Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I changed my mind about AoC! :p

In general, I don't see people here changing their opinions, but I did change my mind about how I see AoC.

A few days ago, before the last Carphin stream, I started seeing AoC as this game about this high fantasy world of Verra, a world of adventure, this is what the game is about. The systems related to the dynamic world will be fantastic to the point that they will outshine the PvP in terms of uniqueness. When the stream came about, it just confirmed my impressions.

The PvP will be there and it will be all around, but the pvp systems themselves are from the 90s-2000s, while the dynamic living world of Verra belongs to the 2020s-2030s. Because of this, a gank box puts in danger the main star of the game which is this dynamic world of adventure (pvp and pve).

So, I pretty much from now on am accepting every pvp band-aid, being flagging system, corruption and not being able to cc greens, safe zones, full pvp zones, plus any other band-aid. Because it all boils down to letting people go for adventures in this fantastic dynamic world. It is all about making sure the dynamic world delivers the intended experience of Verra, having a pile of band-aids is ok.

If the game becomes a gank box, then the game will fail in delivering the intended experience... this is what is at stake. The problem would be having a fantastic world ahead of you and not seeing it unfold. It would be truly sad!

Yes, I am still a murder hobo andI will still miss having modern pvp systems, things like mercenary contracts, pvp score based gear damage on the oponent (gold), kill rights on murderers, diplomacy, using the node gold for ramson, using the node gold for killing enemies, etc etc etc, the possibilibities are endless.... all those things can coexist with flagging system and corruption.
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Well, that's a first for this April!

Great to hear.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    Happy April
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    nice april fools joke
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Even if there is no built-in system for hiring mercenaries, you can still do that and the other things. Nothing is stopping you from hiring mercenaries, hit men, spending gold to hire people to attack or defend a node, giving a mayor a bribe for diplomatic purposes and so forth. All of that is bound to happen in the game and I think it is far better than having it built-in with some severely limited design.
  • Options
    WTF I didn't realize today is April's fool!!
    I am telling the truth tough :s

What a fluke, oh my god!!!
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    tautau wrote: »
    Even if there is no built-in system for hiring mercenaries, you can still do that and the other things. Nothing is stopping you from hiring mercenaries, hit men, spending gold to hire people to attack or defend a node, giving a mayor a bribe for diplomatic purposes and so forth. All of that is bound to happen in the game and I think it is far better than having it built-in with some severely limited design.

in AoC you can't withdraw node's funds, the gold is locked!

So, the node would actually need a policy to realease funds for paying kills on people who are wearing gear... since when people die the gear is damaged and the enemies will have to spend gold to repair their gear
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    In general, I don't see people here changing their opinions, but I did change my mind about how I see AoC.

A few days ago, before the last Carphin stream, I started seeing AoC as this game about this high fantasy world of Verra, a world of adventure, this is what the game is about. The systems related to the dynamic world will be fantastic to the point that they will outshine the PvP in terms of uniqueness. When the stream came about, it just confirmed my impressions.

The PvP will be there and it will be all around, but the pvp systems themselves are from the 90s-2000s, while the dynamic living world of Verra belongs to the 2020s-2030s. Because of this, a gank box puts in danger the main star of the game which is this dynamic world of adventure (pvp and pve).

So, I pretty much from now on am accepting every pvp band-aid, being flagging system, corruption and not being able to cc greens, safe zones, full pvp zones, plus any other band-aid. Because it all boils down to letting people go for adventures in this fantastic dynamic world. It is all about making sure the dynamic world delivers the intended experience of Verra, having a pile of band-aids is ok.

If the game becomes a gank box, then the game will fail in delivering the intended experience... this is what is at stake. The problem would be having a fantastic world ahead of you and not seeing it unfold. It would be truly sad!

Yes, I am still a murder hobo andI will still miss having modern pvp systems, things like mercenary contracts, pvp score based gear damage on the oponent (gold), kill rights on murderers, diplomacy, using the node gold for ramson, using the node gold for killing enemies, etc etc etc, the possibilibities are endless.... all those things can coexist with flagging system and corruption.

a bandaid can only be a bandaid after the game has been released and patched. you cant bandaid fix something before playtesting and when the game is in development :D you're building it at that point, not fixing it.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Now just brainstorm keeping bounty hunting relevant and we are good.
  • Options
    @Solvryn one thing that me and another user sugested is bringing kill rights to AoC, just like EVE has

If the corrupted washed off his corruption and he went back to green, there would still be a kill right on his head for 30 days... so he could be in the city while green and get dunked by bounty hunters :#
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Depraved wrote: »

a bandaid can only be a bandaid after the game has been released and patched. you cant bandaid fix something before playtesting and when the game is in development :D you're building it at that point, not fixing it.

I figured it all out, the game is about dynamic adventuring world Verra, anything that hurts this will be seen as bad to the game and anything that adds up to this will be seen as good.

