Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

will monetized cosmetics ruin visual progression?

It seems to be happening in every single MMO. There's no sense of awe when you see someone with an amazing gear set or outfit because you can now just buy skins and outfits from every in-game shop. It's foolish to have the ability to purchase "outfits" or other pieces of cosmetic gear in a game where immersion is supposed to be extremely important. I really want this game to take the correct path, monetized cosmetics are not the correct path. I would argue, cosmetic purchases are extremely destructive, especially to a game of this caliber. The way your character looks in the game is supposed to give you and others a sense of how powerful or accomplished they are. It tells a story. Let's use "Thunderfury" for example, I'm sure a lot of people know what this is. If you saw somebody with Thunderfury in 2006 it was extremely impressive. Another example, pvp gear in WoW. Whether it was classic vanilla pvp gear you got from ranking or arena sets, it was awesome to obtain those set pieces. To put it simply, purchased cosmetics are detrimental to the world as a whole. They are obtained beyond the 4th wall. There is no accomplishment associated with them. You might as well just mesh the outfits with pictures of benjamin franklin dabbing. Intrepid. Come on. Don't fk this up.

Comments

• Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited March 2023
    Welcome to the forums, @Anastaru!

You should familiarize yourself with the Ashes Wiki ... which can answer many a question.

There's a lot of info there for a game that's still in Alpha.

Cosmetics achievable in-game will be on-par, and in the case of legendary skins, even more elaborate than shop items.[6][7][2]

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Cosmetics
  • Options
    What @Taleof2Cities is correct; In-game cosmetics will have a minimal impact on visual progression, since everything will have in-game achievable variants and the "best-looking" ones are supposed to be from legendary-level sources.

Yours truly has never held the perspective that everyone needs to look like garbage at the start of the game. We're coming from a civilized world wherein the re-settlers of Verra already have histories and lives; only the desperate and down-trodden would be portal-ing to Verra from Sanctus wearing worn-out burlap clothing.

• Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Yes. Visual progression is not really a thing in Ashes with all the store-bought cosmetics. There is no real rags to riches visual progression arc in this game. So in that sense it is ruined.

Even for legendary skins, compared to store-bought, we're likely only going from very cool to super cool. And it is most likely entirely a subjective evaluation at that.

At this point, it's just something people will have to accept, or move on to another game really. There are already a ton of cosmetics sold, and a ton more will be made and sold before release, as well as after.
  • Options
    Don't care about cosmetics or visuals so no.
  • Options
    They have stated, that the goal is for the most visually appealing gear, will be achieved in game from clearing content. Now that can be subjective as every person's view on value is different. You might like the look of the store cosmetics more than in game. Another player may prefer the in game cosmetics. In the end though, it is a video game.... so is it really that serious? probably not
  • Options
    There is a certain segment of players that value visual progression really highly. We are arguably entering the territory of semantics here, but I think anytime you can swipe your credit card and get an upgrade, the progression is ruined. That goes for visuals as well as any other area in the game, like combat power or inventory space or XP or any other time saving mechanic, etc. Different things matter to different people (fortunately), and visual progression has been butchered in Ashes ever since they started selling cosmetics.
  • Options
    Increased revenue for the game can only be a good thing. You likely won't even care once you get in the game and realise that you look awesome anyway.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    CAT EARSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

c8c1fb91678237.5e3853dd48585.jpg
  • Options
    We need a dislike button :D
  • Options
    Personally speaking I've done the rags to riches thing so many times I'm quite looking forwards to not starting the game as a hobo.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2023
    I don't necessarily want visual progression.
    I prefer to have my own signature look that is easily recognizable - similar to Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.
    Even before transmogs... my Ratonga main in EQ2 only wore starting rags - her gearscore came from her weapon and the Jewelry her Kerran slavemaster crafted for her.

If I want my gear to indicate I'v accomplished something special in my Religion or Social Org or Node or Archetype or Profession, I can still do that in Ashes. I might want to always display those accomplishments via transmog once I achieve them - rather than abandon them just to progress my gearscore.

Steven says that all the player characters in Ashes are already heroes from jump - just for choosing to return to Verra, so... there really aren't any hobos.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Dygz wrote: »
    I don't necessarily want visual progression.
    I prefer to have my own signature look that is easily recognizable - similar to Superman, Batman, Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.
    Even before transmogs... my Ratonga main in EQ2 only wore starting rags - her gearscore came from her weapon and the Jewelry her Kerran slavemaster crafted for her.

While I know what you are talking about here, since you are quick to drop the pedantic hat I feel I should point out - EQ2 didnt have gearscore.
  • Options
    The thing with visual progression for me is that it peaks too early and usually falls down in the ridiculous fantasy territory afterwards.

I'm not charmed by the oversized glowy gear, fancy auras and not even by the symbolism of accomplishment from hard to obtain items.

Not a fan of starting in rags either. Simple look, yes. Barely functionally looking items, no.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited March 2023
    Now, visual progression is a drawback. People don't want to be locked in to one specific look for x number of levels or until you find something cool or God forbid locked into an ugly weapon choice forever.

People want to be able to customise their characters to suit their style and vision for the character they create.

oks0fznl1gln.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Give me:
    • vampire teeth
    • glowing eyes
    • cat ears
    • hissing sound when pvp starts