Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

pro's and cons with development updates

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
from a visual side the game looks amazing, the combat needs some work but for the most part appart from being a little to flashy it looks really great and i am really happy with the direction the game is going, the open world looks incredible and even though we may not see a full deep dive dungeon review this month the trailer looks super cool, there are alot of great aspects of the live streams and we appreciate that they are being held monthly, however

and by no means is this meant to be disrespectful or hateful in any way towards intrepid its obvious they are working hard, but i think there are a few questions that need to be addressed, i think it would be more beneficial to get some actual factual information about the development than to see the same zone time and time again, as beautiful as the riverlands are it would be really cool to get some new information about the games development

for example, what is happening with freeholds, we have heard next to nothing about these despite being purchasable in the in game store, will we be able to place any skin anywhere? etc please address this in the upcoming live streams

what is happening with naval content, caravans and nodes above level 3?,

how far into development are the classes we have not seen yet, bard,rogue,summoner etc and further still are the arc types being worked on in the background or will these be worked on after the classes are finished? as there are another 64 classes ish yet to see, hopefully its not a monthly live stream for all of them

what further has been added to the character creator and what is left in development and to design?

what is happening with spot testing, ( i know there will be people that will say its ready when its ready ) however it was stated that spot testing would be starting in several months - several months ago

could we have an in depth live stream on the artisan skills, crafting etc, show us some in game footage instead of screen shots

i understand that the game is in development and as stated this is not suppose to be hateful or a when A2 when release post, i know there will be people in the comments saying this is just another when release forum post however this is not the case, the problem i personally have been following this game for many years now and i feel even with the live streams, as beautiful as they are i leave them knowing almost nothing more than i did the month before, no core mechanics or systems,

there are videos pre alpha 1 on youtube that have the graphics of todays era or an alpha 2 production game wich makes it hard to gauge what i am seeing in the live streams as A1 looked nothing like the videos that were released 4 years prior so its hard to tell when we watch you do play throughs if this is how the game is actually currently looking or not, please dont take this post the wrong way but please start addressing some of the issues and questions that we have been asking for, if there are long delays or time frames to get this content out or it is not yet even started being worked on it is fine as long as its transparent, if not i feel it is a mistake to release the live streams because its almost like a teaser for us hinting A2 could be soon when in reality it could be years away, as i said if it is years away its okay, just please be upfront with the roadmap or atleast tell us where we are in development for some of the core systems, thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited March 2023
    Chicago wrote: »
    ... i know there will be people in the comments saying this is just another when release forum post ...

Nailed it.

You'll have to be patient with the cadence of game development, @Chicago. They're not bound to hit a specific release date.

Just because you've been following development for years, that doesn't give you additional entitlements on Intrepid to furnish a roadmap.

The game will be done when it is done ... and we will participate in Alpha 2 when they are ready.

(Hint: Alpha 2 is not "years away".)
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    i am not asking when A2 and as nice as a roadmap would be its not the reason for this post either, the post is about core system questions that are repeatedly ignored. intrepid ask us to submit questions each month for the live stream so there is nothing entitled about this post, having a question chosen in an AMA like '' how are you steven'' is completely ridiculous, obviously we care how steven is and id be more than happy to hear an update on that monthly but don't choose it as one of the questions it just shows that they are being cherry picked and anything relevant or questions that they know the community may not like the answer to is being blatantly left out
  • Options
    also it is quite frustrating to ask these questions because every time someone does they just get flamed here being told they have no patience A2 will release when its ready, intrepid doesn't need to release this information to you etc etc at the end of the day no they don't need to release anything and anything we get is a plus, that being said, buying cosmetic skins is a direct investment to a game, the money is used to fund development, its not a huge lot different to buying stocks, if you invest in a company you should be able to ask any questions you like and its bad business to not have the answers
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Pros: we get to provide feedback
    Cons: people imagine that they are IS shsreholders.
  • Options
    Pros: we get to provide feedback
    Cons: people imagine that they are IS shsreholders.

There it is
  • Options
    for example, what is happening with freeholds, we have heard next to nothing about these despite being purchasable in the in game store, will we be able to place any skin anywhere? etc please address this in the upcoming live streams

all-of-this-pointing.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    DEVS

Pros: game devs can feel the waters before commiting too much time and money in certain systems, so this prevents total flops in the future. Creates a community and the community will advertise the game

Cons: it's annoying for everybody, devs have to spend too much energy in babysitting players, their expectations and outcries

PLAYERS

Pros: players are heard, they get a say

Cons: waiting for the game is annoying as hell, you can see bad systems comming in your way and you aren't a dev so you can't fix anything
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    from a visual side the game looks amazing, the combat needs some work but for the most part appart from being a little to flashy it looks really great and i am really happy with the direction the game is going, the open world looks incredible and even though we may not see a full deep dive dungeon review this month the trailer looks super cool, there are alot of great aspects of the live streams and we appreciate that they are being held monthly, however

and by no means is this meant to be disrespectful or hateful in any way towards intrepid its obvious they are working hard, but i think there are a few questions that need to be addressed, i think it would be more beneficial to get some actual factual information about the development than to see the same zone time and time again, as beautiful as the riverlands are it would be really cool to get some new information about the games development

what is happening with naval content, caravans and nodes above level 3?,

how far into development are the classes we have not seen yet, bard,rogue,summoner etc and further still are the arc types being worked on in the background or will these be worked on after the classes are finished? as there are another 64 classes ish yet to see, hopefully its not a monthly live stream for all of them

what further has been added to the character creator and what is left in development and to design?

