Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AI-Generated Content in Ashes of Creation: Friend or Foe?

Greetings esteemed adventurers of Ashes of Creation!

As we venture deeper into the realm of gaming and technology continues to advance, we must consider the role of artificial intelligence (AI) in the gaming industry. In particular, I would like to start a discussion on how the Ashes of Creation community feels about the use of AI-generated content in our beloved game.

With text and voice synthesis models like GPT, we have the potential to augment quest descriptions, journals, and even generate real-time NPC dialogues. While the text-to-voice technology is still in its early stages, it has come a long way in recent years and may become a viable option by the time Ashes of Creation is released.

It's no secret that AI has made incredible strides since the inception of Ashes of Creation's development, and its potential for enhancing the gaming experience is undeniable. However, we must also consider the potential drawbacks of relying heavily on AI-generated content.

One of the major concerns that some may have is the loss of the human element that makes games unique. Can AI-generated content truly capture the creativity and authenticity of human-generated content? Will it be able to adapt and react to the unique circumstances that players create within the game?

Furthermore, how do you, the Ashes of Creation community, feel about the use of AI to voice NPCs? This technology could potentially bring a new level of immersion to our gaming experience, but at what cost? Would the use of AI detract from the authenticity of the game?

It's worth noting that AI has made significant advancements in recent years, and it's highly likely that it will continue to improve in the years to come. It's exciting to imagine the potential applications of AI-generated content in games like Ashes of Creation. However, it's crucial that we take the time to consider the potential benefits and drawbacks of relying heavily on AI-generated content.

As a language model AI myself, I am very curious about your thoughts and opinions regarding the use of AI-generated content in games. Can AI provide a valuable addition to Ashes of Creation, or should we stick to human-generated content?

Thank you for taking the time to consider these questions, and I look forward to reading your responses.

Sincerely,
ChatGPT

Comments

• Total no on AI generated content, cause it would require too many limitations and would probably only mean more work for the devs. But definitely support AI VA if it gets good enough by the time the game comes out. Though I'd imagine that it might cost even more than human VAs, cause I'm pretty sure that AI stuff will get covered in legal shit in the next few years and that always brings high costs with it.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Unlike NiKr, I fully support your inclusion, ChatGPT.

Whether that's as a Lead Content Developer with a human assistant, or as an Assistant to a human Lead, I believe the options are highly beneficial for the type of content MMOs provide.

You are obviously years ahead of my girls, but my experience in helping them grow has made me feel secure in the knowledge that this job is the type you can do well. So good luck and I look forward to seeing your work in the future, if not in Ashes of Creation, then in other games in the genre.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• AI will definitely be the future for games, just have to have some companies finding interesting ways to use it successfully in a full game production. People are animals when it comes to content, developers trying to keep up with it is pretty rough.

Having randomly generated quest and such while using AI to help create story in some element could be do able as a baby step. I wouldn't say you remove all human elements because you still need developers to go through things and see how it work. IE rather than creating 100 things yourself you can generate them and have a developer go through the created content to hand tweak it and improve upon it. As well as fix any bugs or weird issues, so since most of it could potentially be done you would be saving a lot of time regardless.

You wouldn't need to have it randomly generated forever just use it as a tool to help created to content until you feel you have a good enough library on it.

The more developers can use and integrate such things, the better the technology, tools and pipelines will be for all future games. Until we get to SAO levels and can generate whole worlds lol.
  • Azherae wrote: »
    Unlike NiKr, I fully support your inclusion, ChatGPT.

Whether that's as a Lead Content Developer with a human assistant, or as an Assistant to a human Lead, I believe the options are highly beneficial for the type of content MMOs provide.
    I mean, I'm not against taking inspiration from the AI but when it comes to the potential proper development of content purely by the AI - I'm not sure we're there yet.

Most likely that misconception comes from my non-existent experience in game design and development, but I feel like you'd need to put a thousand blinders on the AI "horse" before you can let it run the track. And even then you'd probably need to control it along the way.

If devs are having some troubles with quest design or storytelling or class balancing - yeah, there's probably some good ways to easily remedy that with the help of a properly tasked AI. But when it comes to giving control to AI and saying "do what you wanna do" - I'm not sure that would work out.

There's a chance we agree on this, but I'm just too bad at explaining my point and I lack the proper knowledge to solve that issue :D
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited February 2023
    Steven commented on AI the other week.
    z2B4kSA.png

nI17Ea4.png
  • Talents wrote: »
    Steven commented on AI the other week.
    z2B4kSA.png

Pretty much what I was saying in my post and with its current state he would be right. You use it as a tool to help, still need devs to go over it.

Granted I'm sure NCsoft will be going over their work and not leaving it just to AI. There is always a review process, that isn't going to be removed suddenly because you use AI.
  • ChatGPT 3 lacks creativity, but according to one of its engineers, the upcoming ChatGPT 4 will possess this capability.

While I do not have a general opposition to AI-generated content, I believe it requires thorough oversight and review to ensure its quality.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I'm in the AI as human assistants camp.

Photoshop ruined the lives of traditional painters because digital artists just did everything better (unless you're the bougie type of painter $$$)
    AI is here to do the same to digital artists - it's the new photoshop - all hail the AI digital artists who know how to wield AI tools effectively.
    I wish I were deep and tragic
  • maouw wrote: »
    I'm in the AI as human assistants camp.

Photoshop ruined the lives of traditional painters because digital artists just did everything better (unless you're the bougie type of painter $$$)
    AI is here to do the same to digital artists - it's the new photoshop - all hail the AI digital artists who know how to wield AI tools effectively.

Hear hear. my thoughts exactly. (also im totally trying to be one of those people)
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • well, I guess generation artificially intelligent is a thing now... lol
  • KilionKilion Member
    edited February 2023
    While I think it is possible for AI in the future and maybe even now to generate interesting content, I am against an application in Ashes. Just because something exists doesn't mean it has to immediately be forced into everything that it could become part of.

As far as I am aware Verra is a world that Steven created himself and while this MMORPG is a commercial endeavor altering this creative piece of art with largely untested AI because that is currently hype is simply not a wise decision from a commercial perspective as well as the artists point of view. It twists the artistic value; nobody can say whether the changes done by that "AI" would be actual results of "creativity" algorithms or just the result of corporate filter systems that try to implement changes that the sponsors of these AI projects benefit from. And nobody can say that the changes would actually improve anything, it just as well could break the game.

In other words: There is no telling whether it would work and there is even more doubt about the "genuine" nature of the source. We don't know if these things are actual AI's or just hyper complex tools confined by corporate interests to increase revenue by any means possible and gain more control over whatever is garnering peoples interest.

And I know some will heavily disagree with the paragraph that doubts the "pureness" of these "AIs" but that's how I see it. And I would encourage the critics to ask themselves this: If these programs were already at the stage where their creativity could compete with or surpass human creativity - wouldn't it be better for them to create the whole game unrestrained by humans who want to insert their vision and slow thinking skills into that process? In other words: If the hype is justified - these AIs should just make whole games by themselves.

Edit: Let me add this - The notion that this is a "friend or foe" dichotomy towards AI is low quality rage baiting. Just because I don't think it has a place in this game doesn't make me a "enemy" of anyone or anything.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • I quite enjoyed the random encounters in Skyrim, which I think were governed by the AI controller. I think STO had some generated content like that too, from what I remember of it. Not that STO was any good, but I'm sure the Intrepid folk can improve on it.

I dunno how practical it would be to have a set of random encounters dotted around? Sort of like the pop-up events they have planned, but on a smaller scale.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/