Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

AI dialogue voice acting

JeanPhilippeQCJeanPhilippeQC Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited April 2023 in General Discussion
I just found a YouTube video from Roarrior called “Ashes of Creation Must Launch With This Feature!” He talks about how voice acting is not a thing Intrepid want to do right now as it’s expensive and Steven consider it a luxury. He brings a solution that could, in my opinion, be a less costly solution: AI voice acting. Basically, he said AI dialogue voice acting would be less costly. He mentions an add-on for WoW Classic (No TBC and WOTLK) that add voices to NPC when they talk to you. He also mentioned that some players prefer to hear voices that read the text for some reason. It could add accessibility to the game. Intrepid want to use the latest technologies, and AI is going better and better. In my honest opinion, they could consider it for post launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJaMGRXfvis

Comments

  • Id hope to see npc's like in a store have some kind of memory, that when u purchase something the shop npc knows that you have buyed something and if you leave the shop trading screen
    but want to buy something else because you've forgotten something the npc doesnt say the same welcoming text over and over again for example.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Id hope to see npc's like in a store have some kind of memory, that when u purchase something the shop npc knows that you have buyed something and if you leave the shop trading screen
    but want to buy something else because you've forgotten something the npc doesnt say the same welcoming text over and over again for example.

    Why are you using a real persons name?
  • just saw the AI voice for WoW, it is really good, hopefully Intrepid will be compatible and let the players decide if they want to use it
  • McShaveMcShave Member
    edited April 2023
    After seeing the ai voice of wow classic, I find it hard to believe that is not the future of all voice acting. I don't expect this in ashes, because they won't allow addons, having sound files for all dialog options would be too much storage space for the game, and they would have to develop or pay a lot of money to include this voice AI in everyone's downloaded version of the game. I think almost every game will have this in the future tho.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    If this helps give you some of the forums comments already on this subject
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I really hope they don't go the AI route.
  • Id hope to see npc's like in a store have some kind of memory, that when u purchase something the shop npc knows that you have buyed something and if you leave the shop trading screen
    but want to buy something else because you've forgotten something the npc doesnt say the same welcoming text over and over again for example.

    Why are you using a real persons name?

    Maybe they are a real person?
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • SathragoSathrago Member
    edited April 2023
    Natasha wrote: »
    I really hope they don't go the AI route.

    Can you explain why? Instead of tons of VAs for endless hours of recording they can reduce the time (and possibly money) needed by getting a few good VAs to train from and generate many variant voices that can then be expertly edited and adjusted to fit the lines they want VAed.

    VAs are still required for this to work. Having expert vocalists to direct how the A.I. should act is a must, and can create a ton of high quality product that can be used for the game.

    VAs still get paid and the game saves money on hiring the extras they no longer need.

    If your issue is that this takes jobs away from those extras, maybe those extras should be the first ones to step forward to do these offers?
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    For all the reasons listed in the other thread, yes please to AI voice-over. It's an amazing accessibility feature. Personally I don't need it (I read good!), but I would certainly prefer to listen to quest dialogue instead of reading it. If they can add a narrator to all the lore and stuff I hope we'll be accumulating in our Journals, that would also be amazing.
  • 100% in favor for AI voice acting.

    It makes a big difference in terms of immersion and without it, most people won't even read the quests = they wont ever experience the story/most of the story.

    With AI voiced dialogue (that continues playing even after you ''spoke'' to the NPC, unless turned off) 99% of people will now experience the story and will have actual understanding of the quests = the quests = a large part of their gameplay will be a more fun experienec, as opposed to feeling like a chore (yes, even when well designed quests can feel like a chore when people decide to ruin their own experience by rushing content).

    AI voiced questing should be available at launch.

    It seems easy to produce decent quality AI voiced quests in a relatively short period of time and it doesn't look particularly complicated (an intern could do it).

    They should go for it.

  • Voice over is 100% important. Like @Ironhope said, most people won't ever read the quests. They just skip through it because they don't want to read. I mean why do you think most people nowadays are more in favor of audiobooks over actually reading a book.

    I use AI voice over everyday for work to convert new customers to shop a product. It's pretty standard today.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Sathrago wrote: »
    Natasha wrote: »
    I really hope they don't go the AI route.