what is happening with spot testing, ( i know there will be people that will say its ready when its ready ) however it was stated that spot testing would be starting in several months - several months ago

could we have an in depth live stream on the artisan skills, crafting etc, show us some in game footage instead of screen shots

i understand that the game is in development and as stated this is not suppose to be hateful or a when A2 when release post, i know there will be people in the comments saying this is just another when release forum post however this is not the case, the problem i personally have been following this game for many years now and i feel even with the live streams, as beautiful as they are i leave them knowing almost nothing more than i did the month before, no core mechanics or systems,

there are videos pre alpha 1 on youtube that have the graphics of todays era or an alpha 2 production game wich makes it hard to gauge what i am seeing in the live streams as A1 looked nothing like the videos that were released 4 years prior so its hard to tell when we watch you do play throughs if this is how the game is actually currently looking or not, please dont take this post the wrong way but please start addressing some of the issues and questions that we have been asking for, if there are long delays or time frames to get this content out or it is not yet even started being worked on it is fine as long as its transparent, if not i feel it is a mistake to release the live streams because its almost like a teaser for us hinting A2 could be soon when in reality it could be years away, as i said if it is years away its okay, just please be upfront with the roadmap or atleast tell us where we are in development for some of the core systems, thank you!

At each dev updtate I was hoping for an announcement for Alpha 2... Now I stoppped hoping...
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited March 2023
    i am not asking when A2 and as nice as a roadmap would be its not the reason for this post either, the post is about core system questions that are repeatedly ignored. intrepid ask us to submit questions each month for the live stream so there is nothing entitled about this post, having a question chosen in an AMA like '' how are you steven'' is completely ridiculous, obviously we care how steven is and id be more than happy to hear an update on that monthly but don't choose it as one of the questions it just shows that they are being cherry picked and anything relevant or questions that they know the community may not like the answer to is being blatantly left out

i wish they would do a road to alpha 2 check list, so we get a list of everything that need to be finished before alpha 2 and as devs finish them they tick it off the list so we can see how thing are progressing to the alpha 2 without the devs getting a time limit on it. it would just be nice to see how thing are progressing to that point and whats left to do all the blind speculations i think is doing the game harm more than anything atm people be like i think it march or june or what ever and even though the devs said nothing bout a date the days go past and we hear nothing which turns people off it seems. if we just had a check list so we can see progression and thing the blindless speculation woudlnt do as much harm as i feel it is currently, doesnt need to be a detailed list just a vague one like Nodes completed, alpha 2 map completed, Rogue class done, Ranger done, x profession done and so on.
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »

i wish they would do a road to alpha 2 check list, so we get a list of everything that need to be finished before alpha 2 and as devs finish them they tick it off the list so we can see how thing are progressing to the alpha 2 without the devs getting a time limit on it. it would just be nice to see how thing are progressing to that point and whats left to do all the blind speculations i think is doing the game harm more than anything atm people be like i think it march or june or what ever and even though the devs said nothing bout a date the days go past and we hear nothing which turns people off it seems. if we just had a check list so we can see progression and thing the blindless speculation woudlnt do as much harm as i feel it is currently, doesnt need to be a detailed list just a vague one like Nodes completed, alpha 2 map completed, Rogue class done, Ranger done, x profession done and so on.

Mate i could not agree more, the problem is when ever people ask any of these questions they are met with hate from the community, in my opinion a detailed road map with actual dates is not needed but like you said a check list would be amazing, we have seen the riverlands now for going on 7 months nothing more and classes that were available in alpha 1 appart from ranger but ranger was super close to being in A1 so it justmakes people speculate what else is being worked on and if everything is being worked on along side where is it? Its not like these are questions that have only been asked for a couple of weeks now, add onto that that steven said we would be spot testing by around now but now its silent again, if more work needs to be done its okay but be transparent
  • Options
    First it goes check list so people can see what is being done and start applying their own time.

Second people ask why certain things are not being started enough or shown

third people complain devs are taking to long and it doesn't make sense or some things are more important.

forth people have enough self-evidence to start hate trains while not understanding development.

ANYWAY people should be happy with what is shown and be happy to have some input on it before release. If you are unhappy option is for devs to not show anything and you get the game when its ready and have very little input during development.

I don't understand why people can't accept they are lucky to view things but instead it's just complaining. Where is this same energy for the riot mmorpg, for throne and liberty, archage 2, etc. Granted i know why it isn't thre because they don't need to show anything and people won't say much and will play it when it releases
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    First it goes check list so people can see what is being done and start applying their own time.

third people complain devs are taking to long and it doesn't make sense or some things are more important.

forth people have enough self-evidence to start hate trains while not understanding development.

