Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Combat melee physics

peksipeksi Member
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
I will repeat this because I know this is something that can make or break a game. I don’t want AoC to fail in combat physics.

To give immersion and thrill of fight the melee combat needs proper physics model. Both the attacker and creature receiving the punch must react to the the impact and give feedback: move back, lose balance, fall to the ground etc. Optimally the light/heavy attacks with melee weapons should collide with the target and not go through unless the target snaps in two. This will give the combat the brutality it needs.

Comments

• Options
    I completely agree with you here, I have checked out a Lazy Peons video comment section to see some feedback for the game and noticed that A LOT of people are complaining about the combat looking pretty dull. Hope the asehs of creations testers look out for what players need as well.
  • Options
    peksi wrote: »
    I will repeat this because I know this is something that can make or break a game. I don’t want AoC to fail in combat physics.

To give immersion and thrill of fight the melee combat needs proper physics model. Both the attacker and creature receiving the punch must react to the the impact and give feedback: move back, lose balance, fall to the ground etc. Optimally the light/heavy attacks with melee weapons should collide with the target and not go through unless the target snaps in two. This will give the combat the brutality it needs.

What mmorpg would you like to use as a reference for them?
  • Options
    I completely agree with you here, I have checked out a Lazy Peons video comment section to see some feedback for the game and noticed that A LOT of people are complaining about the combat looking pretty dull. Hope the asehs of creations testers look out for what players need as well.

You are literarily just repeating yourself on 2 different post. Random viewers are complaining that about low level combat not looking like high level combat. They also most likely don't know what a alpha is in the comments.
  • Options
    Problem comes when you have a party of multiple players all attacking, you can't expect the creatures to react to everyone's attacks exactly correctly. Combat physics in a single player game is a completely different animal than an MMO. Then, if you try to animate physics accurately across dozens of players and all of the monsters within sight, it becomes a performance nightmare. Of course combat has to "feel" good, but don't expect it to be physically accurate, or react to each player's attack equally.
    f51pcwlbgn8a.png
  • Options
    Problem comes when you have a party of multiple players all attacking, you can't expect the creatures to react to everyone's attacks exactly correctly. Combat physics in a single player game is a completely different animal than an MMO. Then, if you try to animate physics accurately across dozens of players and all of the monsters within sight, it becomes a performance nightmare. Of course combat has to "feel" good, but don't expect it to be physically accurate, or react to each player's attack equally.

Yup people are wanting high end single player elements included without explaining properly how to approach it in a mmorpg way.

Effectively at certain instances of damage or if you get a heavy cc and/or phases I'd have them react react in a certain way to feel like they have taken big dmg or a big hit. So it happens a few times over that fight and not every time they are being hitting..