Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

mage looks terrible -_- ill just leave this here, discuss

ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
idk after 7 years i think it looks pretty bad, wow classic looks more fast paced than this, aoe sleep?? ugh idk the hype for me is dying super fast, i understand the comments on twitch are mostly positive but tbh i feel like its because we dont get many updates so everything the first time you see it looks '' okay'' but after watching the vid 3-4 times it looks like a game made in 2005 with boring combat, the mage could be so much more ... please discuss, no hate

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    And as a counter point, I don't want zoomer BDO speeds of everyone just fucking dashing around at the speed of sound across my screen during anything over 5x5 pvp.

Slow mages = great mass pvp. And that is why I loved this showcase.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    NiKr wrote: »
    And as a counter point, I don't want zoomer BDO speeds of everyone just fucking dashing around at the speed of sound across my screen during anything over 5x5 pvp.

then you must hate the rest of the combat because the fighter looks like he is playing with ultra instinct at the speed they swing 2h swords
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

also mate the mage can be slow and good, but as it is now for a mage its just a super big missed opportunity, there are so many cool things they could do with a mage, but as it looks atm idk
  • Mage looks fine, you have mobility and not stuck every second or have a choice to hold some skills for more dmg at the cost of mobility. You also have zone control to counter the speed of some other classes.

Pretty great for a lvl 15 mage, and I'm sure you will have a bit more mobility later on. Having too much on mage would be broken and shouldn't be a thing. So I'm confident they will have the right balance, and seems to be the direction.

People need to stop looking at this game classes in preview when they are lvl 15 and comparing it to end game mmorpg characters. (in fact I'm sure some of those skills you have won't even be available at lvl 15 it is just for showcase.)
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Chicago wrote: »
    then you must hate the rest of the combat because the fighter looks like he is playing with ultra instinct at the speed they swing 2h swords
    If there's 2-3 out of 8 archetypes that do that - that's fine, because Intrepid can use that for balance and a fighter moving faster than a mage makes sense to me. So I'm fine with that rn. If anything, the current mage speed makes me more hopeful, because they're fine with having slower archetypes.
    also mate the mage can be slow and good, but as it is now for a mage its just a super big missed opportunity, there are so many cool things they could do with a mage, but as it looks atm idk
    Could you extrapolate on your points? How could it be better? What could Intrepid do to make it better?

Complaint-like feedback is great and all, but we should do better. Especially considering how well Intrepid applies our feedback (as showed in this stream).

I've played with waaay faster mages and liked those too, but I also like the current direction because to me it fits Ashes better and has a higher potential for better combat balance, because I'm so fucking tired of mages being OP in every god damn fucking game.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    idk after 7 years i think it looks pretty bad, wow classic looks more fast paced than this, aoe sleep?? ugh idk the hype for me is dying super fast, i understand the comments on twitch are mostly positive but tbh i feel like its because we dont get many updates so everything the first time you see it looks '' okay'' but after watching the vid 3-4 times it looks like a game made in 2005 with boring combat, the mage could be so much more ... please discuss, no hate

I would like to discuss this, but your concerns are a bit too generic (even through the rest of the thread so far).

As far as I'm concerned you're just wrong. Looking forward to this mage, and ofc, to 'understanding what your actual concerns are'. More specifically, the 'place you're coming from'. Like, what's the basis here? What are you contrasting to that is preferable?
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I liked the mage update very much. The complexities, though we just saw hints of them, are delightful. The abilities to benefit from different types of weapons in different circumstances is also good, as well as the ability to switch weapons in combat.

Thumbs up.
  • So for me it looked really really good you have to understand that they just show some Spell Combinations of a LOW/Mid LEVEL Character he didnt even use all the Spells in his Bars.
    The Spells are really good looking and some of them are really inventive.
    The System with the Stacking debuffs that can be put onto the Enemy from any Group Member is really smart.

Iam really hyped after the show case and i want to play Mage after seeing that.
    uwu
  • MybroViajeroMybroViajero Member
    edited April 2023
    ALPHA Development
    Things to improve progressively (like the map and UI that was shown in this update)

bye
    EDym4eg.png
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've played with waaay faster mages and liked those too, but I also like the current direction because to me it fits Ashes better and has a higher potential for better combat balance, because I'm so fucking tired of mages being OP in every god damn fucking game.

Also this. Mages will always be the pain point. They're almost always the first class that has to be scaled back or balanced because in order to make them 'feel good' to the solo player, they become overpowered in any group because the group's whole job is to remove the Mage's weakness.

If you remove their weakness before they get into group so they 'feel better to play', they're head-splitting annoyances even when grouped with each other.

From my perspective, this balance base is good, I only had one concern about Blink which went into the feedback thread. This is a game where Mages can gear into heavier armor if they want, and if they want to stay true to that, to the point where you can actually feel like you're not just playing suboptimally, there would be a lot of work to do. At the bare minimum, they need to be slow because the 'lack of speed when challenged' is basically the only thing that stops them.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Loved the mage showcase. Not gonna bother judging how it feels until its in my hands
  • FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    So your concern is time to kill?

If you watch the twitch video at the 1:50:00 mark when the class is actually being played rather than each spell being shown off the pace is pretty good for a single player.

My general opinion is mmorpgs need to back off on the speed of leveling and let players experience the journey. Reducing the TTK slightly would help this.

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing a mage wield not traditional weapons.

Also, bring back the age of CC.
  • I don't like playing as a mage, but I liked the preview. It made a mage look pretty fun to me.
    I think you're pacing concerns are slightly misplaced as we only saw it certain aspects of a mage. They did say and show multiple times that this was just a certain build path for the mage. The mage that they showed was your flashy, big magic, AOE nuke, but not all mages have to play that way. for example a mage/fighter using dual daggers and all fire and lightning spells could be more of the pace that you're looking for.

