Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Open Letter to Steven Sharif the Ashes Paradox

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Kilion wrote: »
    KingManny wrote: »
    Dear Steven Sharif,

I am writing to you about the current state of Ashes of Creation, and the growing concern among your supporters regarding the direction of the game's development. Specifically, I want to address the "Ashes Paradox" that has emerged recently, and how it is affecting the community.[...]

If this is a letter from "the community" why did you not get any of those other concerned people to sign your letter? This is exactly the same issue we had with the last open letter. Someone claiming to speak for "the community" and didn't bother to mention those people at some point? Cmon.

I think he is from the pantheon community
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    Pantheon has been running pre-alpha testing sessions regularly now. The next is 5/13-5/14. But I guess they had a two year head start.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Pantheon looked too slow to my tastes back in the day. Haven't kept up with Pantheon for that reason.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    Pantheon looked too slow to my tastes back in the day. Haven't kept up with Pantheon for that reason.

I'm not kidding when i say my head would start dipping and id pass out playing that game.
  • Options
    We want a quality product. Testing is for specific purposes. If there is little to test then why open up the test realms/servers? Would you not rather actually have more classes, dungeons, etc to actually test? Would you not rather actually be able to log on and do things that differed from the alpha 1 testing?

This game could release in 4 years and every one of you are still going to play it. Intrepid needs to stay on task and work towards their internal goals for the creation of their product. Plenty of other games are offering new expansions or new mmo's are coming out to fill your time as you await ashes.

This argument is like wanting to test drive a vehicle where they are still working on the a/c, electric windows, etc. We get you are excited for the product but if it is not ready yet for testing specific things then it is all for not. You need specific things to test and account for to make any form of testing valuable. What are we to test? What problem is intrepid looking to solve with said testing? There needs to be a purpose to it and not just... oh the community is complaining about how long it is taking. When they told us all, not to buy in and wait for official launch if we are worried about the money or wait time.

Go play other games or work on further hobbies as you wait.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    TLDR is your childishly upset that you can't play a game that isn't finished and you're projecting FOMO on to an entire community that just commented in unison that you're wrong.
  • Options
    ItsFayneItsFayne Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    As someone who has been here since the beginning, I just have to say no to this letter. You dont represent us. It is not an issue the community (save a small vocal handful) care about. We want a game that is good when it launches. Not something that is just "fine".
    7l7hsjx.png
  • Options
    KingDDDKingDDD Member
    RazThemun wrote: »
    We want a quality product. Testing is for specific purposes. If there is little to test then why open up the test realms/servers? Would you not rather actually have more classes, dungeons, etc to actually test? Would you not rather actually be able to log on and do things that differed from the alpha 1 testing?

This game could release in 4 years and every one of you are still going to play it. Intrepid needs to stay on task and work towards their internal goals for the creation of their product. Plenty of other games are offering new expansions or new mmo's are coming out to fill your time as you await ashes.

This argument is like wanting to test drive a vehicle where they are still working on the a/c, electric windows, etc. We get you are excited for the product but if it is not ready yet for testing specific things then it is all for not. You need specific things to test and account for to make any form of testing valuable. What are we to test? What problem is intrepid looking to solve with said testing? There needs to be a purpose to it and not just... oh the community is complaining about how long it is taking. When they told us all, not to buy in and wait for official launch if we are worried about the money or wait time.

Go play other games or work on further hobbies as you wait.

They are still building the engine. Overall the game is 2+ years from launch.
  • Options
    SjeldenSjelden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    growing concern among your supporters

You refer to supports in general, but whom are you specifically talking about here?
    Because unless you name the individuals you speak for, and they show up to confirm, I should assume you speak for yourself, and noone else.

I, for one, can attest you certainly do not speak for me. Thank you!
  • Options
    MarcetMarcet Member
    Steven, the Tank name is a growing concern among your supporters, all of us feel frustrated and want to change it.
  • Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Marcet wrote: »
    Steven, the Tank name is a growing concern among your supporters, all of us feel frustrated and want to change it.

