Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Splinter Topic: Mob Leashing And Aggro

AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
From a conversation in another thread, as usual.

Right now as of the shown flow in the Tank update, Mob Leashing seems to be short ENOUGH that you can outrange mobs within their own area. Whether this is a default or not is unclear from the content, but there has been a concern raised that this will lower difficulty and challenge if it remains as it is.

A relatively populated area would require players to run away in the right direction to avoid getting more mobs on them, but if one could realistically just 'keep running' until a safe area is reached, this may not matter.

Since I generally only play games with no leash of this type (my main game switched from 'no leash at all, the entire zone will chase you', to 'if you do manage to get away, the mob just fades after a bit and cannot easily aggro others', and BDO is BDO), I can't claim to understand why this is implemented in this way at all other than to make the game easier, as pointed out.

Do you perceive this as a problem, or is the effect on difficulty something you either don't experience, or believe should be in the game?
Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Comments

• George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    It will make AoC an ez overland experience when it comes to PvE.
    It should not be in the game.

One assumption is to prevent AoE farming.
    AoE farming can be dealt with without short leash on mobs. There is no need to make the game less challenging by having players walk away from a bunch of mobs everytime something unexpected and potentially fun can happen.

So many months people have call for various social mob designs and behaviours. All that goes out the window, pointless, as soon as you make it ez for players to AVOID DYING.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited January 2023
    Ah, I can't find my other comment on this topic. Too many threads lately.

I want either a non-leash system or at least a location-wide one.
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have long advocated for a random 35% to have no leash at all and others to have a long leash. Keep the world dangerous.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • I like the idea of a portion of mobs having a random leash, but yeah prefer longer leashes so I can't just run through areas and find weird areas to hide de aggro and then eventually cheese the boss
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Also would like to point out - When the are returning - they don't ignore other players along the way back. MOBS should be aggroing on anything nearby again. It's weird seeing 2 NPC run past steven because they unleashed.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
  • I want a leash where the angry NPC to start attacking other players when his original target got far enough. This distance should be bigger when the agro is higher.
    In other words, dangerous trains should be possible. NPCs should not go back to their rest location having a powerful HoT and ignoring other players.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Azherae wrote: »
    Right now as of the shown flow in the Tank update, Mob Leashing seems to be short ENOUGH that you can outrange mobs within their own area. Whether this is a default or not is unclear from the content, but there has been a concern raised that this will lower difficulty and challenge if it remains as it is.
    In what manner does a shorter leash lower a games difficulty?

To me, the aspect of a games difficulty that developers should be working on is the difficulty for players to successfully kill the enemy they wish to kill. A longer leash has no impact on this at all.

If the game is designed poorly, a shorter leash may make it easier for players to get to this enemy that they want to kill, but if the game is designed in a way where they need to fight their way to this mob, then a leash has no impact here, either.

Then there is the notion of a longer leash making it harder to travel around the game world. My question here is - why should this be something that is made artificially more difficult?

In my experience, the only time you really attempt to run through an area relying on mob leashing - rather than fighting your way through that same area - is if the mobs in that area offer both no challenge and no reward, said mobs will still attack the player, and you have a specific desire to be on the other side of said mobs.

To me, this is a fault of game developers. Such areas should not exist.

If this is the case, if Intrepid do indeed have areas like this, why should players have to fight through them? Forcing players to fight through these areas isn't making the game more difficult where it counts, it is making the game more tedious in ways that don't matter.

Now, the above does assume that players can't just run through areas they wouldn't be able to easily fight their way through - this would be atrocious game design if it were the case. However, if a mob offers no challenge or reward to players, players should not feel the need to fight them just to get to the other side.
    As usuall you say too much without saying anything.

You frame that "mobs should be challenging otherwise the game failed". Whoever said anything about the mobs NOT being challenging? Why are you shifting focus to a non existent issue?

The problem is that as things are the players can ALWAYS disengage from the mobs (which are tough), when they are in trouble.
    edited February 2023
    Then you say that "the game has failed if players dont kill every mob in their sights. The game has failed if players arent killing mobs right where they stand. The game has failed if the players want to "reach the other side of the mobs". What the hell are you talking about?

If I want to reach a spot in which the mobs have weakness in arrows, with my archer dps group, then I will have to reach that spot by fighting through other mobs.
    And a no leash design would add challenge to the game.

Another scenario in which players want to go to the "other side of the mobs":
    Mobs on the other side may drop X crafting scematic.

Another?
    Mobs on the other side have high dmg and low def, leading to faster grind for a skilled group.

Another? The area on other the other side is elevated and we can see incoming enemy guilds.

Another? On the other side of the mobs is a quest related location.

Has the game failed because people want to fight past through some mobs and keep going (instead of staying with them)? Hell no.

Has the game failed if I can go paste those mobs without a fight, due to short leash? Yes.

What on earth are you typing about?
    As usuall you say too much without saying anything.

You frame that "mobs should be challenging otherwise the game failed". Whoever said anything about the mobs NOT being challenging? Why are you shifting focus to a non existent issue?

The problem is that as things are the players can ALWAYS disengage from the mobs (which are tough), when they are in trouble.

As usual, you didn't read what I said.

At the point in gameplay where leashing comes in to play, challenging players should not be the goal of developers.

Also, if your mobs are designed in a manner where players can just disengage if things aren't going well, then you have designed a really poor game. Now, I know you have a habit of playing games with really bad PvE design (and your opinions on PvE are based around this), but that doesn't mean your experiences are true across the board.
    Yeah I never played an mmo in which PvE was an elaborate anime battle choreography, spanning 10 episodes of struggle to outplay mobs in order to feel satisfied.

And neither have you.
    Yeah I never played an mmo in which PvE was an elaborate anime battle choreography, spanning 10 episodes of struggle to outplay mobs in order to feel satisfied.

And neither have you.

Drop the word "anime", and you are kind of talking about a good portion of top end raid content here.
    edited February 2023
    By raid you mean instanced?
    Yeah, Ill take my owpvp due to conflict of interests with the plain non-leash overland mobs, the plain sought-after open world bosses which drop valuables.

I had enough of repetitive raids for 15 years now. Nothing exciting about them after the first encounter.

You keep playing with the mobs in your 40 year old rose-tinted mmos.
    I will grind the mobs and fight the players, the players which cannot be matched by mobs in combat.
    By raid you mean instanced?
    No. We've been over this in the past - not all raids are instanced. This isn't a hard concept to grasp.
    I had enough of repetitive raids for 15 years now
    Then play games with developers that have some respect for their players, and continually add in new encounters that aren't repetitive.

This is a better option than just blaming the issues you have had with shit developers on entire content types - which is what you do.

You being bored of raid content isn't a fault of raid content, it is a fault of you playing games that expect you to kill the same content for literal years on end, rather than either weeks or months (at the most).
    I will grind the mobs and fight the players, the players which cannot be matched by mobs in combat.
    Again, if you believe this, it is because you have not ever come across top end PvE content.

Top end content isn't something you grind. It also isn't something fighting against other players are ever able to compare to.

The most tedious thing I have ever seen in an MMORPG was PvP in Archeage. if you knew who was in charge of your opposition, you knew what they were going to do. It was actually boring. People are easier to work out than a well executed encounter - and in MMORPG's, you come across far fewer players in leadership positions than you do raid encounters (even Archeage had more raid encounters than players in leadership positions - and that games raid content was lacking).
  • edited February 2023
    If generalized across all monsters in the game, yes, i would perceive this as a problem as i do believe a short leash everywhere would diminish the players perspective of how threatening the Enviroment of the world is and can be, longer leash ranges are better for encouraging a way more careful atitude when navigating across the game's areas, having to split your attenion to both players and monsters more evenly, as it should in a PvX game.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • No Leash is just stupid. I can't think of many (any?) creatures that would carry on chasing you forever, leaving their home and familiar environment to use all its energy just to hunt you down cos it happened to see you nearby. That's just not how it works. There's always a point at which the effort involved in the chase outweighs the benefits of a successful capture.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
    daveywavey wrote: »
    No Leash is just stupid. I can't think of many (any?) creatures that would carry on chasing you forever, leaving their home and familiar environment to use all its energy just to hunt you down cos it happened to see you nearby. That's just not how it works. There's always a point at which the effort involved in the chase outweighs the benefits of a successful capture.

It's a video game that needs gameplay rules. Not David Attenborough.
  • daveywavey wrote: »
    No Leash is just stupid. I can't think of many (any?) creatures that would carry on chasing you forever, leaving their home and familiar environment to use all its energy just to hunt you down cos it happened to see you nearby. That's just not how it works. There's always a point at which the effort involved in the chase outweighs the benefits of a successful capture.

