How much do we know about the mini map?

Officially not a lot:
https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Template:Mini_map

Hopefully we will see party members disapear from the mini map under certain circunstances, like under heavy fog, anywhere with very limited visibility, when they go into caves or to other areas.

By me, we would only be able to see people in the map if they are within a certain range and not inside something like a bunker. If the party is running in a labyrinth, why should the party know where everybody is? In other games we can see where everybody is at all times and we just rush to them using our mounts, people don't even have chat sometimes at all, there's public parties which people don't talk at all and they don't bond, it is pretty tasteless.

Let me share stuff from the hidden world of pvp, knowing where everybody is, including all guild members, is a resource which was used in the past to kill guild members by throwing alts at them. It was also used for spying quite a lot too, you just gotta add an alt in your enemye's guild.
PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.

Comments

• AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    This is a GW2 PvP thing, right?

I know that GW2 minimap can look like a MOBA one, where you can see 'basically the whole area' and 'know where everyone is'.

Generally the games I am familiar with offer much smaller mini-maps (FFXI doesn't have one at all functionally and all you get is 'radar', and BDO's is pretty small, I don't think there's much point in bringing up Elite in this case but there you also have to deal with radar-like Sensor range).

Lineage family games don't seem to have large ones either.

The Ashes one is slightly smaller than the BDO one and seems to be similar to the Lineage family.

lmk if your reason for asking this question is NOT because you haven't seen the Ashes Minimap in detail (I realized that it's not actually that easy to quickly find images or video of it).
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    • GW2: literally on the map
    • Black Desert Online: literally on the map with the option on
    • World of Warcraft: literally on the map, GuildMap2 addon
    • EVE Online: corporation window, zkillboard
    • Star Wars: The Old Republic: guild window
    • Elder Scrolls Online: guild window

It could have more games of course, maybe FFXIV has members location too but I didn't play it

My main reason for thinking about the mini map is remembering the past and recently have been in large raids with +100 people and with all those spots running around the map and mini map. It completely breaks the immersion knowing where everybody is.

I like mini map tools a lot:
    • adding pins
    • drawing
    • writing
    • sending pings
    • personal notes

First reason:
    But having all that much people running through the night in the swap and you know where everybody is because the mini map is full of dots it has a bad impact. I would rather have people getting lost and missing the object

I would have a horn or whistling or yelling, if you want to be seen you would have to use one of those, then you would pop in other people's mini map.The party leader could use this, anyone could

Second reason:
    PvP, spying, backstabbing, being able to go dark and do stuff, not giving away where your freehold is so people won't come to steal your stash if your node is destroyed
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ok I follow better now, and yeah, I remember what you mean about BDO.

Well, unfortunately all I can do is offer the usual 'blind praise for my own old preference'.

In order to know the location of your party members not close to you in FFXI you must open the main map and change to the mode that will show you their last location.

I don't know if you mean 'main map' or 'mini map' or what. So I just know that it was sometimes important to tell people your coordinates to make meeting up or navigating easier.

Ashes seems low on the Minimap thing, from what I remember I couldn't know the location of party members that way in Alpha-1, and meeting up required intentional coordination.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

edited April 2023
    Depending on the game its main map, mini map or both

I don't think players should control map options or have an all seeing eye in a PvP game, imagine there's a rival guild and somehow you can track where they are just by adding an alt in their guild. You can count how many of them are in that same spot, you can pretty much bring your main character with his buddies and go slaughter them... just bring more people

Knowing too much stuff from a map or from a window is game breaking where there's some serious PvP going on and there are assets at stake
    edited April 2023
    See? PvP is not just smashing buttons, there's an entire world of grand strategy in little things like this

If you know that there's 20 people in open sea, you can bring your fleet there and sunk their ships and steal their stuff... just because an alt in their guild knows their position, even when it is just a member's list with name/location/online
    edited April 2023
    About the guild window -> member's list:
    • Maybe people shouldn't even see where you are in the member's list and main map.
    • Maybe people should be able to hide their location
    • Maybe the guild leader should be able to hide all member's location

When there's PvP and assets are on the line, spying becomes pvp