Not all. I say leave it alone.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • Options
    Dear Steven Sharif,

I am writing to you about the current state of Ashes of Creation, and the growing concern among your supporters regarding the direction of the game's development. Specifically, I want to address the "Ashes Paradox" that has emerged recently, and how it is affecting the community.

Firstly, I want to bring up the issue of cosmetic sales after the Kickstarter campaign. This has caused frustration among supporters who believed the game was already fully funded. The addition of FOMO-style sales may bring in extra revenue, but it is not a good look for a game that claims to be transparent and community-focused. It is important to remember that the community is the reason why the game is even in development, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty.
    Secondly, while transparency is important, many supporters are starting to feel like they are being led on with no tangible product. The constant teasing of the game and its features without a clear release date is causing a sense of frustration among supporters.

While it is important to keep the community engaged, there needs to be a balance between transparency and realistic expectations. Some supporters are even comparing Ashes of Creation to Star Citizen, a game that has been in development for years without a clear release date. This is not a comparison that anyone wants to make, and it is important to make sure that Ashes of Creation doesn't fall into the same trap.

The last spot testing or test from July 14 - August 15, 2021 has left many supporters feeling left out and frustrated. It is not fair to those who have supported the game and have been eagerly waiting for their chance to test the game. While playtesting may not be a priority for the development team, it is important to remember that the community is eager to get their hands on the game and provide feedback.

As a member of the Ashes of Creation community, I understand that game development can be a time-consuming and challenging process. It is not uncommon for games to experience delays, and I appreciate that the development team is taking the necessary time to ensure that the game meets the highest standards of quality.

However, I also understand the frustration that some members of the community are feeling about the lack of playtesting opportunities since July 14 - August 15, 2021. Many of us have been eagerly awaiting the chance to play the game and provide feedback to the development team. Playtesting is a crucial part of the game development process, and it allows developers to gather valuable feedback from players about the game's mechanics, performance, and overall experience. It also provides players with an opportunity to engage with the game and become invested in its development.

While I understand that the development team may have their reasons for not holding playtests, I believe that it would be beneficial for the game's development to continue to provide playtesting opportunities to the community. It would not only allow us to provide feedback to the development team, but it would also help to keep the community engaged and invested in the game's development.

Having NDA testing again would allow a select group of Alpha members to test the game under the protection of a non-disclosure agreement. This would ensure that any issues or bugs found during testing can be addressed before they are made public, preventing potential negative impact on the game's reputation. Additionally, NDA testing would provide the developers with valuable feedback from a dedicated group of testers who have a vested interest in the success of the game. It would also give the testers a chance to provide input on game mechanics and make suggestions for improvement. Overall, NDA testing would be beneficial for both the developers and the Alpha testers, and could help ensure a smoother and more successful launch for Ashes of Creation.

Another potential solution could be to conduct NDA testing once a month or every few major updates. This would allow a smaller group of trusted testers to have early access to the latest build of the game and provide valuable feedback to the developers. By limiting the number of testers and enforcing strict NDA agreements, the developers could ensure that the testing is more controlled and focused, while still gathering important feedback on the latest features and mechanics. This approach could provide a good balance between maintaining secrecy and gathering feedback from trusted testers

Ashes of Creation has not only united gamers with a shared passion, but it has also created strong and lasting bonds of friendship. Through our collective anticipation for the game's release, we have formed a supportive community that values camaraderie and collaboration. We have come to appreciate each other's unique perspectives and talents, and we have found joy in sharing our excitement for Ashes of Creation with one another. While we eagerly await the game's release, we will continue to cherish the friendships we have made and the sense of community that Ashes of Creation has brought to our lives.
    An alternative solution to NDA testing could be to conduct playtesting sessions that focus on specific features or mechanics. For example, a playtesting session could be designed to test combat mechanics or PvP balance, allowing the developers to gather targeted feedback on those aspects of the game. Another example could be a playtesting session focused on testing new content or quests in a particular region of the game world.

