Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Would you guys be against mobs being more interactive?

I've seen the past few recent livestreams and the mob movesets are pretty ok(which is good for a game in alpha), but I think it would be even better if mob bosses could be a lot more interactive in their attacks. My point is primarily on bosses not regular mobs.

E.g the video below, refer to 02:00 - 03:00 for what I'm talking about:
What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/eLj811SvqLE

Comments

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited February 2023
    Don't forget to check out the Ashes Wiki for all your information needs, @234Graph.

Many questions can be answered just by consulting the Wiki (instead of starting a new Forums thread).

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Artificial_intelligence
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mobs
  • Options
    Is that a solo mob or a mob being soloed? Cause that might seem nice and interesting for a solo farm, but I'm not sure how that'd go down in a party/raid situation.

But that aside, yes, I want all mobs to be way more active that just "stand there and use 2.5 abilities in one direction".
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Is that a solo mob or a mob being soloed? Cause that might seem nice and interesting for a solo farm, but I'm not sure how that'd go down in a party/raid situation.

But that aside, yes, I want all mobs to be way more active that just "stand there and use 2.5 abilities in one direction".

Solo mob I believe
  • Options
    TaerrikTaerrik Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Its my hope the game will allow for all mobs in all content to be more interact

the tradeoff would have to be, we arent farming 10-30 mobs at a time like in other games (bdo as an example) but we can only handle as a player 1-3 at a time safetly, more requiring a group.

This being, technical limitations of needing more processing power for each mob
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    234Graph wrote: »
    I've seen the past few recent livestreams and the mob movesets are pretty ok(which is good for a game in alpha), but I think it would be even better if mob bosses could be a lot more interactive in their attacks. My point is primarily on bosses not regular mobs.

E.g the video below, refer to 02:00 - 03:00 for what I'm talking about:
    What do you guys think?

https://youtu.be/eLj811SvqLE

More interactive than what?

I'm not sure if you're using the video as an example of 'basic that you would like to be better', 'interactive that you don't think is likely', or 'making a contrast between it and something else'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    I'd be holding out regarding this topic until we get the raid boss livestream, which sounds to me like Intrepid will show what special mob design will look like, how dynamic and interactive it is. If I got that right it should be one of the next livestreams.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited February 2023
    I think each mob should have a gimmick or two that are easily avoidable in 1v1 fights, but lethal when fighting many at once if poorly managed. Raid bosses should be like the latter all the time.
  • Options
    I hope there are many different "mob dynamics", for example in the mob training discussion, I hope that some NPCs are going to be protecting high value resource spawns extremely aggressively and unforgiving, but at the same time the random trash mobs just sprinkled here and there would be much more forgiving.

What I would really like to see are different NPC factions/races/groups/whatever actually working together in game.

For example you run into a goblin camp, the trash at the beginning is pretty easy to solo pull, or outright avoid if you want.

The further you get inside, the less and less chance you have to ever get a solo pull and mobs start aggroing off of each other and attacking the threat - you, together.
    ob4olqinudwv.png

discord.gg/pFCdaWM - Building a community across multiple games,
    including Ashes of Creation! Looking for members of all kinds to really pour
    our all into the Alpha 2, Betas, and then launch.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You won't stop speed runs lol. The faster you go the better the loot.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 2023
    Your title is asking one question, and your post is asking a different one. I'll try to answer both to be on the safe side. :smile:
    Would you guys be against mobs being more interactive?
    I would certainly like more options to interact with NPC's and creatures in general.
    Dialogue options, bartering trades, requesting assistance, hiring, taming, scaring off, pacifying, and even engaging in combat.
    I think it would be even better if mob bosses could be a lot more interactive in their attacks... What do you guys think?
    Yes, a wide range of abilities, constantly changing attack patterns, and a level of combat tatctic that change depending on context in relation to the creatures intelligence level would be welcome. I also believe this is Intrepids plan. There are some information about this regarding the use of modern AI in NPC behaviour control, to replace the more traditional scripted encounters.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited February 2023
    I really appreciate having different choices. In my opinion, when a group of four players attacks a mob, the mob should have the choice to flee and join other mobs, or even use a warhorn to call twenty more mobs for reinforcements.

