Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

A silent majority appreciates you, Steven!

Dear Steven,

It is truly ground-breaking and unique to watch a millionaire playing the game he is building for all of us. We share your excitement when you are playing this early version for the first time and your genuine enthusiasm gives us joy. We do appreciate "long videos" when even a snapshot in the past used to be sufficient during an MMORPG development cycle.

Beyond the gameplay, we love your extraordinary and disruptive vision! You've taken a huge risk and invested in your dream, and it's exciting to see how it all is coming together every month! We appreciate your ability to communicate with this community and the direction you have taken for building an open, transparent development process.

Please keep up the great work and continue to showcase this game with your genuine enthusiasm and energy!

The Silent Majority

Comments

• Options
    ???

Just because there is some critique about the latest livestream, that doesn't mean that anyone has something against Steven personally at all. Why you feel the need of writing that?
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think this type of post is hurtful.

It brings up the idea that there is a serious amount of issue with some 'bad/entitled minority', refocusing people on their mistakes, while claiming the idea that a supposed 'Silent Majority' exists that think everything is fine.

This leads many companies down terrible paths, or alternately, forces them to confront the fact that it might not be true, which can be demoralizing.

The Other Silent Majority (see the problem here?)
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    It's only fair that some of us show appreciation for what he is trying to do in a post. Why does it bother you to see an appreciative post when there are dozens every month that mock the way he plays the game? His game. Some critique, some appreciation. Not fair?
  • Options
    Galaturc wrote: »
    It's only fair that some of us show appreciation for what he is trying to do in a post. Why does it bother you to see an appreciative post when there are dozens every month that mock the way he plays the game? His game. Some critique, some appreciation. Not fair?

I have no problem with your appreciation.

I have no problem with encouragement.

I have a problem with you explicitly 'reminding Steven that dozens of people mock his Novice Player Persona', then effectively 'reassuring him that everything is fine' with a pithy 'All these people who aren't saying anything or standing up for you definitely believe in you!'

I just think it's harmful to morale and self-assessment, particularly given that Steven has explicitly chosen this path. You do your thing, I'm just expressing my dislike of it.

• Options
    He is just trying to show some support as a response to the massive amount of effort being put in from IS teams.
  • Options

Because claiming you're the silent minority is just wrong. The huge majority is appreciating him
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I have a problem with you explicitly 'reminding Steven that dozens of people mock his Novice Player Persona', then effectively 'reassuring him that everything is fine' with a pithy 'All these people who aren't saying anything or standing up for you definitely believe in you!'

I think you have a problem with misquoting OP... :wink: If you will put quotes when you refer to my post as in above, make sure it is my own words, rather than your own interpretation. I never stated any of those sentiments.

I am supporting him as who he is. This is a "somewhat uncommon" support post. This forum is not "only-for those-who-critique-Intrepid-or-Steven". If you truly don't have a problem with my "appreciation" and "encouragement", I don't understand why you would "quote" things that don't belong to my post.
  • Options

I think you have a problem with misquoting OP... :wink: If you will put quotes when you refer to my post as in above, make sure it is my own words, rather than your own interpretation. I never stated any of those sentiments.

I am supporting him as who he is. This is a "somewhat uncommon" support post. This forum is not "only-for those-who-critique-Intrepid-or-Steven". If you truly don't have a problem with my "appreciation" and "encouragement", I don't understand why you would "quote" things that don't belong to my post.

Understood.

Carry on.

• Options
    Garrtok wrote: »

Because claiming you're the silent minority is just wrong. The huge majority is appreciating him

I think we agree, it's just that you misread my signature: "The Silent Majority". :neutral:
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited January 2023
    But why you have to state it like that?
    Noone sad anything bad about Steven.
  • Options
    GalaturcGalaturc Member
    edited January 2023
    Well, because I think there are not enough posts that appreciate the way Steven is presenting this game to us. There is some unfair criticism about the way he showcases his game out there that I discuss in another post in this forum. Check the treads with "open letter" in the title and you will see what I mean. This post is a form of support in response to the criticism he received in the past.
  • Options
    The definition of a White Knight. Found it here and didn't even have to google it. Crazy.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Well, because I think there are not enough posts that appreciate the way Steven is presenting this game to us. There is some unfair criticism about the way he showcases his game out there that I discuss in another post in this forum. Check the treads with "open letter" in the title and you will see what I mean. This post is a form of support in response to the criticism he received in the past.