NPC bounty hunters ftw! :D
    You login, they come.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'll note that I don't have an easy time understanding why 'long leash' vs 'infinite leash' matters for a specific reason.

Let's say that you have multiple medium to long-leash mobs in an area. You get the attention of one, and you start running (either in or out, doesn't usually matter).

Mob A eventually gives up, but in most games I play, the difficulty (and it would be quite high, especially in dungeons) would be to somehow get to the end of Mob A's leash without either aggroing Mobs B-E on your path, OR by them 'linking' with Mob A, selecting you as 'target of their target' and then activating their own pursuit.

And so on.

Since this is entirely up to Devs in terms of paths (how many paths they give you with no Mob B-E, so you can escape from Mob A), and I generally don't seem to play games where players have meaningfully higher movespeed than Mobs, or easy retreat paths, the idea is a bit foreign to me.

tl;dr as soon as leashes aren't short in an even slightly enclosed space, my experience is that trying to run from Mob A will eventually end SOMEWHERE with Mobs W-Z killing you, and I can see why a fully open world game generally wants to have SOME leash.

personally find it fun and left many memorable moments. Granted we had "Zones" so it wasnt infinite but some maps, from point A to point B can take you 20-30 mins to run.

So in EQ, first day playing on release, I rolled a wood elf and my friend rolled a dwarf. Our other friend was a human and we wanted to go meet up with him. I needed to run to Butcherblock, got there safely. Now entering to Butcher Block, I needed to run to the Dwarf city, which is approx 10 minute of running. I am level 1, I end up pulling a orc centurion. I am now lost, we don't have a MAP, I had this MFer chase me for 5 minutes while I am trying to find safety and a place where I can die and hopefully find my body. I was on the phone with my friend, screaming and freaking out. Then I learned how brutal this game was, with no map, and now I have skeletons around my corpse - took me 1-2 hours to recover and finally got to my friend. Then we learned about the boat ride and religion choice matter in Freeport.. RIP

we got fond memories being chased around throughout our entire EQ sessions.

So at the very least, Some mobs should chase you until you leave it's node, others up to exiting a dungeon or their controlled area, like the KEEP in the video. You should not have a sense of safety anywhere.
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Since this is entirely up to Devs in terms of paths (how many paths they give you with no Mob B-E, so you can escape from Mob A), and I generally don't seem to play games where players have meaningfully higher movespeed than Mobs, or easy retreat paths, the idea is a bit foreign to me.

tl;dr as soon as leashes aren't short in an even slightly enclosed space, my experience is that trying to run from Mob A will eventually end SOMEWHERE with Mobs W-Z killing you, and I can see why a fully open world game generally wants to have SOME leash.
    This is why I think that some triggers for a more frequent use of slowing/rooting abilities by the mobs would help quite a bit. And it would feel a bit more active than just a "mob runs after you until it gets in range of an attack" situation.

Also, if there is a leash, should it be a location one or a player one, or a combination of both? I'd personally prefer a location leash (not just a spawn point, but a whole location) with no player leash, so that fleeing players gotta leave a location completely because all those A-Z mobs will run after them until they do.

Though this would definitely lead to aoe farming, so there'd probably have to be some AI coding against that or some other ways of making it not a super optimal way to play.
    edited February 2023
    NiKr wrote: »

Though this would definitely lead to aoe farming, so there'd probably have to be some AI coding against that or some other ways of making it not a super optimal way to play.

this can be prevented with mob abilities. This is an issue in EQ p99, never happened in retail or was rarely a thing, so the dev didnt patch it to prevent such things but the easy solution to aoe farms can be:

AOE related spells are channel spells, a single point of damage will interrupt your spell. Mana consumption for AOE spells is HUGE. If the channel spell is 2 seconds, 5 seconds or 10 seconds and gets interrupted, you still lose ALL OF THAT MANA.

Now with that said - Sprinkle mobs with Range capability. Shooting arrow, throwing boulder that leads to a stun / prone, gap closers such as charge, root, fast spell casting with large range.
    NiKr wrote: »

This is why I think that some triggers for a more frequent use of slowing/rooting abilities by the mobs would help quite a bit. And it would feel a bit more active than just a "mob runs after you until it gets in range of an attack" situation.

