Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Suggestion (Subclasses system, possibility to change classes)

Hi everyone!

I would like to share an idea that could be of great benefit to this game.

I read the information that there will be no class change option.
But the game is under development and I heard that some ideas that will positively affect the game can be heard.
Moreover, there are much more pluses in this system, but I don’t see any minuses.

Next, I will try to describe my idea, its pros and cons.
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and leave your comment.

I, like many other players, have come across a situation where you have warm feelings with one class,
but for the clan / const party / farm / convenience - you need another class to play.

Let me give you an example:
I want to play as a rogue, I like this class, but it is one that will be absolutely useless in farming (grinding mobs
where mages will have absolute superiority), in mass PVP (where RDD will give much more benefit) raid bosses (where rogues
will instantly die from the massive attacks of the boss), sieges, sea battles and all the others, others - it will be lack of sense.

Everyone knows that clans absolutely doesn't need meleeDD, always much more is needed - RDD and supports+tanks.
Everyone understands that meleeDD (for example, a rouge) at mass PVP, attacking the enemy, killing one of them (if you are lucky),
you will immediately get into focus and immediately die (even with stealth skill, rogue will be killed with AOE skills).
The benefit of such an action in mass battles is minimal, result = focus and instant death for Melee DD.
At the same time, in mass pvp I like to play as a healer/support or mage.
And in order to play also as a healer, support or mage - I need to go to leveling my alt char.

It turns out that in order to play "for my own pleasure" and also playing in favor of the clan - I will need to create one more character
and constantly re-login to it.

Yes, there is a convenience in this that he can already stand in the right place with this alt.
But it will also be manipulation and will not give a complete immersion in the game.
Or another situation, if another class is needed in my const party.
Let's go leveling one more alt character?

Or I suddenly wanted to explore from the inside what it's like to be a tank.
Let's go again to leveling one more character?

But I'm one of those players that it would be important to have exactly one character forever, and I think for many of us it's important.
My character, with my nickname, is my gaming personality, my reputation, my creation.
What I put my time and energy into, and creating a new character will no longer give that favor, that motivation...
I don't want to create a bunch of characters, although this will give mobility in the disposition. And there are many players like me.

My suggestion is to consider introducing the function of "subclass" - an additional class (main archetype and a secondary
archetype) into the game.

Execution example
After completing a difficult quest, or without it, I will be able to take on my character one more additional main archetype and a secondary archetype.
Having taken a "subclass", the character immediately becomes the maximum level and after learning to rush into high content, or becomes level 1 and can choose to go to the desired initial zone for further lvling, possibly with a x2-x10 experience multiplier ..
Further, the player can change his second "subclass" to the first in his node / in a peaceful zone, etc.

What advantages does it give?

It often happens that when everyone on the server has already reached the maximum lvl, everyone is in the endgame zones, with the exception of searching for resources in low lvl zones.
If an additional class needs to be leveled from the first level, there will be no empty locations for low-mid lvling, there will always be players
who want to level a new class on their character (subclass). And the q-ty of players who want to lvlup their subclass
will be much greater than the q-ty of players who want to create and lvlup alt in the absence of this function.
This is a plus, since newcomers will always appear in the game, and they will be able to be in not empty location with another player (who
lvling their subclass) who will tell you something interesting, help you figure it out and, in general, not be as boring as leveling in an empty location.

Also, if lvl of subclass will be from the first level, the relevance of crafting resources for low-mid lvl demand will increase. I think it is clear that after some time of the game, the number of new players will tend to a small q-ty (ps: although I hope for a stable and plentiful increase).
And for those who will be a beginner, he will not be able to immediately create high-level resources that are in demand.
But if we will have a lot of players who lvling a new subclass, there will be a constant demand for low-mid-level resources.
So that the crafting of low-mid lvl items will be really in demand, and not the thoughtless creation of resources to increase the level of the profession.

For those who did not like his class, instead of abandoning the game and all the progress of his game character (lvling a new alt character = losing a lot, and for many this is an urge to quit the game) - there will be an opportunity to upgrade a new class in the body of your main character, without losing achievements, reputation and other moments of your character.

It will give you more immersion in the game when you need a healer on the boss, and you are on a warrior - you don’t just switch to another alt character who is already in the right place, but by changing your main class you rush to help the clan.

Long life of characters. Sometimes there are situations when somebody stops playing. And it's very nice, after a few months or even years,
when you go into your old favorite game, to see the characters with familiar nicknames since the start of the game. People with a good reputation won't need to change characters to start a new class over and over again.

Variety. It often happens that you are tired of the main class, creating a new one is all from scratch. This is often not desirable to do, so many suffer on old characters, which in the future can cause dismorality and leave the game. But with additional classes - there will always be an opportunity to start a new class and for your own pleasure.