Such options are very basic but engaging.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I really appreciate having different choices. In my opinion, when a group of four players attacks a mob, the mob should have the choice to flee and join other mobs, or even use a warhorn to call twenty more mobs for reinforcements.

While that sounds nice in concept, dying to utter randomness isn't particularly fun and devalues strategy. I'll explain why.

Let's say you're fighting mobs in an open world dungeon as a solo player, and just as you leash a mob, a PKer appears. If RNG favored you and the mob is attacking you alone, you have enough vitality to survive the PKer's attacks as well and run away. If RNG didn't favor you and that mob called three more, your health is being rapidly depleted and the PKer effortlessly finishes you off.

The above scenario is transposable to group scenarios. Took every precaution but got unlucky and have 20 mobs on your asses? Too bad. Get wiped by a passing party of PKers.
  • Options
    Just please make AoC hard. Please. I dont want to see 'speed-runs' and things of the sort. It would be nice to see mobs take defensive maneuvers, almost mimicking player movements.

If you can't "speed run" something, that would mean that it takes a set amount of time to finish that said thing. Without a minimal time, technically anything can be speed ran. No matter how hard something is, it can be speed ran as long as time doesn't set a restriction.
  • Options
    Yes, more interactive mobs. I want to be able to walk up to a raid boss, tell him my sister will sleep with him if he kills himself and respawns later. Allow him an option to agree, disagree or make a counter offer and then be on our way.
  • Options

While that sounds nice in concept, dying to utter randomness isn't particularly fun and devalues strategy. I'll explain why.

Let's say you're fighting mobs in an open world dungeon as a solo player, and just as you leash a mob, a PKer appears. If RNG favored you and the mob is attacking you alone, you have enough vitality to survive the PKer's attacks as well and run away. If RNG didn't favor you and that mob called three more, your health is being rapidly depleted and the PKer effortlessly finishes you off.

The above scenario is transposable to group scenarios. Took every precaution but got unlucky and have 20 mobs on your asses? Too bad. Get wiped by a passing party of PKers.

I am familiar with experiencing events and being attacked by large groups of players in Guild Wars 2, particularly in the World vs World mode. This does not bother me as I have grown accustomed to the mechanics and can anticipate them.

While I recognize that completely random occurrences can be problematic, I am okay with fair and predictable events when the rolls brings a bit of spice.
  • Options
    edited February 2023

I am familiar with experiencing events and being attacked by large groups of players in Guild Wars 2, particularly in the World vs World mode. This does not bother me as I have grown accustomed to the mechanics and can anticipate them.

While I recognize that completely random occurrences can be problematic, I am okay with fair and predictable events when the rolls brings a bit of spice.

I get the notion that you've never played a PvX Sandbox with consequences before. There's a big difference between an open-world PvP with regressive death and something like GW2. While a theme park like GW2 might have no real danger of loss no matter how often you die, you'll quickly notice that dying in a game like AoC where gear, loot, and dozens of hours of progress are on the line isn't as blasé. Dying to underbaked mob RNG will have players rioting.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited February 2023

I get the notion that you've never played a PvX Sandbox with consequences before. There's a big difference between an open-world PvP with regressive death and something like GW2. While a theme park like GW2 might have no real danger of loss no matter how often you die, you'll quickly notice that dying in a game like AoC where gear, loot, and dozens of hours of progress are on the line isn't as blasé. Dying to underbaked mob RNG will have players rioting.

I am one of the greatest PKs in Ultima Online history btw, I lived off by mining people and I barely never had to buy or grind anything

AoC won't have full loot anyway, you will lose some gathereables and that's all, then you will have some debuffs, AoC consequenecs are pretty mild

The only big consequences will come when the node gets destroyed

Anyway, the topic is about mobs