These playtesting sessions could be structured and organized to ensure that testers are focused on the specific features or mechanics being tested. Testers could be given specific objectives to complete during the session, such as defeating a particular boss or completing a certain questline. The developers could then gather feedback on how well these objectives were met and use that feedback to improve the game.

One benefit of this approach is that it could provide more consistent and targeted feedback to the developers. Instead of relying on random gameplay sessions, the developers could receive feedback on specific areas of the game that they are actively working to improve. This could help speed up the development process and ensure that the game is more polished upon release.
    Additionally, scheduling playtesting sessions in advance would give Alpha testers ample time to prepare and participate. This could help ensure that the sessions are well attended and that the feedback gathered is representative of the Alpha tester population. Overall, this approach could help create a more collaborative and productive relationship between the developers and the Alpha testers.

It is important to remember that the community is the backbone of any successful game. The Ashes of Creation community has supported the game through thick and thin, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty. The development team needs to balance transparency with realistic expectations, and provide more opportunities for supporters to playtest the game. The future success of Ashes of Creation depends on the relationship between the development team and the community, and it is crucial to maintain that relationship in order to build a successful game.

Sincerely,
    KingManny#0001

Im ok to wait forever if the game is good at the end ! A bit less agree with the fact of selling a crazy price some skins without any release date.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    Marcet wrote: »

Stop saying all of us, it is actually childish.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    Disagree, the game is going in the right direction. Also they, I assume, don't need a whole pile of us testing under nda acting like mini devs right now. We might just get in the way at this point.

Let's be real, this letter had two main points buried in the text wall.

1. He doesn't like the cosmetic sales
    2. He's frustrated that we won't be playing it til next year (spot tests asside).

Why a 5000 words post to say those two things?
  • Options
    I think I can 'speak for the community' ( :) ) and say that the majority of the supporters are perfectly fine with the way the development is going.

Lots of people have been here for many years and would love the game to be amazing (me too!). Well, it is, but just think how amazing it will be once it is done. We don't need a game to be released before it should be. We have seen lots of those before.
    I totally agree with Stephen when he said that the game will be released when it is ready.
  • Options
    BabayugahBabayugah Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Curious who from the community has shared your thoughts as nobody here seems to agree. So, why are you speaking for "the community"? Such an L post, I'd delete my account from embarrassment. The entitlement radiating from your horrible opinions is cringe.

Regards,

#1 Ranger
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    I think game development isn't fit for everyone. Sometimes patience is required and an open mind. I feel the project has improved tenfold and will continue to improve tenfold. Right now, everything is up in the air but in time the dust will settle. I certainly don't feel despondent or disappointed at the moment. The team works very hard to give us all the livestreams, upgrades, updates and cosmetics each month.

I'm rather amazed at the fantasy minds the devs have. Often, the concepts come from left field and leave me with something to ponder. I especially love the fragrant lore and can't wait to explore the actual game lore. I feel fortunate to have had the urge to heal many years ago and stumble on the project. I'm grateful for the chance to test the game too.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VirtekVirtek Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I have to honestly say I could only get about halfway through your post before I just couldn't continue. I didn't bump into one things that I agree with to even a 60% level.

I backed during the kickstarter and have continued to support the team, even if I have some disagreements with some of their approaches/ideas. Namely continuing to sell freehold skins without a clue how they will be applied. FOMO gains 10 points from this alone. This is my one main sticking issue and why I don't really buy any cosmetics anymore.

Other than that, I can't say I agree with anything else here to any major degree.
    Rush development? No thank you.
    Give a release date? Slow ya roll, playa. get it done right, then announce release dates.
    More NDA-covered testing? Outside of PI spot-testing, which they've basically said could happen at any time for random "we need to see how this works with lots of people right now" reasons, this would go against some previous statements of the testing phase flow. You have any idea how much backlash there would be from this? The only way that would be avoided is if it was in DIRECT and IMMEDIATE prep for A2 opening up to all A2 testers.
    Add more phases with targetted purposes for each one? Pretty sure that is part of the defined approach for when A2 is opened up, as was somewhat confirmed with a question from TGF Tavern on the last "Community Q&A" session with Steven. (VERY paraphrased question and answer below)
    • Q - Will A2 release content in a linear manner (simply adding new stuff to old stuff), or in a cyclical manner, where some things are turned on and others off in set cycles (which would allow the testing of specific items for set windows of time, bringing them down to iterate on them, and then test other systems)?
    • A - It will be a combination of the two approaches, based on the system in question.

What in the world is the "Ashes Paradox" anyway? You never defined that and I haven't heard anyone else use the term.
  • Options
    ErahhErahh Member
    Dear Steven Sharif,

I am writing to you about the current state of Ashes of Creation, and the growing concern among your supporters regarding the direction of the game's development. Specifically, I want to address the "Ashes Paradox" that has emerged recently, and how it is affecting the community.

Firstly, I want to bring up the issue of cosmetic sales after the Kickstarter campaign. This has caused frustration among supporters who believed the game was already fully funded. The addition of FOMO-style sales may bring in extra revenue, but it is not a good look for a game that claims to be transparent and community-focused. It is important to remember that the community is the reason why the game is even in development, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty.
    Secondly, while transparency is important, many supporters are starting to feel like they are being led on with no tangible product. The constant teasing of the game and its features without a clear release date is causing a sense of frustration among supporters.

While it is important to keep the community engaged, there needs to be a balance between transparency and realistic expectations. Some supporters are even comparing Ashes of Creation to Star Citizen, a game that has been in development for years without a clear release date. This is not a comparison that anyone wants to make, and it is important to make sure that Ashes of Creation doesn't fall into the same trap.

The last spot testing or test from July 14 - August 15, 2021 has left many supporters feeling left out and frustrated. It is not fair to those who have supported the game and have been eagerly waiting for their chance to test the game. While playtesting may not be a priority for the development team, it is important to remember that the community is eager to get their hands on the game and provide feedback.

As a member of the Ashes of Creation community, I understand that game development can be a time-consuming and challenging process. It is not uncommon for games to experience delays, and I appreciate that the development team is taking the necessary time to ensure that the game meets the highest standards of quality.

However, I also understand the frustration that some members of the community are feeling about the lack of playtesting opportunities since July 14 - August 15, 2021. Many of us have been eagerly awaiting the chance to play the game and provide feedback to the development team. Playtesting is a crucial part of the game development process, and it allows developers to gather valuable feedback from players about the game's mechanics, performance, and overall experience. It also provides players with an opportunity to engage with the game and become invested in its development.

While I understand that the development team may have their reasons for not holding playtests, I believe that it would be beneficial for the game's development to continue to provide playtesting opportunities to the community. It would not only allow us to provide feedback to the development team, but it would also help to keep the community engaged and invested in the game's development.

Having NDA testing again would allow a select group of Alpha members to test the game under the protection of a non-disclosure agreement. This would ensure that any issues or bugs found during testing can be addressed before they are made public, preventing potential negative impact on the game's reputation. Additionally, NDA testing would provide the developers with valuable feedback from a dedicated group of testers who have a vested interest in the success of the game. It would also give the testers a chance to provide input on game mechanics and make suggestions for improvement. Overall, NDA testing would be beneficial for both the developers and the Alpha testers, and could help ensure a smoother and more successful launch for Ashes of Creation.

Another potential solution could be to conduct NDA testing once a month or every few major updates. This would allow a smaller group of trusted testers to have early access to the latest build of the game and provide valuable feedback to the developers. By limiting the number of testers and enforcing strict NDA agreements, the developers could ensure that the testing is more controlled and focused, while still gathering important feedback on the latest features and mechanics. This approach could provide a good balance between maintaining secrecy and gathering feedback from trusted testers

Ashes of Creation has not only united gamers with a shared passion, but it has also created strong and lasting bonds of friendship. Through our collective anticipation for the game's release, we have formed a supportive community that values camaraderie and collaboration. We have come to appreciate each other's unique perspectives and talents, and we have found joy in sharing our excitement for Ashes of Creation with one another. While we eagerly await the game's release, we will continue to cherish the friendships we have made and the sense of community that Ashes of Creation has brought to our lives.
    An alternative solution to NDA testing could be to conduct playtesting sessions that focus on specific features or mechanics. For example, a playtesting session could be designed to test combat mechanics or PvP balance, allowing the developers to gather targeted feedback on those aspects of the game. Another example could be a playtesting session focused on testing new content or quests in a particular region of the game world.

These playtesting sessions could be structured and organized to ensure that testers are focused on the specific features or mechanics being tested. Testers could be given specific objectives to complete during the session, such as defeating a particular boss or completing a certain questline. The developers could then gather feedback on how well these objectives were met and use that feedback to improve the game.

One benefit of this approach is that it could provide more consistent and targeted feedback to the developers. Instead of relying on random gameplay sessions, the developers could receive feedback on specific areas of the game that they are actively working to improve. This could help speed up the development process and ensure that the game is more polished upon release.
    Additionally, scheduling playtesting sessions in advance would give Alpha testers ample time to prepare and participate. This could help ensure that the sessions are well attended and that the feedback gathered is representative of the Alpha tester population. Overall, this approach could help create a more collaborative and productive relationship between the developers and the Alpha testers.

It is important to remember that the community is the backbone of any successful game. The Ashes of Creation community has supported the game through thick and thin, and they deserve to be treated with respect and honesty. The development team needs to balance transparency with realistic expectations, and provide more opportunities for supporters to playtest the game. The future success of Ashes of Creation depends on the relationship between the development team and the community, and it is crucial to maintain that relationship in order to build a successful game.

Sincerely,
    KingManny#0001

This entire thing just smells of entitlement
    dirnvhxxle1r.png
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Dear Steven Sharif...

So basically...
    1) Cosmetics
    2) You really really want to play.

Get a grip. They're taking their time to do it right. They'll tell us when it's ready to test & release, not the other way round.
    People are so entitled these days.

I love what you're doing Intrepid, stick to your guns.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Did we really need to necro this to talk bad about the OP a year later?
  • Options
    blatblat Member
    Did we really need to necro this to talk bad about the OP a year later?

Lel I had no idea it was so old. Passing the blame to @Erahh. (He's not wrong though)
  • Options
    " April 2023 " ... ... ...

Not trying to sound disrespectful here,
    but does anyone know if this Topic was made on April FIRST ?? ;) . :D

Because this is what it seems to me.

You know what one of the only - the OOONNNLY - Chances is, to ruin Ashes of Creation and mess it up ? Bringing it close to Death and prevent it's rise to Glory forever ?

By bringing it out way to early, when everything is buggy - nothing really works and functions - half or even less of all the Stuff which shall make it Fun is in the Game and ready at Launch -> and then People quit disappointed and don't come back forever.

Why trying to prevent it ?
    To prevent a Game that may or may not " FINALLY " give World of WoW-Token Craft the Kick into the Balls it so rightfully deserves ? :tongue: Because honestly - THIS IS - what the Market needs.

COMPETITION !!!

I wish to see a Game that FINALLY gets some People away from WoW and restored something like BALANCE back to the MMO Market.

( And also, no Simping for Sir Steven and the rest of Intrepid here - but i also want to see an awesome Team of Developers rewarded for their amazing Work and Effort over now a only larger and larger growing Number of Years, in which they DID NOT GAVE UP and kept working to finally make a very good Game. )

Jeah. I kiiinda want to see them succeed and get rewarded handsomely.
    jcildf8jglv5.png
  • Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    Please don't post vague open letters, state a concrete topic