How was it unfair? Actually for everything they do they want our feedback. When something is not good, could be better or we have ideas to improve it, it's totally valid. We don't have to love everything.
    Please no white knighting here. This white knight stuff is what made the star citizen community horrible.

It should always be valid to have a discussion and adress criticism to have a good game in the end.
  • Options
    GalaturcGalaturc Member
    edited January 2023
    How was it unfair? Actually for everything they do they want our feedback. When something is not good, could be better or we have ideas to improve it, it's totally valid. We don't have to love everything.
    I disagree with none of that in this post. Are you sure you are responding to the right OP?
    Please no white knighting here. This white knight stuff is what made the star citizen community horrible.
    I think Sathrago used "White Knight" in jest. :smile: Perhaps, you misunderstood his attempt at sarcasm?
    It should always be valid to have a discussion and adress criticism to have a good game in the end.
    Agreed, again, I don't know how you concluded that we disagree from my OP.

• Options
    SathragoSathrago Member
    edited January 2023
    I think Sathrago used "White Knight" in jest. :smile: Perhaps, you misunderstood his attempt at sarcasm?

You misunderstood. I was talking about you. It would be fine if this was just about appreciating steven but thats not what you stand for. You are preaching acceptance while attempting to force your own views upon others. This "silent majority" you elected yourself a speaker for.

I also appreciate Steven for what he's done, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend everything he does is an celestial revelation from god.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    Sathrago wrote: »
    You misunderstood. I was talking about you.
    Oh, I know you were talking about me :smile: Referring to me as the "white knight" was sarcastic, in jest. I don't know why you thought I misunderstood.
    It would be fine if this was just about appreciating steven but thats not what you stand for. You are preaching acceptance while attempting to force your own views upon others. This "silent majority" you elected yourself a speaker for.
    Well, if you disagree with that sentiment and you're vocal about it, then I am obviously not speaking for you. I don't see what your point is. Are you claiming to be in the "silent majority" and I shouldn't speak for you? But, you're vocal...
    I also appreciate Steven for what he's done, but that doesn't mean I have to pretend everything he does is an celestial revelation from god.

At no point have I claimed "everything Steven does is a celestial revelation from god"... Can you rephrase your disagreement with my OP a little better without going into extremes or hyperboles?
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited January 2023
  • Options
    NishUKNishUK Member
    edited January 2023
    I think this type of post is hurtful.

I can't believe you sullied my thread with screenshots of FF11 like if it was appropriately relevant material...or just sullied my brain with even thinking about an mmorpg from Japan that isn't even meant to be in anyway serious but you only give off a mighty serious vibes impression which may suggest the enjoyment of a 'big fish in a small pond' complex.

Anyway enough of these ridiculously "hurtful" posts!

"This leads companies down terrible paths".... "This may..." ...."This could", nah, you just know better.

I can't physically imagine a person that is unable to reflect on himself in any way.

Based off of criticism outside of the depths of discord+forum and Jahlon's hissy fit chamber it appears as though OP has a point that there could be a silent majority happy enough and they realize this is alpha footage and not actually the final conclusion of the tank or animations. The only things that could be joked about, hard and cruelly is Steven's inability to play in a focused manner and for there not being an ideal script for an hour long video, the rest of complaints have been unnecessary nit picks from this small discord+forum community that they should of put better thought into because most of them are glaringly obvious to any dev/person smart enough to be working on an actual gaming project full of complexities.
  • Options
    novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F5szazrwiqrr81.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ccb1001e6acba8611849e08ffe9a9d025ffc938f8fb9a9406e0dc30d1a2a4774&ipo=images
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.