Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Rogue class concept (how to make it playable in group activities?)

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for your attention and comment.

I'm here to discuss the Rogue class in Ashes of Creation.
As someone who's played MMOs for many years, I've found that the Rogue class is often not in demand in parties, clans and mass activities (farm, raid bosses, mass PvP, etc).

In large-scale PvP, sieges, and raids, the Rogue is usually useless due to their low defense and lack of range attacks, AoE attacks, and constant deaths in melee combat with raid bosses and enemies in pvp.
In AoC, per the information that we have, Rogue will be in demand only for dungeons with treasure and secret rooms, maybe sometimes in caravan activities.

However, I believe that every class should be in demand in all activities and have equal opportunities for farming and self-class development.

So, I'd like to write a few suggestions to make the Rogue class more useful and in demand for group activities:

->Make stealth useful. Especially in the archetype of rogue + rogue, it should be as invisible as possible and use stealth multiple times, even if it has less defense. (This is a general opinion).
If there are simple ways to find the Rogue in hide, simple programs may appear to track it (some software, etc). Unscrupulous players, unfortunately, also exist.

->Stealth could be made multi-level. For example, depending on the number of enemies within a radius of 200 meters, stealth would change its properties (passive ability, sixth sense?).
For example:
-If there are 5 enemies - detection becomes more difficult.
-If there are 10 enemies - detection is impossible and the stealth charge is added/reduced the cooldown of use.
-If there are more than 15 enemies - mass attacks do not reveal the rogue from stealth.
-If there are more than 20 enemies - the rogue becomes immune to mass attacks, and the number of stealth uses increases without cooldown or with a minor cooldown (q-ty of charges?).
This would allow the rogue (assassin) to participate in large-scale PvP activities without affecting the balance in small groups.

->Increased damage if the damage is dealt to one target for some time period without damaging to other targets. If a rogue constantly deals damage to only one target without switching targets (raid boss), the damage multiplier for attacks from behind would increase, and evasion/defense against all types of attacks from that target would also increase. This could bring life to the rogue in raid boss encounters. The rogue would deal competitive damage and have survivability in raid bosses, making it worthwhile to bring them into a group. Additionally, this would fit the concept of the "assassin who follows their prey without changing targets."
This would give them an advantage in raid boss encounters and make them a worthwhile addition to a group.

->Add the possibility to reorient towards RDD when adding a second archetype and augmentation. For example, if Ranger is a balanced archer, then Predator (Rogue+Ranger) could be a glass cannon archer or an bow-styled assassin, that focused on damage. This would allow the Rogue to participate in such a spec in mass PvP, raid bosses, and sea content.

These abilities will not affect balance in small groups or solo farming, but it will allow to be in demand in mass PvP and raid bosses.

Also regarding PvE, I think we need to think about this. All classes always have mass abilities for farming a large q-ty of mobs or fast range\aoe exp farming, but usually, the rogue does not have such an opportunity and PvE farming, as well as character leveling, is usually much harder for Rogue than for other classes, which is very unfair. Therefore, I request to consider some options for leveling balancing so that the rogue can level up/farm as comfortably and quickly as other classes.

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions for increasing Rogue class demand in group activities in Ashes of Creation? Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    I've had almost the exact opposite experience. Rogues were very good at solo leveling, useful in party leveling due to their high single target damage and debuffs, amazing in pvp and mass pvp (again, due to super high single target dmg), very useful in raids (cause valuable debuffs) and were the best gank class in the game. Steven played the same game, so there's a chance that AoC rogues would have some of the same characteristics.

As for mass pve - fuck no. I don't want literally all the archetypes to do the same shit. Some of them will be good at mass pve and some will not. That's how it should be.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    I've had almost the exact opposite experience. Rogues were very good at solo leveling, useful in party leveling due to their high single target damage and debuffs, amazing in pvp and mass pvp (again, due to super high single target dmg), very useful in raids (cause valuable debuffs) and were the best gank class in the game. Steven played the same game, so there's a chance that AoC rogues would have some of the same characteristics.

