Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will AoC incorporate Time Dilation, or TiDi to deal with mass pvp or congregation?

akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
Will/should AoC incorporate Time Dilation, or TiDi to deal with mass pvp or server mass congregation in extremes?

UO players crashed the system
L2 ported excess players out of a zone
Eve appears to handle it quite well

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    hopefully not, that would be a real band-aid...
  • Options
    I would like to agree, but should a high percentage of the server population congregate in one area, be that for pvp or streamer influence or some other reason, I wonder if that will just crash the server or there will be mechanics to prevent it.

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I'm finding it quite hard to imagine how exactly would this work in a hybrid-combat game. Metro sieges will most likely see the biggest amounts of people concentrated in roughly the same place, which will be a combat event, so it's not like Intrepid could just design the system around people simply existing rather than heavily acting.

This system works in EVE because its combat (and overall movement) is kinda turn-based, so you can just make those turns reaaaally long. I don't think that applies to normal mmos though.

I'd hope/assume that in the last ~20 years we've gotten at least some progress in hardware and software that's responsible for big collections of actors in games.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Actual Space Time dilation in a mages Blackhole would be hilarious.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would prefer not. Hopefully we can at least get the 250 v 250 to be completely smooth. I am pretty sure they can do that actually. Hopefully even 500 v 500

I guess it can be applied to the uncapped node sieges? Like a metro-siege that potentially has two thousand players? If everyone is allowed to sign up that is.
  • Options
    You'd better be careful about messing with TiDi, @akabear.

I know you're just trying to shorten your amount of time waiting for launch - but don't you go tearing any holes in the fabric of the space time continuum!

We need that thing in/upon which to play AoC....

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    I don't know if AoC will have a tick based system... if it is then TiDi could be inevitable, the problem about TiDi is that it slows down all regions running under the same server. So you could be alone chopping wood in the mountains and then you start chopping wood in slow motion

But TiDi is also the solution for other stuff
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    My impression is that that node siege and maybe castle siege will be instanced. It's possible that the "city map" will actually by a good and balanced "node siege map", but I'd rather err on the side of an enjoyable and balanced map that can be tweaked without messing up the city design. I'd think you would also need to make it instanced to have even numbers on both sides.

However, world bosses could be an issue. It's up to IS to make them not so predictable that the entire server knows that world boss Monty the Haul is spawning at 7pm thursday. I think they already have this covered by the predicate system.

Streamer zergs...yeah. Dunno about that.
  • Options
    Ultima crashed when too many players were in one area.
    L2 got really laggy, and ported players out of the area.
    New World got really laggy when there were too many players in one area.
    Elders scrolls had some funny rubberbanding when too many players in one area.

Wonder measures are in place for AoC?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    akabear wrote: »

Rift was by far the best MMO in this regard.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    akabear wrote: »

I think the numbers should be mentioned though. How many players did you need to crash UO? L2 started lagging like hell when you had several hundred people within 50m2. NW started lagging when you had a few dozen people in the same spot. How many was "too many" in ESO's case?

Cause while I definitely agree that no game was perfect, I do think that for its time L2 was surprisingly stable and allowed for huge fights.
    Noaani wrote: »
    Rift was by far the best MMO in this regard.
    How many could Rift hold w/o too much lag?