Also, if there is a leash, should it be a location one or a player one, or a combination of both? I'd personally prefer a location leash (not just a spawn point, but a whole location) with no player leash, so that fleeing players gotta leave a location completely because all those A-Z mobs will run after them until they do.

I am not going to try to convince people of the 'strong single enemies, no easy AoE farm in this game!', but that's my only experience with it.

AoE farm requires 'an entire group of mobs that you can AoE down before they kill either you or whoever is protecting you', and this exp still has to be decent, right?

I definitely have played games like that, but they were usually very action-y, and instanced-dungeon so leashes mattered minimally. Other games I play, even BDO at the more 'fun' camps, if you plan to 'AoE farm' you had better be EXTREMELY prepared for that or you will die.

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Not sure why there is an issue with aoe farming. There won't be enough quests to hit max level which means the groups need somewhere to grind too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Azherae wrote: »
    AoE farm requires 'an entire group of mobs that you can AoE down before they kill either you or whoever is protecting you', and this exp still has to be decent, right?
    I mean, unless the mobs will be several times (or maybe even several dozen times) harder than the ones from tank showcase - I'd imagine a ranger/tank could build up enough threat on a group of mobs while successfully kiting them to let some mages aoe those mobs down.

We'll obviously have to see how viable that'll be once we get to the mob balancing stage, but I do think there's a chance that it's gonna be possible.
    Neurath wrote: »
    Not sure why there is an issue with aoe farming. There won't be enough quests to hit max level which means the groups need somewhere to grind too.
    My main concern with aoe farming is one party overtaking several spawn spots. And if mobs are supposed to be thick and with longer respawns, then that party might get even more mobs under them.

But as I said before and as Azherae pointed out, most mobs should be difficult enough to just not be aoe-farmable. And those groups should just have proper mobs to occupy them.
    But you will drive all the groups to the solo spots and the soloers will be screwed. The majority of the player base will never see this discussion and are used to aoe farms. They will aoe farm wherever it is viable.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
    edited February 2023
    For clarity I have no issues with the concept of AoE farming, it's a 'skill', designers usually can decide how difficult or easy they want that to be based on mob density, mob power, and the power of AoE abilities.

I have an issue with the idea that in a game where things should supposedly be difficult, difficult enough that you even care what your team composition is when you enter an area, AoE farming wouldn't require either extreme skill, or wouldn't reward little exp (and I have experienced games where the latter is still not enough because they have good drops or whatever).

I really don't think Ashes is going to mess this up by accident, these people have been playing MMOs for years. The fact that a few of them have played one where this was a thing for a bit, isn't a negative, it was very popular, so many people would have.

EDIT: Fixed a double-negative, gotta get back to speaking English after being in the lang-code mines today.

• Neurath wrote: »
    But you will drive all the groups to the solo spots and the soloers will be screwed. The majority of the player base will never see this discussion and are used to aoe farms. They will aoe farm wherever it is viable.
    Party mobs should be difficult enough for solos to die almost immediately against them, or at least struggle immensely, so I don't think that'd be a problem.
    The idea is that all pve should be difficult. The mobs should cc and force players to move. Once you conquer this in solo play it can be replicated in group play thus whatever measures you think are required to prevent the process will only make those who conquer the process to leap even further ahead.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • novercalis wrote: »

personally find it fun and left many memorable moments. Granted we had "Zones" so it wasnt infinite but some maps, from point A to point B can take you 20-30 mins to run.

So in EQ, first day playing on release, I rolled a wood elf and my friend rolled a dwarf. Our other friend was a human and we wanted to go meet up with him. I needed to run to Butcherblock, got there safely. Now entering to Butcher Block, I needed to run to the Dwarf city, which is approx 10 minute of running. I am level 1, I end up pulling a orc centurion. I am now lost, we don't have a MAP, I had this MFer chase me for 5 minutes while I am trying to find safety and a place where I can die and hopefully find my body. I was on the phone with my friend, screaming and freaking out. Then I learned how brutal this game was, with no map, and now I have skeletons around my corpse - took me 1-2 hours to recover and finally got to my friend. Then we learned about the boat ride and religion choice matter in Freeport.. RIP

we got fond memories being chased around throughout our entire EQ sessions.

So at the very least, Some mobs should chase you until you leave it's node, others up to exiting a dungeon or their controlled area, like the KEEP in the video. You should not have a sense of safety anywhere.

:heart: