Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Will there be achievements like in WoW?

I think ashes should track achievements, imagine displaying being world first 50. fingers crossed.

Comments

• Options
    I hope not. Imo such a rubbish invention
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    I love how from achievements you can unlock titles, in Guild Wars 2 I use the title Champion Genius which came from a PvP achievement.

Another day a guy recognized me because my title under my character's name while I was walking around somewhere else.He complimented me for my leadership and strategy when winning a very difficult match. It's not my highest achievement, but I like the sound of it
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Achivements should unlock coolness:
    • titles
    • dance moves
    • dyes
    • skins
    • furniture
    • crests
    • coat of arms
    • chat icons and colors
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    • titles
    • dance moves
    • dyes
    • skins
    • furniture
    • crests
    • coat of arms
    • chat icons and colors

big agree.
  • Options
    • titles
    • dance moves
    • dyes
    • skins
    • furniture
    • crests
    • coat of arms
    • chat icons and colors

Yeah, achievements should pretty much be for these (maybe not chat colors, that one feels a bit weird for an MMO and changing chat colors to suit your preferences seems like something that should just be in the settings). If it feels like it should be an achievement, it would be nice to have one. Like, if I killed a big, usually contested world boss with my guild, I think that's worthy of a cool piece of furniture. The thing I would want to avoid would probably be bloat with all the cool things. Having a good number of tough to complete achievements seems fine, but don't have like 100+ titles.
  • Options
    • titles
    • dance moves
    • dyes
    • skins
    • furniture
    • crests
    • coat of arms
    • chat icons and colors

10/10
  • Options
    Achievements are fun. OSRS's take on it "Collection Log" is also pretty cool. I don't even need any rewards from them, although I wouldn't mind titles and cosmetics, it's already cool to be able to see a character's progression in a journal view.

I enjoyed those features a lot when I played those games, good times.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • Options
    TetterianTetterian Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    To me, achievements are a necessary component for a game to be complete. I like to play as a completionist and know that I've completed every quest or gathered every unique item in that zone.
    As mentioned in earlier comments the hard-to-get titles, emotes, coat of arms, etc. are awesome to show off when you play together with friends or foes. All that brings even more immersion to the game.
    With AoC and its ever-changing zones, I get that it changes the settings for the above, however, I do think that we should be able to make some progression in each zone.

That could be by participating in x amount of different local raiding events or killing x amount of mini-bosses or perhaps even the achievements can change with the zones.
  • Options
    edited January 16
    I am still backing up what I said almost one year ago :#
  • Options
    • dance moves

Yes this is THR~IIILLER, THRILLER~NIGHT !!!

* dances around with my Skelebro's *
    😁
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    "Certain titles will unlock special abilities or stats during sieges and events.[3]"

Oh noes.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Garrtok wrote: »

Blasphemer!! Achievements are life.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ehrgeiz wrote: »
    "Certain titles will unlock special abilities or stats during sieges and events.[3]"

Oh noes.

It's not as bad as it sounds in this case. Steven is talking about the top ranked player in a religious organisation as an example, of which there can only be one at any given time, and they might get a title and special abilities. They can lose that top rank again to another player. It's not a permanent thing and it's very limited in scope.
  • Options

Oh noes.

Hallihallo hallöle da. 😁👍

Why Oh Noes, though ? I personally would grant it to the Mayor of a Node/City, or the Leader of a Guild, to possess something that marks them as the very People who are holding their respected Position.

Nerror wrote: »

Blasphemer!! Achievements are life.

Right ? By the Emperor, what Heresy is this ? lol

I bet, most People who are reluctant towards Achievements, had bad Experiences mainly with WoW.

When You join a ridiculous Game, which grows bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger - every few Years,
    and then You find out about the Achievements, realising you might as well "NEVER" be able to catch up to the People who farm them since the Beginning,

the mere Existence of these Achievements can be a permanent Downer on your Mood, in Case you actually care a little bit to a certain Extent.

I personally loved being a "FILTHY CASUAL" (lol) in WoW since dear, good ol' Vanilla.