Plus for roleplaying players, where the identity and personality of one particular character is valued, and when you change to another, it will not be the same.

Crafting consumable items could be added to the game, which will be used to change the class. And consumables are always a plus for the economy of the game.

The player will value his reputation, because with the possibility of a subclass - he is less likely to want to leveling a new character, he would rather take a subclass.

Additional activity in the form of lvling and learning how works another classes on your main character.
On your main character, this is a lot nicer than creating a bunch of alts.

In fact, further we can describe many more advantages of this system, but the main thing is that the developers hear it, which I sincerely believe in.

About minuses of this system:
I honestly don't see any of them.

This will add comfort, convenience and desire to play to those who are tired of the current main class.
And at the same time, it will reduce the disadvantages in the form alts of healers, bards, who are already ready at the desired spot.

It is very interesting to listen to the thoughts of everyone who cares about the future of the best game in the world.
I also really hope for feedback from the developers.

I apologize for a lot of text and possible incorrectness of my English (I am from Ukraine and my English is not perfect).
Thank you for your attention!

Comments

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There are massive draw backs to this. Most important of them being community interdependence. Allowing players to swap between main party roles removes the need to work with and help each other.

This is an old thread about this topic. please do revive it.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46179/no-alts/p1
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    There are massive draw backs to this. Most important of them being community interdependence. Allowing players to swap between main party roles removes the need to work with and help each other.

This is an old thread about this topic. please do revive it.
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/46179/no-alts/p1

Thanks for your reply and this topic link. I will try to study this topic in depth.
    Our vision of the situation with that topic starter is similar.

But so much time has passed. It might be worth revisiting this idea.

But even so, I don't understand what's wrong with idea of classes switch and how it will replace the need to work and help each other?
    If full const party is already staffed, they will have enough roles in their full party without any interaction.
    Indeed, if they need, they will simply do alts for "independence". And usually, they do so. Sometimes even simply using additional windows.

And in a situation where lack of 1 healer in the party, you cannot replace DD (will be not enough damage) and the tank, so they will be looking for healer. Subclasses will not do any negative effect on this.
  • Options
    Vargos wrote: »
    And in a situation where lack of 1 healer in the party, you cannot replace DD (will be not enough damage) and the tank, so they will be looking for healer. Subclasses will not do any negative effect on this.
    If a party is missing some crucial role, they can have 2 of their members get that role's augments and fill that empty space somewhat. I'd imagine that the absolute majority of parties won't do top lvl content with missing roles, so the current system should be more than enough to provide players with a way to fill a role w/o completely changing their main archetype.
  • Options
    No
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    Why stop at one additional main+secondary archetype? Gotta collect 'em all, right?!

You could be EVERY main+secondary archetype, all at the same time! All 64 classes at once! Then there'd be no need for any of them, cos everybody would be exactly the same! Whoop!

Or, you could just level a second character?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    VargosVargos Member
    edited February 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    If a party is missing some crucial role, they can have 2 of their members get that role's augments and fill that empty space somewhat. I'd imagine that the absolute majority of parties won't do top lvl content with missing roles, so the current system should be more than enough to provide players with a way to fill a role w/o completely changing their main archetype.

Based on this, subclasses will not negatively affect this in any way.
    But at the same time, they will give the opportunity for diversity and other advantages that I described above.

Roxi wrote: »
    No

What are your arguments?
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Why stop at one additional main+secondary archetype? Gotta collect 'em all, right?!

You could be EVERY main+secondary archetype, all at the same time! All 64 classes at once! Then there'd be no need for any of them, cos everybody would be exactly the same! Whoop!

Or, you could just level a second character?

It's like a comment about nothing. This is not about subclasses for all possible classes, but about one subclass, this is the first thing. And secondly, even if it is possible to upgrade at least subclasses of all classes, this is only an opportunity for activity, and no one will be the same, since at the same time you can only be one Main class at a time.
  • Options
    It's like a comment about nothing.

lauren-lopez-starkid.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Based on this, subclasses will not negatively affect this in any way.
    But at the same time, they will give the opportunity for diversity and other advantages that I described above.
    Subclasses could replace an archetype because they pretty much become that archetype (even if with a few limitations). Augments only fill out a role in an incomplete way. The negative effect would come from higher self-sufficiency of smaller parties.

You only have 5 people instead of 8? You can still do more content if you choose the correct subclasses (well, that is if Intrepid design their game well enough to require different archetypes for different content).

But if you have 5 people that can only get augments on their base archetype abilities - some content will be unavailable to you and you'll have to look for more people with the correct archetypes. This will lead to higher socialization in the game and better player interconnectivity. Obviously some people will just make alts, but considering that alts will most likely take ~20 days of hardcore leveling, I'd imagine that only the minority of players would choose that over just finding another player for their party.

In other words, subclasses would give players more freedom than Intrepid wants them to have.