Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unreal 5.2 demo

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited March 2023 in General Discussion
Holy shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

I can't decide if I think upgrading to 5.2 will add to or subtract from the development time of Ashes. I guess it depends on how much procedural world-building they want/need to do, and later tweak. And that whole substrate thing is sick.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    To me, this feels like exactly the sort of thing that helps Ashes, particularly for updates.

I wouldn't ask for it to be developed with this, but as soon as the initial bugfixing phase is over, especially if they want to make any new areas available, or islands, I think this would be really great.

Then, maybe expand it to updating parts of the world, or even offering very slightly different non-traversable worldgen options for those with the systems that have the power to wrangle it.

So I'd say 'don't even think about it that way', use 5.1 until release, and 5.1+ 'after'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Pretty much what Azherae said. This is an expansion tool so it should come between release and expansions. Especially considering that there's gonna be waaay more UE updates before that so Intrepid will know which one to upgrade to. If they keep constantly upgrading their engine, we'll never see the game.
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    they need to lock a build and just go, game is releasing in 2077 if they continue doing engine updates
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    Keeping up to date, while incurring overhead, generally makes updating easier down the road. If you skip several versions and later decide you really want something in say 5.5, the upgrade path may not be as straightforward. So my recommendation would be to stay up to date regardless of whether you really need all of the new features. That's just coming from my own work experience.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Keeping up to date, while incurring overhead, generally makes updating easier down the road. If you skip several versions and later decide you really want something in say 5.5, the upgrade path may not be as straightforward. So my recommendation would be to stay up to date regardless of whether you really need all of the new features. That's just coming from my own work experience.

Understood, thanks.

Always glad to hear from someone knowledgeable on it directly.

Are UE5 upgrades generally easy enough that you'd estimate little slowdown, now, or is this general for whatever you work with?

I have bad luck with upgrading/next versions of anything so I don't even pay attention to this unless I have to, but that wasn't really the basis of my thoughts on this. I'd expect that the upgrade itself would be made as painless as possible by the engine devs.

What do you think of 'trying to actually utilize any features from it' though?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Guys I think this game will release when I start receiving a pension. I am 28 now. Please don't update engine again because I fear that I will not see this game release in my lifetime if we get another engine update :((((((((
  • Options
    The sounds were really good too! It sounded good enough to be natural IMO.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    From a developer standpoint, the engineer will analyze which are the gains and if the new technology can save some extra time
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    edited March 2023
    If the procedural creation is a feature of 5.1.1 or 5.2, then upgrading to it becomes a question of how much of the world is already built, and how much world-building time is saved by using it. IMO, they already have a bunch of the landscape finished. But for all we know they've barely touched the second continent and have thousands of hours left on building landscape.

One possibility is to launch A2 then upgrade the engine and build out the rest of the world while using A2 to test what they have. At some point in A2, wipe and release the upgrade with new territory (possibly only the new territory)

Foliage improvements can definitely wait until post-release /yawn
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nerror wrote: »
    Holy shit:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lkEOEEKYD0

I can't decide if I think upgrading to 5.2 will add to or subtract from the development time of Ashes. I guess it depends on how much procedural world-building they want/need to do, and later tweak. And that whole substrate thing is sick.

It'll always add.
  • Options
    People need to remember these features are in the experiential phase........
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    As much as I love ue I sometimes feel these advances are for games with smaller scope like single player games.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif