Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What is actual purpose of livestreams Intrepid does?

I know the answer should be obvious to this question, but seriously what is actual purpose of livestreams? The obvious answer would be giving update towards your community on your progress. But then why if some changes are done in development, especially when something is completely cut out of the game, those change are not covered up on livestreams?

Why it required a random guy to ask such random question for community to get update that crossbows will not exist in game. If livestreams purpose is deliver updates, why such weapon cut from the game wasn't covered? Could you imagine what would happened if such thing was discovered closer to launch?

Steven's reply didn't made things easier. I still can't find anywhere "official notification" regarding this issue, just a discord comment(which cannot be seen unless you aware of answer actually existing), that alone worries me. In fact Steven's explanation/answer brings up more questions when it answers, such as:
- for how long you know that crossbow won't be in game?
- why community wasn't informed when such decision was taken?
- did Intrepid was aware of them selling crossbow skin when decision to cut was taken? If yes, then why people weren't informed about their purchase being altered?
- how you actually going to refund the money people spent on those cosmetics? will it just 400 embers per skin (considering there was 4 skins for 1600 embers)? Will you refund fully 1600 embers but let players keep other 2 skins?

I honestly now wonder, what was cut out of development from ~2017 to 2020 (this period is likely where most cuts would had happen, I just guessing here) and we haven't been informed. Considering how many cosmetics were sold during development it only raises questions such as are there anything else being cut from game which had cosmetics being sold?

Anyway, if we want see actual progress and growth from Intrepid, how about taking first steps first and answering question which community is asking for over 2 years and Intrepid successfully still ignoring it. What for are cosmetics?

Comments

• Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2023
    Because crossbow was in apoc and not the mmo. If people went by what's shown rather than what's suggestive we would have less issues.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    GalvyrGalvyr Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I concur with everything you’ve said here. Intrepid has certainly dropped the ball when it comes to communication around the crossbow. I think their solution is a bad one. I think them not telling us this during the livestream is incredibly concerning and begs larger questions. This is bigger than the crossbow for sure.
  • Options
    Galvyr wrote: »
    I concur with everything you’ve said here. Intrepid has certainly dropped the ball when it comes to communication around the crossbow. I think their solution is a bad one. I think them not telling us this during the livestream is incredibly concerning and begs larger questions. This is bigger than the crossbow for sure.

thats why I made the post. It is not about crossbow. It is about process.
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    Because crossbow was in apoc and not the mmo. If people went by what's shown rather than what's suggestive we would have less issues.

this is not about crossbows. It is about the process. What for is livestream if you don't use your own platform to inform when stuff like this being cut? Especially when skins were sold.
  • Options
    RoxiRoxi Member
    people went by what's shown rather than what's suggestive we would have less issues.

I don't often agree with you, but this is it.
    5ls3nob7lngp.gif
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited March 2023
    To me, livestreams are fine and answer a lot, also serve their purpose by showcasing the development progress rather than delving into every minor detail.

There are likely countless intricate aspects of the game that remain undisclosed behind closed doors, and the sheer volume of work that Intrepid has is staggering.

The livestreams exceeded my expectations, livestreams are extra work and having livestreams monthly is crazy.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    edited March 2023

The problem is that it wasn’t suggested. They sold skins for crossbows. Every MMO has crossbows. There was no reason to think they weren’t going to have crossbows in the game. So many people act like putting crossbows in a Fantasy MMORPG is some kind of titanic feat. They had them in Apoc!
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited March 2023
    We are also happy to announce, that you will be able to earn cosmetics within Apocalypse that will carry over with your account into Ashes of Creation the MMORPG!
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/2018-12-08_Newsletter

And I'm almost fucking sure I've heard an audio version of pretty much that sentence, but I can't find it rn.

edit: ah, this kinda fits (from 38:47)
    https://youtu.be/eIuaDIgsQlg?t=2327
    This also implies another thing. The crossbows and launchers that took up dev time back in the APOC days was pretty much wasted, because those haven't transferred onto the mmo.
  • Options
    The devs wanted to put apoc to bed. I doubt the intentions were ill conceived. Steven wasn't even aware of the skins until chat highlighted and Maggie intervened. Also, all old questions about weapons were directed back to the wiki. We had limited scope about weapons for a long time. The process has been the same but the team has changed.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Galvyr wrote: »
    I think them not telling us this during the livestream is incredibly concerning and begs larger questions. This is bigger than the crossbow for sure.

Healthy debate on the crossbow decision is encouraged.

Conveniently adding slippery slope logic (that there's a larger problem) is not encouraged.
  • Options
    Its weird how this thread gets new messages but has no notifications and doesn't rise to the top of the lists after a new post.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    katsuenya wrote: »
    What is actual purpose of livestreams Intrepid does?

I would imagine they tick a lot of boxes.

- as a Marketing tool
    - the spreading of information, and increasing knowledge in the playerbase
    - a chance to show off their talents
    - genuine excitement about what it is they're doing
    - encouraging genuine excitement in the playerbase
    - giving the people what they want - we want to be shown stuff, they're showing us stuff

Suggesting that the livestreams are irrelevant just cos they've made the decision to remove crossbows from their plan, well, it's kinda pathetic.

spn-supernatural.gif

If it really causes you this much anguish, then maybe you need to step away for a few years, and come back when things are more solidified.

This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    what part of "everything is subject to change" you failed to understand about the development? they repeat this shit constantly, yet, when something does change, people are surprised 🤦🏻‍♂️

It's also funny to read this from someone that just got back from a month long ban after disrespecting Steven on the Discord, next time I hope they do perma ban
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    It's also funny to read this from someone that just got back from a month long ban after disrespecting Steven on the Discord, next time I hope they do perma ban

Mystery solved lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    its a commercial
  • Options
    edited March 2023

Healthy debate on the crossbow decision is encouraged.

Conveniently adding slippery slope logic (that there's a larger problem) is not encouraged.

I’m not saying that since crossbows are gone, that means that Intrepid has now lost the plot and now they will deliver a product that is wholly different from what was presented.

I’m simply saying that I feel as though the way it this situation was communicated was not ideal. Weapons that they sold skins for, that could be ported to Ashes, being cut from the game, and that being communicated through Discord is not ideal. I feel like the livestream was the perfect venue for that. I think most of us can agree on that. I’m not a doomsayer. I think Intrepid is a good company.
  • Options
    As long as they show something new each month and it looks like they are heading in the direction of a complete MMO, the purpose of the livestreams has been achieved. How many kickstarter MMOs have had no updates for years and then it turns out there is no game?

The goal of the livestream is to let the backers know they will eventually get the game they backed.