As for mass pve - fuck no. I don't want literally all the archetypes to do the same shit. Some of them will be good at mass pve and some will not. That's how it should be.

Maybe you haven't played a rogue in these games and you had such an impression?
    Or we played different games)
    No offense to you, but it's strange that our experience is so different.

Although there's hope that the rogue will be useful in group activities, I started this topic to make sure we don't overlook this class.

For example, in Lineage 2, which Steven played, rogues were utterly useless in mass PvP, sieges, raid bosses, and farming.

In ArcheAge, another game Steven played, rogues were always less valuable in groups, than RDD, whether it was PvP or PvE.

I've encountered similar situations in other games where it was always more advantageous to have an archer or mage in the group as a DPS role.

Here are some examples:

✓In mass PvP or sieges with more than 20 players, rogues who approach too closely will be instantly targeted and killed. Even if they're invisible, they'll die without reaching their target because they'll be detected by AOE skills. Even if enemy don’t see him and open up behind of the enemies group - he will be killed instantly, and good luck if he can take at least someone with him.

✓In raid boss battles, rogues need to be near the boss to deal damage, but they'll also die from the boss's AOE abilities. While there's a tank to aggro the boss, it's more beneficial for a group to have a ranged mage/archer at a safe distance to deal damage to the boss, avoiding the need to heal a rogue frequently due to their weak defense and susceptibility to mass skills.

✓In PvE farming, groups usually gather and use AOE skills, making rogues useless in such a party. The other classes will kill a group of mobs faster, while the rogue runs to the target and hits them one by one without AOE skills.

✓And also how it could be in future AOC's sea activities, such as ship-to-ship combat and attacking sea raid bosses, rogues are also useless. They can't swim to an enemy ship without being killed or exposed by AoE skills if they try to hide on an enemy ship's deck. It's the same situation with sea raid bosses as with regular raid bosses.

Regarding PvE, it's true that assassins aren't designed for AoE PvE farming. However, rogues should have the same ease and speed in PvE as other classes. It wouldn't be fair if all classes took two hours to level up, but the rogue took six.
  • Options
    Vargos wrote: »
    Maybe you haven't played a rogue in these games and you had such an impression?
    Or we played different games)
    No offense to you, but it's strange that our experience is so different.
    I've both played and GLed guilds that had several dagger parties in L2. They had big impact in sieges, did a ton of damage in raids (and enabled tyrs/destrs to do more) and they were needed in party pvp because of their super high burst dps.

Maybe you played L2 on super early chronicles, where daggers didn't have gap closers or stealth or other useful tools?
    ✓And also how it could be in future AOC's sea activities, such as ship-to-ship combat and attacking sea raid bosses, rogues are also useless. They can't swim to an enemy ship without being killed or exposed by AoE skills if they try to hide on an enemy ship's deck. It's the same situation with sea raid bosses as with regular raid bosses.
    We got no idea how sea combat will be designed so it's hard to say what impact any archetype would have. If sea content can only be cleared by mages and archers - that'd be the dumbest decision Intrepid could make.
    Regarding PvE, it's true that assassins aren't designed for AoE PvE farming. However, rogues should have the same ease and speed in PvE as other classes. It wouldn't be fair if all classes took two hours to level up, but the rogue took six.
    That's the point. Not all archetypes are meant to be equal in different types of content. Rogues should be incredible in single target combat or in party-like pve (where mobs have healers and supports), but they should be utter trash in mass pve.

Ashes is not about single player gameplay. You need to be in a party and you need other people to help you. Intrepid is trying to make "one of each archetype" a viable party setup, so if people decide to diverge from that to fit some type of content better - that's gonna be on them.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    My rogue in my old guild was mass pve only. I used to let her be in my tank group.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VargosVargos Member
    edited February 2023
    I've both played and GLed guilds that had several dagger parties in L2. They had big impact in sieges, did a ton of damage in raids (and enabled tyrs/destrs to do more) and they were needed in party pvp because of their super high burst dps.

Maybe you played L2 on super early chronicles, where daggers didn't have gap closers or stealth or other useful tools?