Maybe another possibility is letting the citizen bounty hunters seeing enemies of the state in the map

This is why the PvP in AoC is there, but it is only for helping the dynamic world systems.
  • Options
    @Solvryn one thing that me and another user sugested is bringing kill rights to AoC, just like EVE has

If the corrupted washed off his corruption and he went back to green, there would still be a kill right on his head for 30 days... so he could be in the city while green and get dunked by bounty hunters :#

this is more anti pvp T_T
  • Options

I just think appropriately design scores, rankings, ratings are the best way to handle those things.

Intrepid floated around an actual bounty system where it could be placed on players heads, should revisit that concept.
  • Options

As I understand it, bounty hunters get free rewards, not only do they see pk on the map, but also pk is weakened by debuffs. Reward vs Reward
  • Options
    Gospell wrote: »
    As I understand it, bounty hunters get free rewards, not only do they see pk on the map, but also pk is weakened by debuffs. Reward vs Reward

Corrupted have full stats against bh
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    nice april fools joke

Hahaha, I was wondering the same! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »

This is good news, can you link to the source?
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    @Solvryn @Gospell to begin with, bounty hunters shouldn't exist in AoC, adding bhs to AoC is a design flaw, it is like "I like the word bounty hunter so I will add it to the game even if he has no place in here"

The lore is about the spiritual corruption invading and taking over this world of Verra, bounty hunters in the other hand are something out of a justice system, it has nothing to do with the spirit, AoC should have Inquiitors hunting the corrupted.

Inquisitors makes sense in the lore and embrace the story of this dynamic adventure high fantasy world of Verra with it's spiritual dilema... Verra is not about PvP,, PvP in AoC just serves the purpose of adding up to the dynamic world. This game is not about love for PvP, but about the dynamic world of Verra and every system should add up to this

This is what I found after my AoC enlightment, now I can see everything!
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    So, anything PvP related in AoC is not about the love for PvP, it's just a tool to add up in the dynamic world of Verra. This is how sieges add to this vision, there is node progresion, but then there is destruction. The PvE too, it changes the world.

So, is AoC a PvX game?
    It is a high fantasy dynamic world that uses PvP and PvE as wheels for this dynamic world, the star of the game is Verra, not it's PvX.... so it just uses the PvX as a tool... if PvP or PvE doesn't add to that, then they are not welcome... this is why there's corruption for pks. But the game itself is not about PvX, it is there as a serf for the dynamic world
  • Options
    @Solvryn the only good scoring system I see for AoC is score based on gold, if a player dies the gear is damage and there is a value in gold to repair his gear, this gold should be the score. So the winner of the fight will have 5000 score if the gear of the victim costs 5000 to repair.

Pretty simple, this could be even used as an invoice in wars so you can be paid by sponsors. This would also let the node have a policy to pay their citizens for their kills. But wait... oh this doesn't add up anything to the dynamic world, this is just pure love for PvP, so this will go be in AoC then
  • Options
    @Solvryn @Gospell to begin with, bounty hunters shouldn't exist in AoC, adding bhs to AoC is a design flaw, it is like "I like the word bounty hunter so I will add it to the game even if he has no place in here"

The lore is about the spiritual corruption invading and taking over this world of Verra, bounty hunters in the other hand are something out of a justice system, it has nothing to do with the spirit, AoC should have Inquiitors hunting the corrupted.

Inquisitors makes sense in the lore and embrace the story of this dynamic adventure high fantasy world of Verra with it's spiritual dilema... Verra is not about PvP,, PvP in AoC just serves the purpose of adding up to the dynamic world. This game is not about love for PvP, but about the dynamic world of Verra and every system should add up to this

Tbh, I am totally on board for the inqusitor theme. WTB crossbows back. :']
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options

We had this conversation, I think corruption should be a state. Where a score is for justice. So you “go corrupted” on a scale-meter.

Just my two sense.

Gg on your Verran Buddha state bub.
  • Options

We had this conversation, I think corruption should be a state. Where a score is for justice. So you “go corrupted” on a scale-meter.

Just my two sense.

there really was such a conversation. I then suggested that all the same, if corruption is of a religious nature, then there should be an inquisition, and not bh
  • Options

Just my two sense.

:)

Yes, bounty hunteres are about crimes and mercenary jobs, that has nothing to do with a corrupted spirit, the spirit is a religious matter
  • Options

This is good news, can you link to the source?

"Corrupted players may kill bounty hunters without acquiring additional corruption score.[29][30]
    Corrupted player's combat penalties do not apply when battling bounty hunters.[29]
    "
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Player_corruption
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    palabanapalabana Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Why do you have @Noaani's name in your signature? Is it your PvP history?
  • Options
    palabana wrote: »

Why do you have @Noaani's name in your signature? Is it your PvP history?

He is canceled, that's his cancellation expiry date