ANYWAY people should be happy with what is shown and be happy to have some input on it before release. If you are unhappy option is for devs to not show anything and you get the game when its ready and have very little input during development.

I don't understand why people can't accept they are lucky to view things but instead it's just complaining. Where is this same energy for the riot mmorpg, for throne and liberty, archage 2, etc. Granted i know why it isn't thre because they don't need to show anything and people won't say much and will play it when it releases

The difference is mate the other games you listed are not selling alpha 2 keys for a 400 usd price tag, we all know this game is funded to completuon blah blah, but obviously they are marketing this to sell the packages, and the marketing is misleading, pwople are buying alpha 2 keys with the expectation that alpha 2 is around the corner, im well aware nothibg is promised within these sales and they have not stated that A2 is around the corner but its more than obvious that its being marketed that way from the live streams, it would be fine if we didnt hear anything until release but if so they should drop the online purchases and especially on things we know nothing about
  • Options

The difference is mate the other games you listed are not selling alpha 2 keys for a 400 usd price tag, we all know this game is funded to completuon blah blah, but obviously they are marketing this to sell the packages, and the marketing is misleading, pwople are buying alpha 2 keys with the expectation that alpha 2 is around the corner, im well aware nothibg is promised within these sales and they have not stated that A2 is around the corner but its more than obvious that its being marketed that way from the live streams, it would be fine if we didnt hear anything until release but if so they should drop the online purchases and especially on things we know nothing about

You literarily don't need to buy the key, buying it is does not make you a shareholder or something or give you extra information. Its about supporting the development because you believe they will make a good product. They simply have streams to be transparent and if you like what you see you can throw some money.

Have they ever said at any point when you gave them money they will be showing you everything and working based off a roadmap to follow? I don't believe i ever saw that when I bought a pack.
  • Options
    GalvyrGalvyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, so tell me if I’m wrong; you’re basically saying that the only feedback we should offer is praise.
  • Options
    Galvyr wrote: »

I’m not trying to put words in your mouth, so tell me if I’m wrong; you’re basically saying that the only feedback we should offer is praise.

When did i say not to offer feedback and only praise them?

I said just because you pay money doesn't mean you get to put a developer on a roadmap so you can view it and try and hold them accountable. You speak with your money, if what they show doesn't impress you, don't give money. Just because you give money doesn't mean you get to see everything when you want to see it.
  • Options

You literarily don't need to buy the key, buying it is does not make you a shareholder or something or give you extra information. Its about supporting the development because you believe they will make a good product. They simply have streams to be transparent and if you like what you see you can throw some money.

Have they ever said at any point when you gave them money they will be showing you everything and working based off a roadmap to follow? I don't believe i ever saw that when I bought a pack.

I understand this but where is the transparancy, all the questions that we would like answered are being ignored, instead we are seeing the riverlands for the 18th time, i feel like you miss understand what im saying and i understand that buying their products does not make you a share holder but if they are selling free holds for 25 usd every month for the past 4 yeara but cant even tell people if they will be able to use the skins that they buy? See my issue
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think I have more skins than I can use. However, I still buy the odd skin more if I like the skin. No real reason except appreciation to the artists.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Neurath wrote: »
    I think I have more skins than I can use. However, I still buy the odd skin more if I like the skin. No real reason except appreciation to the artists.

Me to mate, well not free holds but if they're cool costumes
  • Options

I understand this but where is the transparancy, all the questions that we would like answered are being ignored, instead we are seeing the riverlands for the 18th time, i feel like you miss understand what im saying and i understand that buying their products does not make you a share holder but if they are selling free holds for 25 usd every month for the past 4 yeara but cant even tell people if they will be able to use the skins that they buy? See my issue

You are trying to use transparency as a reason to hold them accountable. When their content is worked on and they are ready to show it they will. You will clearly get to see it before the game is released, that is as transparent as it gets.

Transparency doesn't mean you get monthly reports where they are being ahead or behind with development, nor does that help a consumer as they don't understand the process or care in most cases. Meaning nothing of benefit is to come, what they want is feedback on the things they show and the direction, not feedback on their development process and being told when they need to show something.

They are professionals they work on things they need for their own reasons, leave it to that. If this was BETA and not alpha it would be a different story.
  • Options
    If you buy something it makes no sense you wouldn't be able to use it, to say there is a fear you can't sounds like fear mongering to me.

If this is a repeat of the crossbow whole thing that isn't the end of the world, they needed to cut things and not really that big a deal. They refunded the money that was spent, though if it is a big pattern with a lot of things being refunded over time you could have more valid concerns at that point.

But I'm not going to assume that is going to happen as far as paid items.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It's a matter of semantics. I meant I have so many I will not be able to use them all. Not because of the devs but because onesies and freeholds are limited.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We're just as excited to participate and play in Alpha Two as everyone here. It's challenging at times to remain patient for the game. Open development is bittersweet when you're excited, as some have already pointed out.

We try to show off content as soon as it's ready to be shown off. We know there are some specific systems that players want to learn more about. The teams that work on those systems are hard at work, and we are excited to show off as much as we can, as soon as it's ready!
    community_management.gif