I think what they showed looked amazing if you think of it's potential. Makes me wonder what other elemental interactions there will be... Like that get something frozen then shock it effect.

(Although to be a nerd for a second...scientifically I think getting really cold and then fire to give a rapid temp change would make more sense, and then you could have interactions between Earth and lightning. If you keep adding grounding stacks through Earth spells the next lightning spells to hit a target are amplified... But I'm probably overthinking it)
  • Changeme2636545Changeme2636545 Member, Settler
    eh ? Mage looked good to me. Also why did you take the name of my city as your forum name ? Stinky onions...
    Longbeard Thane of The Dünir Hold Mithril Warhammers
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I saw a class, I saw art.

I didn’t see combat at all, again.

I have yet to see combat.
  • Mag7spy wrote: »
    Mage looks fine, you have mobility and not stuck every second or have a choice to hold some skills for more dmg at the cost of mobility. You also have zone control to counter the speed of some other classes.

Pretty great for a lvl 15 mage, and I'm sure you will have a bit more mobility later on. Having too much on mage would be broken and shouldn't be a thing. So I'm confident they will have the right balance, and seems to be the direction.

People need to stop looking at this game classes in preview when they are lvl 15 and comparing it to end game mmorpg characters. (in fact I'm sure some of those skills you have won't even be available at lvl 15 it is just for showcase.)

this ^
    ykwk7qwgw5os.jpg
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited April 2023
    BDO is a different game with different pokets and different goals. Personally I did not like bdos combat feel or looks. It did not fit an mmo.

The mage looks like it will satisfy mage players and also people that want to try unique builds. They hit the spot when it comes to the class identity.

The combat speed of AoC will bring all classes to the same rythm by launch, dont worry too much about it.

When I saw the shell icon I told my self "not eso all over again with these damn mages..." but then I noticed the cooldowns and I felt relief. They are on the right path with their combat design.
  • LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    name any level 15 to level 20 Mage in a MMORPG that looks better

its looking amazing, absolutely nothing to complain about
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • This mage can do more than a bdo mage at lvl 15.
  • Solvryn wrote: »

I think I might agree with you, but I'm not entirely certain. Can you elaborate? I'm interested to see what you mean by that in more detail.
    Sengarden wrote: »
    Solvryn wrote: »

I think I might agree with you, but I'm not entirely certain. Can you elaborate? I'm interested to see what you mean by that in more detail.

So when I mean tactics, I mean the application of the abilities. Right now, there is very effort in applying any of those abilities, they're going to mostly go to a dice roll.

It's indicative that the combat isn't going to have a high skill ceiling and that your typical GW2 and ESO zerglords are going to run roughshod over others, there won't be competing against ability synchronization.

When you look at design choices like completely nulling LOS as a legitimate tactic, such as lightning that runs around a rock. That idea should have been thrown into the bin before it ever hit the table. Because it nulls tactics and strategy to an absolutely abysmal level.

And when the devs themselves have said they get angry when someone los' them, that REALLY doesnt inspire any confidence.
  • TalentsTalents Member, Intrepid Pack
    Yes, very enthralling gameplay. Level 14 Mage in Classic WoW. Very entertaining watching it. https://youtu.be/ZZ1riDTALCc?t=2323
    nI17Ea4.png
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member
    edited April 2023
    Looks good to me seems more strategic gameplay than zooming around mashing buttons, cast speed could be a little quicker at times however there could be a spell haste kinda stat on armor/talents that affects cast speed which would fix this
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack

So when I mean tactics, I mean the application of the abilities. Right now, there is very effort in applying any of those abilities, they're going to mostly go to a dice roll.
    I totally agree with you here in that we havent seen "combat" as yet.

Perhaps the main difference is that I have no expectation to see any of this until a month or two before launch.

Before you get "combat" in the way you are talking, you need to have all the classes built, all the content built, all the gear built, all the augments built. There is no real point on dealing with the finer details until all the larger chunks are in place.

We will see fully augmented classes before we see the kind of combat you are wanting here.
    Noaani wrote: »

I totally agree with you here in that we havent seen "combat" as yet.

Perhaps the main difference is that I have no expectation to see any of this until a month or two before launch.

Before you get "combat" in the way you are talking, you need to have all the classes built, all the content built, all the gear built, all the augments built. There is no real point on dealing with the finer details until all the larger chunks are in place.

We will see fully augmented classes before we see the kind of combat you are wanting here.

Yep, we have mostly seen flash and art. No substance like you and I want.

• ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    edited April 2023
    I actually disagree, this is actually the first showcase that I really enjoyed, if anything, it highlights a problem with melee being a bit too flashy.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• ZlovousZlovous Member
    edited April 2023
    I like the mage so far. They need polish but that is the case for all the classes I guess.
  • HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I'm loving the mage shown so far. I love it's stacks I love the synergy I'm loving the aoe abilities and CC... it's just poggers.

Stay madge mage haters and let's hope intrepid keep rolling the way they're going.

ytkg41780ibw.jpg
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • DizzDizz Member
    edited April 2023
    I like mage Intrepid showed so far, like the long bow basic attack that mage is able to charge spell and release it whenever you want with good amount mobility while casting/charging(consider it's a start line I feel the agency is very good), and good synergy between frost and lightning spells make a good amount depth as a foundation.

One thing I feel not in my strike zone is frost spells are more like snow then ice to me and a little bit cartoon-ish(I think it's because of the color), maybe it's the effect they expected I don't know, but it still good.
    A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Mage = The Avatar, Earth, fire, water and air (lightning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRopqDexOvY&ab_channel=DanChaotic1