpgs can barely handel a few tens of peoples on screen at a time anyway (unlike AOC which is going for far more than that).

Even if some don't realize, such a model is exhausting, makes the whole thing look kind of silly and is largely pointless.

My suggestion is this.

Have very basic animations (especially for attacks) and allow players the option to make them more visually flashy if they want.

Now, you might ask ''but why not have them flashy and give people the option to tune them down?''

Because most people won't bother and will judge the game based on the default version you gave to them.

And I strongly believe more chill animations, like World of Warcraft Classic had, maybe even lesser, are more than enough.

Agreed to a point.

Tank has the right amount of animation and visual effect to tell what the ability does, that should be the standard for all of the animations.

Art needs to serve as a function, the games data needs to be clear with its visual and audio VFX. It doesn't need extra.

And I do not agree that the game needs a slider for art. It should be the same for everyone across the board.
  • Options
    I probably don't need to ask but Intrepid (devs), please go to the Asmogold and other stream vids on YouTube.

You have no tens but hundreds of people saying ''I think I am going blind with all these flashes'' / ''who is throwing flashbangs?'' / ''I can't see anything, too bright'' / ''Insanely bright, can't tell what is happening''.

Light effects from auto-attacks need to be removed completely and abilities need to be made far, far less flashy, just enough for players to easily read what is happening on the battlefield.

As I said initially, make an option for players to make them flashier if they want but the base animations should be way, way, way, way less flashy, less bright.