Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Hogwarts Legacy Dialogue/Movement & recent Jan showcase

edited February 2023 in General Discussion
One of the concerns myself and many other's had from recent January tank showcase was mainly how enemies were standing still and then that there was no dialogue for enemies. Using Hogwarts Legacy here as it is the #1 game of the year, and I think there's plenty of key takeaways of what's good with the world building here.

1. Dialogue: I fully understand that it's too early to add dialogue. But would've been nice to hear something on voice dialogue in the showcases. But is this something Intrepid is adding for launch? Gameplay from Hogwarts legacy below showcases how you hear chatter and dialogue between NPC's and enemies. It makes the world feel alive. In Jan showcase you were approaching a group of minotaurs, as Steven and team were sneaking up on them, hearing a conversation between the minotaurs in the far distance would've been golden. But maybe that's something that's coming down the line?

2. Movement: Gameplay below has NPC's and enemies walking around, doing things, doing idle animations. Would love to see this for future showcases/alpha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNOybNaKBd4

m6jque7ofxxf.gif

Comments

• SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    #1 game of the year in February? Seems like a low bar...
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • edited February 2023
    Neurath wrote: »

It is. It has already sold over 250,000 pre-order copies just on steam. It's going to hit +20mil copies this year. It is the biggest game of the year. No other publisher will be able to beat those numbers this year.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited February 2023
    It's not even out and journalists who played it already criticized especially that idle npcs are just standing around and doing nothing. Really don't see the point of this thread.
  • Having conversation between some monsters I am approaching to kill is definitely a plus. Not hard to give them a wall of text to alternate through since it doesn't need to have depth either. I like it.
    Neurath wrote: »

It is. It has already sold over 250,000 pre-order copies just on steam. It's going to hit +20mil copies this year. It is the biggest game of the year. No other publisher will be able to beat those numbers this year.

Little children will skew the numbers though.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • edited February 2023
    Garrtok wrote: »
    It's not even out and journalists who played it already criticized especially that idle npcs and just standing around and doing nothing. Really don't see the point of this thread.

Then don't comment...
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Voxtrium wrote: »
    Having conversation between some monsters I am approaching to kill is definitely a plus. Not hard to give them a wall of text to alternate through since it doesn't need to have depth either. I like it.

Same! I think it'll add to storyline too if it's a quest of mission. I really like in ESO you can walk into a camp and hear enemies talking about your own storyline. It really makes the world feel alive.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
    Also, number of sales doesn't equate to goty. Only highest ratings do.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Garrtok wrote: »
    It's not even out and journalists who played it already criticized especially that idle npcs and just standing around and doing nothing. Really don't see the point of this thread.

Then don't comment...

But you assume something about that game which is not even true.
  • One of the concerns myself and many other's had from recent January tank showcase was how enemies were standing still and there was no dialogue for enemies.
    I fully understand that it's too early to add dialogue.

oh-god-oh-jesus.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • WHIT3ROS3WHIT3ROS3 Member
    edited February 2023
    Sorry to say this, but this post is completely detached from reality. Hogwarts Legacy is a $250 MILLION dollar AAA studio game backed by Warner Brothers, as part of the Multi-BILLION dollar Harry Potter Franchise. (Never mind the $150 million being spent on marketing alone) People are really comparing Intrepid with that? Yeesh, People need a reality check. lol
  • bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I don't think Intrepid will ever add dialogue for Players to NPCs nevermind NPC to NPC.
    Mobs will never get better they will always be stationary loot pinata's.

Why do people keep trying to compare completed games to a project between alpha 1 and alpha 2?

The alphas are system tests NOT content tests or demonstrations. Please stop looking at place holder or incomplete work in progress stuff and complaining about first run stuff and realize the vast majority of your concerns will be handled late alpha 2 and during the betas. IF the NPCs are standing still doing nothing when beta 1 opens up. Then rush here and make these threads.
    Have a tiny bit of confidence in Intrepid.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Garrtok wrote: »

Like the Cyberpunk 2077 first NPC's I saw. :smile:
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • I don't think Intrepid will ever add dialogue for Players to NPCs nevermind NPC to NPC.

