Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Assassinations

as the title suggests is there any info about the extent of assassinations? the kind that you sneak into a city or certain freehold to assassinate a certain someone for the benefit of someone else? like if they were a person of power, killing a major guild captain b4 a war, ect... couldn't find any real info about this

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    They'd just respawn though? But if you're talking about repetitive killing, players can always just make a verbal contract for that kind of thing. Don't think we've had any info about game-based systems that support this. Probably because this could lead to some abuse.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There were plans to implement player driven and player received quests but it was kiboshed 3 or 4 years ago in a livestream.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited April 2023
    Cross server assassination quest would go hard. Multiverse of ashes of creation.
  • Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited April 2023
    Mayors, council members, guild leaders and alliance leaders would be fun to kill

The effect should be not being able to run policies, or the policies should be delayed for some hours. or the polcies effetcs halved

It should have counters to shield the person or disguise the person after a sucessful assassination, otherwise people would pile up dozens of assassinatios on the target

Or it is the person who does stuff and this opens the quest to kill this person, it's a "mea culpa" thing
    Mea culpa is a phrase originating from Latin that means "my fault" or "my mistake" and is an acknowledgement of having done wrong. The expression is used also as an admission of having made a mistake that should have been avoided, and may be accompanied by beating the breast as in its use in a religious context.

I would love to fight dozens of assassins a day in a game tough, no problem with that, send moar, it's just content
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I think they need to revisit this idea and having a scoring system based on peoples importance that leads them open to assassination.

Risk vs Reward, love it or hate it.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Solvryn wrote: »
    I think they need to revisit this idea and having a scoring system based on peoples importance that leads them open to assassination.

Hear me out... what if your own actions open the opportunity for others?
    Let's say you are a guild leader, then you start a guild war, that could open a quest to assassinate you

This is a very fair approach and thrilling
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Solvryn wrote: »

Hear me out... what if your own actions open the opportunity for others?
    Let's say you are a guild leader, then you start a guild war, that could open a quest to assassinate you

This is a very fair approach and thrilling

That's another way to do it.

I'm pro-assassination, it just needs to be implemented well.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I found a good one, found in my head :p

If the vassal node has surplus xp and can't advance just because it is a vassal node, then the vassal node may open a quest to assassinate the node right above in the vassal chain.

Here are the rules:
    1. vassal level 3 has enough XP to advance to level 4
    2. node level 4 has only a small amount of XP, just enough to prevent it from being de-leveled
    3. node level 3 kills the mayor and the council just to disrupt their operations, the goal is causing so much trouble that node level 3 will fail in farming enough XP and will be de-leveled

Such situation, should open a quest to kill the mayor and his council from the level 4 node... they aren't pulling their own weight so they have to die and their node has to de-level and open the way for the hard working people of the node level 3

This is a way of a vassal getting it's own freedom through such intrigue
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I found a good one, found in my head :p

If the vassal node has surplus xp and can't advance just because it is a vassal node, then the vassal node may open a quest to assassinate the node right above in the vassal chain.

Here are the rules:
    1. vassal level 3 has enough XP to advance to level 4
    2. node level 4 has only a small amount of XP, just enough to prevent it from being de-leveled
    3. node level 3 kills the mayor and the council just to disrupt their operations, the goal is causing so much trouble that node level 3 will fail in farming enough XP and will be de-leveled

Such situation, should open a quest to kill the mayor and his council from the level 4 node... they aren't pulling their own weight so they have to die and their node has to de-level and open the way for the hard working people of the node level 3

This is a way of a vassal getting it's own freedom through such intrigue

We will see.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    If assassination quests are linked to community-related conditions and statuses, then the assassinations can be acceptable within the AoC vision, as there may be specific windows of opportunity to do such things related to nodes and guilds

The effects of such actions should fall on the community, by stalling policies, making node gold be destroyed, etc
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    I promise I will make this very spicy.

Here are four assassination scenarios that are accessible through quests, but made available through the actions of the target. Becoming a target is the result of one's choices as a community leader in the game, and it is a consequence that people bring upon themselves. Being a leader wouldn't be just pristige and flying mounts, but also a cross to carry. Depending on how the player chooses to act, they may find themselves facing assassination attempts. These assassination quests should target mayors and council members, guild and alliance leaders.

Regardless of the scenario, a kill will only be considered an assassination if it meets specific criteria. These criteria include the existence of an active quest, the target being flagged as green or located inside the node, and the target being online for a minimum amount of time while outside of their homes or freeholds. If the target is flagged as purple or red, the kill will be considered a regular combat kill and will not count as an assassination. Leadership hours will not be counted if the target does not come online or if he remains in a secure location, such as a house or freehold. Choosing to avoid potential danger and remaining in hiding will have consequences for those in leadership positions, if targets want to hide, they have to go to a discreet place in the open world or have player bodyguards or run purple flag the entire time.

Maybe attackers could have the option to assassinate too, but with minor changes.
    Node wars:
    When a node declares war, this event will open a quest available for the denfeders to assassinate the attacker's mayor and council members. There are two types of assassination quests: assassination for points, or assassination to reduce the duration of the war. The assassination should happen while they are flagged as green which will avoid corruption or happen inside any node. The targets must also be active for a minimum number of hours, these hours will only be counted if they are outside of their homes or freeholds. So the assassination targets have to be in the open world or walking on the streets of any node. This means that targets must be out in the open world, walking the streets of any node. Failure to do so will penalize the attackers as lack of leadership, the penalty should be more severe than if the defenders succeed in the assassination.
    Guild wars:
    Similar to the node wars concept, this idea focuses on targeting guild leaders.
    Alliance wars:
    Similar to the node wars concept, this idea focuses on targeting all alliance and all guild leaders of the attacker's alliance.
    Vassal sabotage:
    In cases where a vassal node has accumulated excess XP but cannot advance due to its vassal status, a quest may be initiated to assassinate the node directly above it in the vassal chain.

The following rules apply: if a vassal level 3 node has enough XP to progress to level 4, but the level 4 node only has a small amount of XP, just enough to prevent it from being de-leveled, then the vassal level 3 node may kill the mayor and council of the level 4 node in order to disrupt their operations. The goal is to create enough chaos and trouble that the vassal level 3 node will not be able to farm enough XP and will consequently be de-leveled. Various assassination quests could be made available for different purposes, such as rendering a policy ineffective, delaying policies activation for a significant period of time of new policies, or debuffing all policies.

In such situations, a quest may be initiated to kill the mayor and council of the level 4 node. They are not contributing enough, and therefore must be eliminated, leading to the de-leveling of their node, and opening the way for the hardworking people of the vassal level 3 node to achieve their own freedom through such intrigue.

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The game does not need to program such quests, players are quite able to do it on their own.

Just post a notice in the area Taverns: "I will pay 2000 gold to whoever kills the mayor of TootsieRollTown. His name is MrPajamas. Send me a dated screenshot with you standing over the body. ~DrEvilToes~"
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    The game does not need to program such quests, players are quite able to do it on their own.

Just post a notice in the area Taverns: "I will pay 2000 gold to whoever kills the mayor of TootsieRollTown. His name is MrPajamas. Send me a dated screenshot with you standing over the body. ~DrEvilToes~"

Not really, there is a corruption in place and killing the target brings no community benefis. Also, stomping a particular player and cornering him is not really AoC vision

AoC vision is this community driven events and sharing the risks together in a meaningful way
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2023
    I'm not keen on any system like this.

The more cause and effect systems a game has, the more "on rails" it will feel to play.

For example, if declaring a guild war opened up a quest to assassinate the leader of the declaring guild, which then gave the other guild some sort of bonus, there are exactly two ways this would play out. The first is that idea that the guild you are declaring war on is just going to get this bonus would very quickly just become a part of the decision to declare war. The second is that an alt would take over guild leadership, do the declaration and then log out for the duration of said war. There isn't really a third thing that will commonly happen.

Neither is adding anything to the game other than placing players on rails. It is basically just taking decisions away from players.

The game would be worse off. Almost any cause and effect system like this would make the game worse rather than better - and that includes a number of systems that Intrepid have in mind.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Ah. Rails. You know I hate Rails. I accepted the retraction in 2017/18 and haven't really missed the facet.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »
    Just post a notice in the area Taverns

And while you're here, stay and buy a drink, or watch a few dancers!
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/