Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Ask first ???

RealMadnessRealMadness Member
edited February 2023 in General Discussion
Hello everyone I have an Idea which I think will be wonderful for the whole community and for the dev as well. I just want to hear from all of you out there if you think the same. Do you think we the community should vote for every big decision for the game ? Something like old RuneScape? Can this work for Ashes of Creation ?

Comments

• Hello everyone I have an Idea which I think will be wonderful for the whole community and for the dev as well. I just want to hear from all of you out there if you think the same. Do you think we the community should vote for every big decision for the game ? Something like old RuneScape? Can this work for Ashes of Creation ?

No. Since Steven has a clear vision for what this games basic structure is supposed to be like, a full on democratization of the development - especially at the stage that we have reached by now - is simply running counter to that. And it would also raise some pretty difficult questions during a stage at which the development speed is supposed to pick up significantly rather than slowing down through votes:
    1. Who is allowed to cast a vote?
    2. Would accounts with more money on the table have more weight to their vote than others?
    3. Would the votes be connected to the account or the person?
    4. Can a subject on which a vote has been cast previously be allowed to be put up again?
    5. Who decides the points being put up for votes?
    6. Would votes be only "Yes"/"No" or will there be a period to contribute answers of which voters then can choose?
    7. Would votes be limited to the game development process only or maybe even marketing and or staff decisions?
    8. Would votes of which the results can ruin the game in ways the voters couldn't perceive be rejected?

I don't think the idea has much merit to it if not done from the very beginning. Yes, some people put substantial amounts of money on the table, but as far as I am aware they were never promised direct influence on the fundamental development process of the game which is understandable since putting money on the table doesn't give someone any knowledge on how to run a company or how to successfully develop a game. And when it comes to skin in the game Stevens investment and risk taken outweighs that of the community by far IMO.

Again - not saying this is impossible generally, but it doen't seem feasible or viable for Ashes.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • We're still getting the "OMG dis gaym iznt finnisht yett!" posts.

I don't want these people affecting the game!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hell No! I 100% believe that most players are absolutely stupid and have really, really no clue bout how game development works, I trust in intrepid, I have 0 faith in this or any gaming community overall, there are good players with good ideas, but the majority... definitely negative IQ
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    We have the dev threads. Sometimes we also get votes in the dev threads. The current format works and I don't think votes on all threads would be useful.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • AnimusRexAnimusRex Member
    edited February 2023
    Hell, no.

Imagine if every great invention by mankind was periodically paused for a vote by the locals on the next step.

We'd still be in caves eating dirt and debating whether fire was a good thing.
    The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Thank you I just wanted to hear other opinions. I'm not sure myself if that's a good idea that's why I wanted to ask for other opinions. From what I can read and understand is that most of you think people suck 🤣. Also, Kilion thank you for your long answer I can give you solutions to all of your points but I'm not convinced that this concept can actually work.

• pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    Nay
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Neigh
  • CawwCaww Member
    "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"

Let the visionaries do their work first, then the peanut gallery can have a crack at it.
  • SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    ... the community should vote for every big decision for the game? ...

No! This suggestion is the kind of stuff nightmares are made off.
  • MarcetMarcet Member
    Im voting to change the Tank name
  • Marcet wrote: »
    Im voting to change the Tank name

To Gladiator :smiley:
  • SunScriptSunScript Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hello everyone I have an Idea which I think will be wonderful for the whole community and for the dev as well. I just want to hear from all of you out there if you think the same. Do you think we the community should vote for every big decision for the game ? Something like old RuneScape? Can this work for Ashes of Creation ?

I think the community should vote for every big decision for the game, but NOT for the very big decisions, the biggest decisions, or the big decisions that have ascended beyond big decisions.
    Bow before the Emperor and your lives shall be spared. Refuse to bow and your lives shall be speared.
  • Hello everyone I have an Idea which I think will be wonderful for the whole community and for the dev as well. I just want to hear from all of you out there if you think the same. Do you think we the community should vote for every big decision for the game ? Something like old RuneScape? Can this work for Ashes of Creation ?

No.

It's Steven's game to determine the course of, and I don't think he feels like letting the peanut gallery muck up his designs and intentions. He's already open enough to community-input to certain lesser-systems, whereas he's adamant about the core pillars of the game's design.

When you can throw $30million of your own money into kickstarting the development of a different game, you go run/develop it however you like. I've seen some AWFUL input and suggestions here on the forums, and am glad it's not all up-for-vote.

• edited June 2023
    Definitely not. The Intrepid team has gaming industry experience and education around that area. I wouldn't want people without any of that to make any business critical decisions of this game. You can give your input here on the forum, but that's about it.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • No. Players are essentially "users", not "designers", not "engineers", not "managers".

As someone who works in the software industry I'd say most users are notoriously bad at telling you what they *really* want, and are even worse at *designing* the things they actually want.
    When you give users free reign over important decisions, disasters are usually bound to happen.

Plus, in most games the vocal community (who are more likely to actually vote) are usually a mere fraction of all players, and is often in no way a fair representation of all players' opinions. Sure you can ask these folks for opinions and ideas to use as reference, but giving them actual power to vote on important issues is likely gonna get you skewed results.

For reference, Eve Online actually has a player-elected council that can influence the developers, and imo Eve's always been a game that favors its most hardcore players.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    SunScript wrote: »

I think the community should vote for every big decision for the game, but NOT for the very big decisions, the biggest decisions, or the big decisions that have ascended beyond big decisions.

I agree, but only those members of the community that have put in $10,000,000 or more in to the game should get a vote.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One

For reference, Eve Online actually has a player-elected council that can influence the developers, and imo Eve's always been a game that favors its most hardcore players.

The council of stellar management has always been ignored. Except for when they wanted rorqual buffs.

And the opposite has been true on Eve's focus for a few years now. They're on their 4th iteration of the "new player experience" and hand out hundreds of thousands of skill points weekly just to keep casuals and noobs coming back. Along with selling ship packages on the store that come prefit if you don't know how module's work. They also have a smaller skill injector people can pay to win on if the free skill points aren't making you feel like youre progressing enough.

e3n1ms9y1lo6.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No, I do not believe there would be value in asking the community for every major decision

However, it might be good for community morale to try just the occasional one. But unfortunately it could be a hit and miss result.
  • RazThemunRazThemun Member
    edited June 2023
    NO! And here is why... you give a false sense of what you want is what you will receive. So you and 49 people decide you want blue smurphs in game that can give you extra crafting experience by rep grinding... Myself and 50 people decide smurphs should not be in the game.... Intrepid then nukes the smurph idea that they had. Resulting in you and 49 people becoming irate that intrepid did not listen to the player base. Not every decision big nor small should be up to the playerbase. The same as not every guild decision should be made by the entire guild community. At some point in time the leaders, creators, etc need to just go ahead with the vision that they had! As they are the ones who created it to begin with!
  • FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

No
  • CROW3CROW3 Member

No. Let's not confuse transparency with democracy.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png