Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Unpopular Opinion - Abilities Particles

I believe that Ashes of Creation should reconsider the use of particle effects for basic abilities. While Steve mentioned the inclusion of a slider to adjust the visual effects, I suggest implementing the ability to toggle particle effects based on ability types, rather than having one slider for all abilities. A more nuanced approach, such as having basic abilities with 0% particle effects, thresholds with 25%, and ultimate abilities with 100%, could better enhance the overall gameplay experience. What are your thoughts on this suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    KilionKilion Member
    edited April 2023
    I don't see how this is unpopular at all, it seems to me that most people would even agree with you.

Flashy effects on base attacks with non-epic or better weapons seem way over the top to me and in fact hurting the gameplay as with an 8 player group the amount of effects will rob us of the ability to see what the enemy is up to. And even with epic or legendary weapons, I would only want small scale effects.
    If there are too many effects on the screen no matter what abilities are being used, it is impossible to learn or execute strategies against enemies.
    And this is just for one group against 1 mob (like in the recent stream), it becomes even worse if we were to have a raid or a large scale siege battle where hundreds of player could be clashing. That would turn into a flashing clusterf*** where focusing a target or reacting to a charged ability basically won't exist, as everything drowns in special effects. And there is no fun in blind button mashing, hoping your enemy is actually still there or doing that one move you need to counter.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    I also agree that the most basic skills should have basic effects. basic attack without a skills should have almost none. Maybe some sparks , if you hit a shield or heavy armor, some subtle wind traces to highlight weapon arc, or something minor added on a crit.

What about having effects have different LOD based on how close the camera is to the effect.

So if you zoom out to see a whole group fighting , or the effect you see is from someone further , it has thinner/lighter LOD. But if you are solo in the world , zoomed in , you see these nice fully fleshed effects.
  • Options
    I think mine is the unpopular opinion. I like flashy effects. It makes it feel more magical and fantastic. The only exception being that weird 15ft compass thing that completely envelops your character in a golden orb of oddness. Dunno if that's staying in the game from when it was shown, but I'd have much rather it had been a hand-held thing than a full body wraparound thing.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I think mine is the unpopular opinion. I like flashy effects. It makes it feel more magical and fantastic. The only exception being that weird 15ft compass thing that completely envelops your character in a golden orb of oddness. Dunno if that's staying in the game from when it was shown, but I'd have much rather it had been a hand-held thing than a full body wraparound thing.

I would agree, that I also like fancy effects in themselves. The issue for me is: fancy visuals shouldn't limit the possibility of creating interesting mechanics. There would be almost no point to an enemy lifting his sword for a powerful sweep attack we need to dodge, when we cannot see that due to the amount of effects on the screen. And since the game is said to be balanced/optimized for group gameplay we basically have to be think about whether we can see these types of attacks with 8 players on screen attacking and casting.
  • Options
    I guess we'll find out in Alpha-2!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I guess we'll find out in Alpha-2!

Yep, most things people worry about in regards to Ashes like corruption and so on really are things that can only be assessed by testing the game. And this is definitely one of these points.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    I would say your opinion is very popular. Ability and spell effects are extremely over the top in the current iteration that we have seen. They need to remove some completely, and tone down others to, like, 10% of the current levels. The image below is a screenshot from a recent livestream that shows some of the eye-searing levels of blinding effects, that completely obscures the combat itself. Flash-bangs everywhere.

Qm1jlfe.jpg
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    Look how tiny and delicate is the 2023 game of the year (will be) Hogwarts Legacy, the particles are tiny and delicate, they are as small as a bullet... in AoC the particles are as big as oranges

jKpbf2KXHttSFkfH8BXczY.jpg
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited April 2023
    Turjilin wrote: »
    I believe that Ashes of Creation should reconsider the use of particle effects for basic abilities. While Steve mentioned the inclusion of a slider to adjust the visual effects, I suggest implementing the ability to toggle particle effects based on ability types, rather than having one slider for all abilities. A more nuanced approach, such as having basic abilities with 0% particle effects, thresholds with 25%, and ultimate abilities with 100%, could better enhance the overall gameplay experience. What are your thoughts on this suggestion?

It's not unpopular. The majority is like "Steven please finally fix the f**** visuals of the skills" everything is so much over the top.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The effects are like bdo and bdo used effects to hide the crap combat.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif