Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Safety in the node

List of questions ok, I will say city instead of node because it makes easier for me, since when I say city I am specifically asking about the inner area of the node, I am excluding the influence zone in this case.

1. Since the sea is an automatic purple area what kind of area the city, is it an automatic green?

2. Can the city have purple people and so purple on purple fights?

3. If there is purple inside the city, can purple attack green?

4. What happens if there is a guild war and enemies meet each other inside the city and both are green and what happens if both green outside the city? Will fights happen without the need of setting to purple? I think it should happen as green, since I want to fight my enemy and not aggro random purple players to my fight

5. Can a red player walk into the city and attack people, I saw that there will be NPC guards, will the NPC guards insta kill players or they will offer long fights? Will these guards run around or magically insta kill people, like a miracle.

6. Can people kill NPC guards?

7. Can mobs kill NPC guards?

8. Can people pull a train of mobs and bring into the city? I hope so, in WoW this is a blast

Sorry the questions about the small details, but the small details were not found in the wiki.
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Yes, pvp can happen in the city. Everything related to pvp applies. We don't have any real info about the guards. Doubt we'll get a mob train into the city, but we'll have mob events that will attack it on their own.

I think that covers all the questions.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    In guild wars both adversarial guilds are set to purple against eachother automatically so in the centre of a city you can just attack eachother. ysdsej6enaij.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    8. Can people pull a train of mobs and bring into the city? I hope so, in WoW this is a blast

also thought of as griefing.... so no thank you to snot-nosed kids that get their kicks from this behavior...

• Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited April 2023
    1. People are "automatically green" by default cept on the open sea and certain pvp based areas on land. Node settlements are not considered pvp zones atm.
    2. Yes, you can flag on others inside a city. Whether they fight back is up to them. Killing them would corrupt you, see later answer on guard response.
    3. Yes
    4. Node citizenship trumps other affiliations. More info on flagging states in a guild war is needed and if certain areas will be considered safe. Latest info points to no. If you are flagged purple towards a specific guild for a war, most likely you will always be purple (to opposing guild or node) during the duration of the conflict.
    5. NPC guards will kill corrupted players on sight.[2] Wiki
    6. Probably but extremely difficult solo. They will be considered "elite" mobs during sieges, but not unkillable. We have yet to see them inside a node settlement in action, but you can bet they won't be a pushover.
    7. Probably not except in the case of monster coin or other node attack events.
    8. Mobs are meant to have leash ranges. Shenanigans from earlier mmos where people spent time and effort dragging world bosses to grief towns and kill underlevel or afk players most likely would be unintended and corrected quickly.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think being within the city walls should be a safe haven, or at the very minimum a safe haven for those that reside there.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    It doesn't make sense to have a safe haven inside walls. Walls won't exist at first and I feel a camp would be a cutthroat domain. It would be different if we had metros prebuilt.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I don't think the op was looking for safety at all, those questions are very into details, almost technical

It is a bit concerning to me that people don't know the answers, it is 2023 already, those things are really important in the everyday gameplay
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    The best context source I could find was the Wiki topic "Safe Zones"

Generally speaking:
    Since Steven dared to basically put a timer counter on Alpha 2 along these lines "No, Alpha 2 is not years away." (so less than 24 months) and we know that Alpha 2 will test the Node structure, I think it is reasonable to assume that we will get a livestream on Nodes somewhere towards the end of the year or early 2024 - basically by the time the initial tests for A2 are supposed start at Intrepid [for the most up to date information we have on Alpha 2 see the recent Q&A Livestream].

On the topic:
    Going with the overall design philosophy of risk-reward and the faction based PvP, there is reason to argue that cities aren't safe zones. One thing I have noticed is that the matter of in-node PvP has never been mentioned. This to me means that it is a matter not publicly addressed so far, not being considered until now or that it means that Nodes aren't considered special in that regard - meaning the general rules of faction based PvP apply. Going further - since factions are a primary factor by which we choose who to give a beating, there is basically no reason for us to assume that guards wouldn't act by these same rules.

Let me quickly explain the consequences - if my assumption is correct: Killing someone in PvP will be possible in Nodes but as in all other cases it will decrease your reputation with all the factions that player is associated with [here a list of affiliations a player can have]. If the reputation with a Node falls far enough all NPCs and players associated with that Node through citizenship will be hostile towards you, meaning you are always flagged for PvP for each other

I could imagine that a mayor might be able to establish policies that order guards to break off fights and maybe kick participants of a brawl out of the city - basically lowering their health to something like 10% and then literally drag them out of the city walls. This is a mechanic that we already know to exist, where mobs can take injured players hostage, so it is not something that Intrepid has to invent specifically for "city brawls" [source: The Goblin Slaver - "[...] these slavers have a particular type of interaction mechanic, where instead of killing the player, they can subdue the player drag them to a cage [...]"].

As for corrupt players, they cannot use many of the cities amenities anyways and they can be attacked by anyone at any time so walking into a city might be so much of a risk that they won't ever take it.

Conclusion
    I think the answer as often times is: We don't know in particular, but it will probably end up being up to us to decide to a certain degree.

The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Yes, pvp can happen in the city. Everything related to pvp applies. We don't have any real info about the guards. Doubt we'll get a mob train into the city, but we'll have mob events that will attack it on their own.

I think that covers all the questions.

how the pvp unfolds is the typf of learning i am aiming for, so i can know how to pull myself in and out of it when i think it is the appropriate time for it
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Natasha wrote: »
    In guild wars both adversarial guilds are set to purple against eachother automatically so in the centre of a city you can just attack eachother. ysdsej6enaij.jpg

i don't think this will happen because if you are set to purple then random people can attack you, maybe intrepid will let greens at war attack each other freely with the green flag

that's a cute imagine! :)
  • Options
    Caww wrote: »

also thought of as griefing.... so no thank you to snot-nosed kids that get their kicks from this behavior...

i don't think perfectly balanced games, with perfectly predictable outcomes, perfectly regulated areas are fun
    i did not like phantasy star online at all, it was just grinds and no freedom

a bit of insanity is important in a game, people gotta loosen up a bit sometimes
  • Options
    1. People are "automatically green" by default cept on the open sea and certain pvp based areas on land. Node settlements are not considered pvp zones atm.
    2. Yes, you can flag on others inside a city. Whether they fight back is up to them. Killing them would corrupt you, see later answer on guard response.
    3. Yes
    4. Node citizenship trumps other affiliations. More info on flagging states in a guild war is needed and if certain areas will be considered safe. Latest info points to no. If you are flagged purple towards a specific guild for a war, most likely you will always be purple (to opposing guild or node) during the duration of the conflict.
    5. NPC guards will kill corrupted players on sight.[2] Wiki
    6. Probably but extremely difficult solo. They will be considered "elite" mobs during sieges, but not unkillable. We have yet to see them inside a node settlement in action, but you can bet they won't be a pushover.
    7. Probably not except in the case of monster coin or other node attack events.
    8. Mobs are meant to have leash ranges. Shenanigans from earlier mmos where people spent time and effort dragging world bosses to grief towns and kill underlevel or afk players most likely would be unintended and corrected quickly.

that's the kind of answer i was hoping for, thanks
  • Options
    akabear wrote: »
    I think being within the city walls should be a safe haven, or at the very minimum a safe haven for those that reside there.

i hope not, i think the cities should keep everything the open world pvp has, but make the area an automatic green area if you enter the city while not being in combat

if a player is not in combat and walk into the city, i think he shoud be set to green automatically, letting people go back to purple with they wish to

people at war should be able to fight as greens anywhere they go
  • Options
    Neurath wrote: »
    It doesn't make sense to have a safe haven inside walls. Walls won't exist at first and I feel a camp would be a cutthroat domain. It would be different if we had metros prebuilt.

people shouldn't be safe, maybe i picked the wrong word for the thread subject
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    I don't think the op was looking for safety at all, those questions are very into details, almost technical

It is a bit concerning to me that people don't know the answers, it is 2023 already, those things are really important in the everyday gameplay

yes, i think the small details about the systems when concerning to the rules should be in the wiki, i was trying to put together in my head how i will survive, but i didn't find the rules explained in the wiki
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    i don't think this will happen because if you are set to purple then random people can attack you, maybe intrepid will let greens at war attack each other freely with the green flag
    That's why Natasha said "against each other". We also don't know if they'll go purple once they do attack their war enemies. I assume they will, because this is just yet another part of the L2 system they copied.

And yes, others will be able to hit you, but that's the risk you take when you flag up.
  • Options
    Kilion wrote: »
    The best context source I could find was the Wiki topic "Safe Zones"

Generally speaking:
    Since Steven dared to basically put a timer counter on Alpha 2 along these lines "No, Alpha 2 is not years away." (so less than 24 months) and we know that Alpha 2 will test the Node structure, I think it is reasonable to assume that we will get a livestream on Nodes somewhere towards the end of the year or early 2024 - basically by the time the initial tests for A2 are supposed start at Intrepid [for the most up to date information we have on Alpha 2 see the recent Q&A Livestream].

On the topic:
    Going with the overall design philosophy of risk-reward and the faction based PvP, there is reason to argue that cities aren't safe zones. One thing I have noticed is that the matter of in-node PvP has never been mentioned. This to me means that it is a matter not publicly addressed so far, not being considered until now or that it means that Nodes aren't considered special in that regard - meaning the general rules of faction based PvP apply. Going further - since factions are a primary factor by which we choose who to give a beating, there is basically no reason for us to assume that guards wouldn't act by these same rules.

Let me quickly explain the consequences - if my assumption is correct: Killing someone in PvP will be possible in Nodes but as in all other cases it will decrease your reputation with all the factions that player is associated with [here a list of affiliations a player can have]. If the reputation with a Node falls far enough all NPCs and players associated with that Node through citizenship will be hostile towards you, meaning you are always flagged for PvP for each other

I could imagine that a mayor might be able to establish policies that order guards to break off fights and maybe kick participants of a brawl out of the city - basically lowering their health to something like 10% and then literally drag them out of the city walls. This is a mechanic that we already know to exist, where mobs can take injured players hostage, so it is not something that Intrepid has to invent specifically for "city brawls" [source: The Goblin Slaver - "[...] these slavers have a particular type of interaction mechanic, where instead of killing the player, they can subdue the player drag them to a cage [...]"].

As for corrupt players, they cannot use many of the cities amenities anyways and they can be attacked by anyone at any time so walking into a city might be so much of a risk that they won't ever take it.

Conclusion
    I think the answer as often times is: We don't know in particular, but it will probably end up being up to us to decide to a certain degree.

Yes, i wasn't really looking for total safety, i was looking for the rules so i won't be ambushed and die like a noob
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Were someone to start PvP in a city - particularly against a known citizen of that city - we could expect these outcomes:

1) Defender might win, no problem
    2) The other citizens jump to the aid of the attacked citizen and kill the attacker, no problem
    3) The attacker wins
    4) The attacked citizen/player does not fight back, attacker stops attacking
    5) The attacked citizen/player does not fight back, attacker kills defender and goes red. Which leads to either:
    5a) Other people in town see the red and kill him, and he drops stuff, or
    5b) Red is now trapped in town and cannot leave because guards at gates will kill him. If guards kill him, he drops stuff and next person who wanders by gets it. If he stays away from guards, see 5a.

So, I will suggest that attacking someone in town will almost always result in a bad outcome for the attacker.
  • Options
    if you kill an afk player in the city you get corruption and prob an instant death afterwards
    the beginning of wisdom is to know you know nothing
  • Options
    There won't be many afk activities in Ashes so I don't believe stumbling on afk players to kill will be all too common.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Yes, i wasn't really looking for total safety, i was looking for the rules so i won't be ambushed and die like a noob

I guess that is the thing about Ashes: Dying in a way that a player might consider unsavory is not only reserved for noobs :D
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited April 2023
    You're 'safe' (the maximum discouragement is applied) as long as you don't upset a group larger than 2.

But if most of a node wants you out, you have to be careful, because they will just gang up, gank you, and one of them will take the deaths required.

However since it will take much longer to work off Corruption than the game this is 'based on', you probably don't have to worry about people having Red Alts 'just for' City Murder, because unlike 'Red Alts' out in the world that would have only Bounty Hunters and random strong people to worry about, this type of character loses the ability to 'do their part' in City Murder until they clear their corruption properly each time.

It's much more likely for a bunch of players to have 'City Guard' alts than 'Back Alley Assassin' alts.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options

people shouldn't be safe, maybe i picked the wrong word for the thread subject

Yeah. I was replying to the thread points by others and the thread title. People will learn how to be secure but safety is a false dichotomy.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    For #1 are you asking if there are actual safe areas where attacks are turned off, or where guards would insta-gib you if you break the peace? If not, I'm curious about that anyway. It could be thematic. IE, you can't attack inside a class training area or church (Holy ground Highlander! Remember what Ramirez taught you...). Or mage-guards detonate you if you attack people at the auction house.

#4) IMO once you are fighting someone you should be purple to everyone. This will encourage people to keep it in their pants when in town (or not, and deal with third-man-in situations), since this is a town/city where the gov't probably doesn't want you fighting in the shops.
  • Options
    There won't be many afk activities in Ashes so I don't believe stumbling on afk players to kill will be all too common.

There are always people who just leave their character stood there while they go make a sandwich, have their 'bio break', get jiggy, etc. Others leave their character logged in just so that they don't have to wait in a login queue next time they want to play.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Yeah, I understand the dynamics but the devs used to say there will be anti afk systems.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    I hope so, but hopefully not too strict. We need to be able to go make a sandwich. I like a good sandwich.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    getting more coffee for the morning players amongst us...
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Can`t really see how allowing pvp within city walls would work.

Someone within the city walls could be highly vulnerable as may be any or all of below
    • Wearing Town gear (for crafting or the like)
    • Not in full armor
    • Not in party
    • Not buffed
    • In chat mode
    • In tavern game mode

If pvp is permissible, then activity in town would need to be on just as much alter as out in the environment.
    Surely that would then be a further diminishing enjoyment for those that pve only?

• Options
    OkeydokeOkeydoke Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Can`t really see how allowing pvp within city walls would work.

It'll probably work similar to how it worked in other games. Vanilla Wow, Mortal Online, UO, probably other games that allowed pvp in cities. But it will have an Ashes twist to it and be even rarer due to the corruption system. A high risk affair for the attackers. It's generally not a big deal. It creates epic stories, drama, dynamic moments that break monotony. Things that used to be celebrated in gaming. And should be still.

That's if this feature even survives to launch.
    Surely that would then be a further diminishing enjoyment for those that pve only?

oof