    Can you explain why?

    I find it jarring, I'd much rather they had real voice actors, the VA industry gets more money and overall audio quality is massively improved.

    I also believe it's important that people learn to read, if one of the ways they're incentivised to do that is to fail a quest over and over because they can't read quest dialogue then I'm all for it.

    wloihmagf9e5.jpg
  • I think it's an interesting idea. And if you are concerned about storage space (for an MMO it would be a lot) then you could always make it optional free DLC. This also doesn't have to be something that comes in at launch and during beta tests they can always have only a few quests with it and see what people think.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Assuming Intrepid has roughly two years until release, an advanced AI voice acting could be implemented as this tech develops which surely would greatly improve and enhance the immersion factor of the game. This could include unique dialogue for each NPC encounter, encouraging players to actively listen to what the characters are saying rather than simply reading static text that repeats for every player. It's truly amazing to think about how this could impact the gaming experience.
  • At this point, AI assisted voice acting is not a matter of "if" but "when".

    It's like with the tv when internet rose up regarding shows of all kind. It cuts away many middlemen. From now on, anybody can be a voice actor.
    All the voice actors since the very 1st movies up until now will have their own packages. "The OG voice of [you name it] for $59.99!", with an exhaustive list of content it can be used on, a subscription depending on how many lines, if it's a main role etc.

    Don't forget it's not just about adding a voice, other AIs like Chat-GPT can be mixed up in the process and result in real-time dialogue:
    (can't find the original video, the author must've put it down since yesterday)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIc1AFqTulc

    or this one. Pretty rough, but it's just a draft:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz6mAX41fs0

    Anyway, be sure Intrepid is already on it.
  • peksipeksi Member
    edited April 2023
    They might not limit to just voice acting but behaviour as well.

    Incorporating more brains to NPCs is doable if they have NPC management done with external identity management type of solution. This enables syncing and modifying their data with external systems, enables reactions to weather etc.

    I hope they have such solution for NPCs, instead of static circle walking zombies.
  • AI voice acting, especially through voice cloning technology, could indeed be a cost-effective and innovative solution for adding voices to NPC dialogues. This not only addresses budget concerns but also aligns with the trend of utilizing the latest technologies in gaming. Have you explored specific voice cloning tools or technologies that could potentially suit Ashes of Creation?
  • Wow the AI voices from the Video are insane !

    I played wow for 10 years and eventhough i love the oldschool Text-Block Styled Quests.
    ''Bring 10 Meat'' is all i ever knew about the Quests
    Because after 10 or 20 Quests you eventually stop reading EVERYTHING and thats kinda sad cause you will not know the quests story.

    so i would LOVE to see something like the AI-Voice-Quests because with that you will get to know all the Story without reading through 20 or 50 Text Walls


    If you like to read Quests or not one thing is clear. at some point after reading 100 Quests you will stop reading everyhting
    uwu
  • edited December 2023
    AI voice acting is relatively cheap from a cost perspective. Lot's of developers are looking into this for various games. Just depends on accent, in-game race and dialect. The sound team can do lot's with it especially if the game will be region based with some language specifics. That said, dont need AI like chat-gpt, just voice acting for the predetermined dialogue options.
  • I'd rather have no voice acting at all than everything being low quality. Dont understand why people see voice acting like some accessibility to not reading the dialogue instead of ACTING. It is a luxury, as in something that is really nice to have when high quality - but is not a need to have in itself.

    AI slop just to enable people to be lazy? No thanks.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    Thokan wrote: »
    I'd rather have no voice acting at all than everything being low quality. Dont understand why people see voice acting like some accessibility to not reading the dialogue instead of ACTING. It is a luxury, as in something that is really nice to have when high quality - but is not a need to have in itself.

    AI slop just to enable people to be lazy? No thanks.

    First of all, the quality is starting to not be bad anymore.

    Secondly, accessibility has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the visually impaired and dyslexic people also playing these games, and giving them a leg up.

  • Nerror wrote: »
    Thokan wrote: »
    I'd rather have no voice acting at all than everything being low quality. Dont understand why people see voice acting like some accessibility to not reading the dialogue instead of ACTING. It is a luxury, as in something that is really nice to have when high quality - but is not a need to have in itself.

    AI slop just to enable people to be lazy? No thanks.

    First of all, the quality is starting to not be bad anymore.

    Secondly, accessibility has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the visually impaired and dyslexic people also playing these games, and giving them a hand up.

    Sure, but at the end of the day AI can only maybe mimic acting. For instance, knowing all VA is AI in a game would make me more prone to ignore the dialogue.

    If you are visually impaired the quest dialogue is the least of your worries. Still isn't realistic to AI voice act the non-crucial parts of the game for the sake of one minority group of people's accessibility. That's just an excuse.

    It's still a nice to have. Not a need to have in any way.
  • NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    Thokan wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    Thokan wrote: »
    I'd rather have no voice acting at all than everything being low quality. Dont understand why people see voice acting like some accessibility to not reading the dialogue instead of ACTING. It is a luxury, as in something that is really nice to have when high quality - but is not a need to have in itself.

    AI slop just to enable people to be lazy? No thanks.

    First of all, the quality is starting to not be bad anymore.

    Secondly, accessibility has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the visually impaired and dyslexic people also playing these games, and giving them a hand up.
    If you are visually impaired the quest dialogue is the least of your worries.
    It's still a nice to have. Not a need to have in any way.

    Tell that to the dyslexic people who give up reading text, but would love to have a button that simply reads the text to them with a good AI voice. The NPC doesn't have to come up with new dialogue everytime. At least that's not the point of the OP even if it was mentioned later on in the Asmongold video post.

    Around 10% of the world is dyslexic. That's 100,000 players who already bought the A2 access this would help. It's not a small, insignificant minority. That's more people than are colorblind, which Intrepid already have accessibility options for.

    As for visual impairment, it comes in many forms. It doesn't mean blindness. It can be cataracts, glaucoma, or macular degeneration, which can cause blurriness or distorted central vision etc. Not bad enough to not being able to play the game, but bad enough that text is harder to read even with increased font size.
  • or you know just use a screen reader for accessibility. no need for voice acting xD
  • All I want voicewise is no old lady voice from Margaret.

    Even tho Im very old and grew up reading lore and quests as text, I do see the need to progress in this area. And address the needs of those with reading issues. An option to pause to access some narration via your journal. Or that you can toggle NPCs to also read out their dialogue.
  • Nerror wrote: »
    Thokan wrote: »
    Nerror wrote: »
    Thokan wrote: »
    I'd rather have no voice acting at all than everything being low quality. Dont understand why people see voice acting like some accessibility to not reading the dialogue instead of ACTING. It is a luxury, as in something that is really nice to have when high quality - but is not a need to have in itself.

    AI slop just to enable people to be lazy? No thanks.

    First of all, the quality is starting to not be bad anymore.

    Secondly, accessibility has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with the visually impaired and dyslexic people also playing these games, and giving them a hand up.
    If you are visually impaired the quest dialogue is the least of your worries.
    It's still a nice to have. Not a need to have in any way.

    Tell that to the dyslexic people who give up reading text, but would love to have a button that simply reads the text to them with a good AI voice. The NPC doesn't have to come up with new dialogue everytime. At least that's not the point of the OP even if it was mentioned later on in the Asmongold video post.

    Around 10% of the world is dyslexic. That's 100,000 players who already bought the A2 access this would help. It's not a small, insignificant minority. That's more people than are colorblind, which Intrepid already have accessibility options for.

    As for visual impairment, it comes in many forms. It doesn't mean blindness. It can be cataracts, glaucoma, or macular degeneration, which can cause blurriness or distorted central vision etc. Not bad enough to not being able to play the game, but bad enough that text is harder to read even with increased font size.

    How many of that 10% cares? How many of those that care got such a severe dyslexia they "gave up reading"?

    Such an extreme shoehorning for something so optional for playing the game. Most people don't care about quest dialogue at all. Hell, the vocal minority wanting this AI mostly calls out for immersion, in a game with cupcake vendor skins for your freehold.

    A minority of people playing the game will bother to read. A minority of those that read will care about lore. A minority of those will suffer from visual impairment or dyslexia. A minority of those that suffer from some kind of reading disability will be unable to read at all.

    It's not about accessibility. You can fully enjoy and play the game without reading the quest dialogue.



Sign In or Register to comment.