I farm pretty much everything You can "solo" in this Game. From Open World Content, through Storylines /Questlines,

to old Dungeons and Raids i am now super-over-levelled in Comparison and so on : and that was it. There are a few TONS of Achievements i don't have,

and a few of them i would really like to have for personal Reasons like Titles, Mounts or Pets -> but i am completely fine with never having them -> as to try and get them, would be to much of a Pain in my behind.

Yes i admit it. It comes all down to what is more important. Enjoying a Game is more important, especially for a little bit lazy Person like me. If something is to much of a Pain and Struggle to get, it's not worth the Effort.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I think achievements can bring a lot of fun when it includes fun rewards for silly things - like the "armchair commander" in GW2 that rewards you with a nice chair.

But, it can also bring a lot of toxicity. "LFG Skullbasher Fun Instance - link Skullfun ach for invite." - doesnt matter if you've read up on the encounter and know all mechanics by heart; no achieve, no invite.

Now granted, this type of mentality can occur regardless of achievements, but yeah. .... I am not even sure why I feel such hostility towards this kind of stuff as I belong to the group of people that probably got said achieve with my Guild (and help friends and guildies get them) .... guess I am just tired of reading it in the chat spam xd

Anyway, I remain neutral to whenever AoC include achievements or not. But if they do - include fun rewards in them!
    lizhctbms6kg.png
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 17
    Nerror wrote: »

Oh noes.

It's not as bad as it sounds in this case. Steven is talking about the top ranked player in a religious organisation as an example, of which there can only be one at any given time, and they might get a title and special abilities. They can lose that top rank again to another player. It's not a permanent thing and it's very limited in scope.

Yeah, ESO already does this for the "Emperor" in a PvP instance and I haven't seen anyone complain about it being a thing in the game, and their passive abilities are pretty insane.

I don't think it will really be a big deal if a few people on a server have some small passive boosts or unique abilities for a week or two
  • Options
    VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited January 18
    If there are achievement i just hope they actualy are achievements not participation rewards :p like hit level 10

i will say i do like Titles based on PvP kills though :P
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited January 18
    Unholy Necro!
    Where is @Nagash?
  • Options

Achievements are basically a way to record your own progression... If it provides a reward thats just a bonus.

So rubbish not so much, its kinda needed in MMO's. It provides another kind of progression for your character.

Same would be for stats that don't really matter. For example running, swimming ect. Its not game breaking but stil provides another field of progression.
  • Options
    I am okay with achievements as long as I get to see stats. Don't want see how many times I died from gravity.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    VexXes wrote: »

Achievements are basically a way to record your own progression... If it provides a reward thats just a bonus.

So rubbish not so much, its kinda needed in MMO's. It provides another kind of progression for your character.

Same would be for stats that don't really matter. For example running, swimming ect. Its not game breaking but stil provides another field of progression.

Lol. Your progression is verified by winning the wars, sieges and epic raids.
    If you are tracking your progression by your achievements, you are an unknown, background extra and cannon fodder in owpvp mmos.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Dygz wrote: »
    Unholy Necro! Where is @Nagash?

and srsly @Dygz where IS Nagash?

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    VexXes wrote: »

Lol. Your progression is verified by winning the wars, sieges and epic raids.
    If you are tracking your progression by your achievements, you are an unknown, background extra and cannon fodder in owpvp mmos.

that's certainly one opinion to have on the subject
  • Options
    The arena ladder system records a player's progress within PvP seasons based on their arena win/loss ratios.[2][3]

Titles can be received from arena play.[4]

That’s on the Ashes Wiki
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    frlm46hrvzig.jpeg
    rvid9f6vp7vl.png
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »

Who knows

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    Nagash wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »

Who knows

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Holy Unholy Necro, Batman! He un-LIVES!! Good to see you, Nagash. ;)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You have been sorely missed @Nagash
    Glad to see you are well.
  • Options
    NagashNagash Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    oh I'm always around I just lurk these days
    nJ0vUSm.gif

The dead do not squabble as this land’s rulers do. The dead have no desires, petty jealousies or ambitions. A world of the dead is a world at peace