Thank you for your comments.

Yes, you're right, I really last played on Interlude. I abandoned the official server after the release of GoD. Lineage 2 started to die rapidly for me after that.

I agree that in versions after Interlude (Kamael and beyond), rogues became playable. But for mass PvP, it's worth remembering that they had skills that gave them almost complete invincibility on the battlefield for a fairly long time and reset the target (Wind Riding, Ghost Walking, Dodge, Mirage, Ultimate Evasion).
    We got no idea how sea combat will be designed so it's hard to say what impact any archetype would have. If sea content can only be cleared by mages and archers - that'd be the dumbest decision Intrepid could make.

Yes, we still don't know how it will be implemented in the sea content. But knowing that there will be galleons accommodating up to 100 people, there is a guess that there will be battles between players on different ships. Based on this, it can be assumed that there will be a shootout between galleons and players on galleons. Perhaps part of the sea caravan content will resemble trading schooners in ArcheAge, where it was also practically impossible to be useful as a rogue in mass sea PvP.
    That's the point. Not all archetypes are meant to be equal in different types of content. Rogues should be incredible in single target combat or in party-like pve (where mobs have healers and supports), but they should be utter trash in mass pve.

Ashes is not about single player gameplay. You need to be in a party and you need other people to help you. Intrepid is trying to make "one of each archetype" a viable party setup, so if people decide to diverge from that to fit some type of content better - that's gonna be on them.

I agree that not every class should be self-sufficient and strong in everything, in order to have more social interaction. But again, it should be balanced and there should be a place for every player of every class.

That's why I suggested some rogue skill concepts that could make them in demand and interesting in mass PvP and raids. Most likely, none of this will be implemented, but perhaps some of the developers will look into this topic and it will give them good ideas. It's a kind of brainstorming. When you study many ideas, a solution may emerge from small pieces.
  • Options
    I agree that in versions after Interlude (Kamael and beyond), rogues became playable. But for mass PvP, it's worth remembering that they had skills that gave them almost complete invincibility on the battlefield for a fairly long time and reset the target (Wind Riding, Ghost Walking, Dodge, Mirage, Ultimate Evasion).
    And that's the tools I was talking about. I definitely want detargeting abilities/passives in Ashes and rogues to be the main archetype that uses them. And even semi-transparent visuals on a stealthed rogue would prevent the majority of people in a siege to miss them. Sieges are always a mess and it's gonna be really difficult to see a stealthed rogue through all the effects and other people.
    Yes, we still don't know how it will be implemented in the sea content. But knowing that there will be galleons accommodating up to 100 people, there is a guess that there will be battles between players on different ships. Based on this, it can be assumed that there will be a shootout between galleons and players on galleons. Perhaps part of the sea caravan content will resemble trading schooners in ArcheAge, where it was also practically impossible to be useful as a rogue in mass sea PvP.
    And alternatively sea pvp could involve boarding the enemy ships or even shooting people out of cannons or some shit. And rogues would be perfect for that because they're the best class in close combat (or at least on par with fighters). Additionally we know that we'll have potion launchers that would serve as the main means of ranged attacks on ships, so what if rogues have some cool debuffs that they can apply to the potions, so they'd be directly involved in ranged combat even w/o fighting people one on one.
    I agree that not every class should be self-sufficient and strong in everything, in order to have more social interaction. But again, it should be balanced and there should be a place for every player of every class.
    Solo or small group farming should be viable too (though not as much as mass pve) and rogues should be super valuable in those situations. And, as I said, if Intrepid are successful with their goal of "one of each" party design - rogues will have some kind of role in all types of content, so they'll have something to do even in mass pve/pvp.