Why do people keep trying to compare completed games to a project between alpha 1 and alpha 2?

The alphas are system tests NOT content tests or demonstrations. Please stop looking at place holder or incomplete work in progress stuff and complaining about first run stuff and realize the vast majority of your concerns will be handled late alpha 2 and during the betas. IF the NPCs are standing still doing nothing when beta 1 opens up. Then rush here and make these threads.

I would like to have some NPC's in taverns.
    The New World empty inns are so 'unfinished'. You cannot even sit at tables. That is an example how to not make the environment.

But then, the game should still eventually be released. I would rather accept empty buildings than one year more work until release.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • novercalisnovercalis Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    WHIT3ROS3 wrote: »
    Sorry to say this, but this post is completely detached from reality. Hogwarts Legacy is a $250 MILLION dollar AAA studio game backed by Warner Brothers, as part of the Multi-BILLION dollar Harry Potter Franchise. (Never mind the $150 million being spent on marketing alone) People are really comparing Intrepid with that? Yeesh, People need a reality check. lol

even that is irrelevant.

See CyberPunk colossal fail. Fallout 74, I'd argue FF15, hell FF11, NEW WORLD...

What we see and what came of it - for all we know, can still pull a No Man's, Destiny 2.. ima stop here.

OP is on that good shit and needs to share it.
    {UPK} United Player Killer - All your loot belongs to us.
    Strevi wrote: »
    I don't think Intrepid will ever add dialogue for Players to NPCs nevermind NPC to NPC.

The New World empty inns are so 'unfinished'. You cannot even sit at tables. That is an example how to not make the environment.

But then, the game should still eventually be released. I would rather accept empty buildings than one year more work until release.

First couple lines was snark.
    I think they will do a good job and we will have some good interaction with the NPC's. But now is not the time to be starting chicken little threads regarding NPC movement and dialogue. We need to see more of the base systems in place before we start expecting all the minor details to truly shine.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Strevi wrote: »

First couple lines was snark.
    I think they will do a good job and we will have some good interaction with the NPC's. But now is not the time to be starting chicken little threads regarding NPC movement and dialogue. We need to see more of the base systems in place before we start expecting all the minor details to truly shine.

I don't want to really ask for more these days. I feel that they should drop features if possible to be able to launch the game sooner.
    Maybe my mood will change later or I just fall into silence soon like many other before.
    Agreed to a point. I would like to see them implement the rest of the archetypes , class system, augments and flesh out the combat system. Followed by the finishing the node system. At this point of the mobs stand in one place waiting to be punched in the face I don't care. Finish the big stuff then focus on all the minor stuff like mob pathing and movement.

If they focus on getting all the big pieces in and working (mostly) it is easier to divert assets towards all the tertiary stuff the OP is focused on.
  • It is. It has already sold over 250,000 pre-order copies just on steam. It's going to hit +20mil copies this year. It is the biggest game of the year. No other publisher will be able to beat those numbers this year.

It's literally Black Desert Online with far less mechanics...

"GAME OF THE FLIPPING YEAR GIRLFRIENDS! FIRST STRAY NOW HARRY POTTER! Its set a new bar for human entertainment!"

:D
  • Voxtrium wrote: »
    Having conversation between some monsters I am approaching to kill is definitely a plus. Not hard to give them a wall of text to alternate through since it doesn't need to have depth either. I like it.

Same! I think it'll add to storyline too if it's a quest of mission. I really like in ESO you can walk into a camp and hear enemies talking about your own storyline. It really makes the world feel alive.

I was going to say something about ESO and NPC's as well. It's so cool going into a dungeon full of say, mercenaries and low wage mobs and hear them whining about how life sucks. No, this is not sarcasm. ESO really has an incredible take on NPC realism.
    -Indigo Shade
    Gaming "online" since 1988.
  • Hogwarts legacy ? Its good but Game of the Year ? noway
    And to be honest there are games from 2010 with better NPC dialogue and ''chatter'' Background noises or ''NPC-Day-Routine''.
    I think thats one of the last things they should add in the game.
    uwu