But we have 0 info on the rogue so we don't know what kind of design Intrepid is going for rn.
  • Options
    And that's the tools I was talking about. I definitely want detargeting abilities/passives in Ashes and rogues to be the main archetype that uses them.
    I created this topic to draw attention to the rogue and not forget to implement playability for him in mass PvP and other mass activities.
    To do this, I proposed options for skills that, in my opinion, will not break the balance but will provide more opportunities for their application.
    And I just hope that the developers will at least look into this topic and make a note for themselves "playability of the rogue in mass activities."
    For me, this would already be a blessing.
    And even semi-transparent visuals on a stealthed rogue would prevent the majority of people in a siege to miss them. Sieges are always a mess and it's gonna be really difficult to see a stealthed rogue through all the effects and other people.
    Yes, sieges are chaotic, and it will not be easy to notice a sneaking rogue. But they should also have the ability to retreat from the battlefield. I hope this will not be the only resort - jump into a fight with little hope to kill someone before you died from AoE dmg in the next few seconds, and without chances to return alive, how it works in most MMORPG for rogue...
    After all, if you even kill someone, it will be almost impossible for a rogue to leave the battlefield with "visible invisibility" after you show your presence.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited February 2023
    The Rogue class in other games is typically a close-range class that employs medium armor. However, in AoC, players will have the freedom to choose any armor they desire, along with the corresponding advantages and disadvantages. Additionally, in AoC, every player will have the ability to dual-class, leading to further benefits and drawbacks.

Due to these differences, it remains unclear how many distinct alterations will be necessary.

I would not stress on this matter for now.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    My point is that Rogues in AoC are inherently distinct. While it's understandable to be concerned that the same issues present in other games may reoccur in AoC, there's currently no basis for such concerns.

So: /close
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    The Rogue class in other games is typically a close-range class that employs medium armor. However, in AoC, players will have the freedom to choose any armor they desire, along with the corresponding advantages and disadvantages. Additionally, in AoC, every player will have the ability to dual-class, leading to further benefits and drawbacks.

Due to these differences, it remains unclear how many distinct alterations will be necessary.

I would not stress on this matter for now.

As Steven mentioned, regardless of the second archetype, the main influence will come from the primary archetype. If we take the concept of a classic rogue, that's what we're talking about in this topic. And if you read the potential problems of the rogue in mass activities that I describe, you'll understand that the ability to use different armor hardly will affect this potential problem.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    My point is that Rogues in AoC are inherently distinct. While it's understandable to be concerned that the same issues present in other games may reoccur in AoC, there's currently no basis for such concerns.

So: /close

Currently, there may not be grounds for matters, as we haven't seen a concept from the developers yet, but it's better to try to draw attention to this earlier than to ask the developers to change something after a finished prototype.
  • Options
    Prototype is never finished until after the showcase and feedback.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Prototype is never finished until after the showcase and feedback.

Is it bad to suggest your ideas and voice possible problems and concerns before the prototype is developed?
    I think not.
  • Options
    No but I correct your assumption. I have no issues with your assertions.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    No but I correct your assumption. I have no issues with your assertions.

Thank you for this. It's actually reassuring.
    Overall, I created this thread because I wanted to make things better and possibly present some ideas or discuss some problems before the class prototype, but, unfortunately, I didn't receive support from other players.
  • Options
    There is a push to prevent a WoW styled Rogue. I do not see why the Ashes Rogue can't be more suited to group play and pve masses. I think there's a difference between back stabs and a true Rogue. I see Rogues as fast movers much like GW2. Not that GW2 is the shining beacon for some lol.

In the end, we can but make requests and pray to The Sandal God (Steven). There will be victories and there will be losses but at the end we can rest easy in the knowledge we were tested, weighed and heard.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

As someone who's played MMOs for many years, I've found that the Rogue class is often not in demand in parties, clans and mass activities (farm, raid bosses, mass PvP, etc).

In large-scale PvP, sieges, and raids, the Rogue is usually useless due to their low defense and lack of range attacks, AoE attacks, and constant deaths in melee combat with raid bosses and enemies in pvp.
    In AoC, per the information that we have, Rogue will be in demand only for dungeons with treasure and secret rooms, maybe sometimes in caravan activities.

However, I believe that every class should be in demand in all activities and have equal opportunities for farming and self-class development.

So, I'd like to write a few suggestions to make the Rogue class more useful and in demand for group activities:

->Make stealth useful. Especially in the archetype of rogue + rogue, it should be as invisible as possible and use stealth multiple times, even if it has less defense. (This is a general opinion).
    If there are simple ways to find the Rogue in hide, simple programs may appear to track it (some software, etc). Unscrupulous players, unfortunately, also exist.

->Stealth could be made multi-level. For example, depending on the number of enemies within a radius of 200 meters, stealth would change its properties (passive ability, sixth sense?).
    For example:
    -If there are 10 enemies - detection is impossible and the stealth charge is added/reduced the cooldown of use.
    -If there are more than 15 enemies - mass attacks do not reveal the rogue from stealth.
    -If there are more than 20 enemies - the rogue becomes immune to mass attacks, and the number of stealth uses increases without cooldown or with a minor cooldown (q-ty of charges?).
    This would allow the rogue (assassin) to participate in large-scale PvP activities without affecting the balance in small groups.

->Increased damage if the damage is dealt to one target for some time period without damaging to other targets. If a rogue constantly deals damage to only one target without switching targets (raid boss), the damage multiplier for attacks from behind would increase, and evasion/defense against all types of attacks from that target would also increase. This could bring life to the rogue in raid boss encounters. The rogue would deal competitive damage and have survivability in raid bosses, making it worthwhile to bring them into a group. Additionally, this would fit the concept of the "assassin who follows their prey without changing targets."
    This would give them an advantage in raid boss encounters and make them a worthwhile addition to a group.

->Add the possibility to reorient towards RDD when adding a second archetype and augmentation. For example, if Ranger is a balanced archer, then Predator (Rogue+Ranger) could be a glass cannon archer or an bow-styled assassin, that focused on damage. This would allow the Rogue to participate in such a spec in mass PvP, raid bosses, and sea content.

These abilities will not affect balance in small groups or solo farming, but it will allow to be in demand in mass PvP and raid bosses.

Also regarding PvE, I think we need to think about this. All classes always have mass abilities for farming a large q-ty of mobs or fast range\aoe exp farming, but usually, the rogue does not have such an opportunity and PvE farming, as well as character leveling, is usually much harder for Rogue than for other classes, which is very unfair. Therefore, I request to consider some options for leveling balancing so that the rogue can level up/farm as comfortably and quickly as other classes.

What do you think? Do you have any other suggestions for increasing Rogue class demand in group activities in Ashes of Creation? Thanks for reading!

It's already been stated that classes will have their own roles to play their part with strengths and weaknesses. Homogenizing classes is contradictory to the direction AoC is going.
  • Options
    Patchify wrote: »

It's already been stated that classes will have their own roles to play their part with strengths and weaknesses.

Yes, classes will play their role, but if this role is not in demand or its application is impractical, it casts doubt on such a role system. This topic is simply to draw attention to the rogue class and make this class relevant for mass activities such as mass PvP, sieges, raid bosses, and so on.
    Patchify wrote: »
    Homogenizing classes is contradictory to the direction AoC is going.

Also, the direction in which AoC is moving is to make all classes necessary and have interaction and mutual necessity between them. There is no mention in this topic of making all classes similar.
    The goal is to make Rogue class in demand in parties and mass activities.
  • Options
    Gui10Gui10 Member
    edited February 2023
    In large-scale PvP, sieges, and raids, the Rogue is usually useless

100% disagree. I have no idea whiuch game gave you this impression?? But actually rogues have always been in high demand in every mmorpg because they are super useful in PvP and PvE!

In PvP, they have a unique ability of getting behind enemy lines and taking out important targets swiftly! No other class can kill as fast, as cleanly and as quietly as the Rogue. They are a menace. Many top PvP groups are led by or include important Rogue figures.

In PvE, they are usualy among the highest dps classes, albeist its a bit harder for them to position because they are very close-range and less beefy than warriors, still very useful. In AoC, the Rogues will have an additionnal role in PvE with their unique treasure seeking ability and unlocking certain pathways other clases wont be able to.
  • Options
    VargosVargos Member
    edited February 2023
    Gui10 wrote: »
    In large-scale PvP, sieges, and raids, the Rogue is usually useless

100% disagree. I have no idea whiuch game gave you this impression?? But actually rogues have always been in high demand in every mmorpg because they are super useful in PvP and PvE!

In PvP, they have a unique ability of getting behind enemy lines and taking out important targets swiftly! No other class can kill as fast, as cleanly and as quietly as the Rogue. They are a menace. Many top PvP groups are led by or include important Rogue figures.

In PvE, they are usualy among the highest dps classes, albeist its a bit harder for them to position because they are very close-range and less beefy than warriors, still very useful. In AoC, the Rogues will have an additionnal role in PvE with their unique treasure seeking ability and unlocking certain pathways other clases wont be able to.

Our gaming experience may differ, and it can vary between different games and their versions. And again, did you play as a rogue, or is it just your perspective from the outside? Above, I described situations where a rogue might not be in demand:

I've encountered similar situations in other games where it was always more advantageous to have an archer or mage in the group as a DPS role.

Here are some examples:

✓In mass PvP or sieges with more than 20 players, rogues who approach too closely will be instantly targeted and killed. Even if they're invisible, they'll die without reaching their target because they'll be detected by AOE skills. Even if enemy don’t see him and open up behind of the enemies group - he will be killed instantly, and good luck if he can take at least someone with him.

✓In raid boss battles, rogues need to be near the boss to deal damage, but they'll also die from the boss's AOE abilities. While there's a tank to aggro the boss, it's more beneficial for a group to have a ranged mage/archer at a safe distance to deal damage to the boss, avoiding the need to heal a rogue frequently due to their weak defense and susceptibility to mass skills.

✓In PvE farming, groups usually gather and use AOE skills, making rogues useless in such a party. The other classes will kill a group of mobs faster, while the rogue runs to the target and hits them one by one without AOE skills.

I will repeat again that I just want to draw attention to this. Perhaps the developers already have a ready-made prototype that will fit perfectly into AoC. But we don't know about it, and I just wanted to draw attention to it so that we don't miss it.
  • Options
    i take the other approach make stealth less useful and buff them in other regards to compensate, stealth is a double edge sword make it to strong you rely on it which makes rogues ineffective in large scale content since once there out of stealth they instant die. Stealth shouldnt be perma invisibly like it is in most games there need to be indicators like i dont have an issue with stealth being complete invisability but have the terrain give them away if u looking for it for example grasses move out of there way when they walk so u can see where there moving.
    Make them less reliant on stealth and you can buff there other aspects, Crowfall for example when it was playing they were able to stand there own in large scale content they even make them tanky aswell and thery were efective.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    i take the other approach make stealth less useful and buff them in other regards to compensate, stealth is a double edge sword make it to strong you rely on it which makes rogues ineffective in large scale content since once there out of stealth they instant die. Stealth shouldnt be perma invisibly like it is in most games there need to be indicators like i dont have an issue with stealth being complete invisability but have the terrain give them away if u looking for it for example grasses move out of there way when they walk so u can see where there moving.
    Make them less reliant on stealth and you can buff there other aspects, Crowfall for example when it was playing they were able to stand there own in large scale content they even make them tanky aswell and thery were efective.

I agree with the concept to make stealth less useful in favor of other advantages.
    Stealth should not be the main advantage and perhaps should only be used as an option for escaping combat or get closer in the bustle.
    But there should also be enough gap closers, mobility, speed, burst, and other abilities to be useful in group content and be in demand as a DPS class - on par with mages and archers (mass PvP, raid bosses, etc.).
  • Options
    Remember that it's not just the class abilities that determine the usefulness, it's also the battlefield. If I recall talks about PvP city and castle battles, there are a number of "sub-objectives" rather than just march up the field and bust through the gate. Stealth can work for that kind of stuff

I'm all for stealth being a part of a Rogue's toolkit. Stealth groups targeting healers, mages or siege operators, back capping, assassinating NPCs, etc.

For both party and raid PvE a Rogue can be made as useful as they want. That's just damage/buffs/debuffs/etc. Stealth can be part of the rotation or not. I'm partial to stunlock+evasion off-tanking being possible for a short time. Rogue is likely to compete with the Fighter for a group slot more than mages or archers, and I would hope that the Rogue is one of the most mobile classes. Leap back, charge, possibly actually having iframes on their dodges when other classes don't, etc.

I particularly hope there's a short term invisibility that leaves a copy of you behind, similar to GW2 mesmer...I just hope it's not locked in to Rogue/Summoner

• Options
    I’d agree that rogues are both useless and useless in group PvP, it depends on the context.

Usually rogues are sent off to solo or group disrupt in group PvP because of their stealth. They aren’t really a part of the group battles because they’re too squishy and melee.

You guys seem to be talking about different things, whether rogues can contribute in FFA open world PvP settings and whether rogues can contribute in an organized PvP group.
  • Options
    Rogues are often good in duels too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options

For example:

you cant have all classes equally good in all aspects of the game, unless you just have one class.

archers and mages are usually the best in most games in mass pvp, and I mean mass pvp, not 20 vs 20. when you have 200 ppl on the screen on each side in an open field, anything that isn't an archer or a mage or a support isn't that useful. mass pvp in corridors or small rooms is a different story tho.

also I suspect the more enemies are near the rogue, detection would be easier, not harder?

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    mass pvp in corridors or small rooms is a different story tho.
    And I think this is the main point that people seem to forget about. Ashes will have a ton of dungeons that have top lvl/quality content and sieges will happen in castle structures with chokeholds. All of that means close quarters, so archers and mages (who I'd assume would be thin-bodied) would be in danger of being way too close to the enemy rogues who can do massive burst dmg.
  • Options
    archers and mages are usually the best in most games in mass pvp, and I mean mass pvp, not 20 vs 20. when you have 200 ppl on the screen on each side in an open field, anything that isn't an archer or a mage or a support isn't that useful.

If it's like this everywhere, it doesn't mean that it should be the same here. There's nothing stopping the developers from discussing this issue and making the Rogue class just as useful in mass PvP. That's why this topic was created, to draw attention to this.
    also I suspect the more enemies are near the rogue, detection would be easier, not harder?
    If you read my messages at the start of the topic, I actually suggested one of the options where the mechanics of invisibility would change depending on the number of enemies around.
    For example, the rogue would be more visible (easier to detect him) if there is only one enemy in their field of view.
    At the same time, if there are more than 20 enemy heroes, it would be impossible to detect Rogue and they would be immune to mass spells.
    Such a mechanic, I think, may not be implemented, but it's just food for thought.

• Options
    mass pvp in corridors or small rooms is a different story tho.
    And I think this is the main point that people seem to forget about. Ashes will have a ton of dungeons that have top lvl/quality content and sieges will happen in castle structures with chokeholds. All of that means close quarters, so archers and mages (who I'd assume would be thin-bodied) would be in danger of being way too close to the enemy rogues who can do massive burst dmg.

Corridors and small rooms, I can't imagine it well.
    Even if it's 20*20 in corridors/small rooms, what's the point of a Rogue there?
    When a rogue approaches, mages from the enemy party will each cast one AoE spell and the rogue is dead. He won't even have time to reach his target to deal any damage.

Not to mention 20 vs 20. I think even 5 mages simultaneously using one AoE spell - would be enough to leave nothing of the rogue (its around 0,5 seconds of time for cast this).
    So it could be 10*10 is already enough - to make Rogue useless in PvP.
    Also there may be obstacles to movement on foot in the same dungeons, which can also make it difficult to get close.

Moreover, this is a highly social game, and in such a game, if you can't provide usefulness, you won't receive it from others, and the level of enjoyment of playing with this class will be minimized.
  • Options
    You could always go Rogue/Ranger and convert all your skills to ranged skills. You'd most likely have to use a bow but you could also go Rogue/Mage and use magical ranged weapons. Pure rogue might be less likely to be so versatile as ranged rogue in mass pvp.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif