Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Encouraging World PvP while avoiding Griefing

So you know where I'm coming from here: I'm typically a PvP focused player and it's the #1 thing I'm looking forward to about AoC! I've dreamed of a great World PvP experience forever. But I also understand that if PvE players have a poor experience and don't play the game, it ends badly for everyone (larger playerbase = more $$$ for devs = more content for players)

Saw a video on concerns with always-on PvP in the open world, the idea that it could discourage some people from playing, and I wanted to pitch some thoughts and ideas. The hope is to start a discussion.

TL;DR: Protecting the Griefed > Nerfing the Griefers.

I know this is long-winded, but I do hope you read the post as I'd love to hear thoughts/ideas/criticisms/adjustments. I think a good conversation and brainstorming session could get some great ideas going.

I'd like to preface this by saying that all numbers given are just examples to demonstrate the concept and could of course be tweaked to whatever works best.

My thought is that you can avoid over-griefing of a player by time gating how often they can be killed by another player. For example, a single death by pvp grants 10 minutes of Grace period during which you are safe. Then if you are killed again within 30 minutes of your previous death (20 minutes after the grace period wares off), you gain 30 minutes of immunity with a 45 minute (30 grace +15 after) period which will raise the bar again, or reset to original if you aren't killed. This way pvpers can have their fun by attacking a variety of targets, while individuals avoid being camped. By starting a fight while your own grace period/protection is active, your protection would be reset, allowing you to engage with the system however you desire.

You could balance this with a time-gated "Open Season" period. For example, every 3-6 hours a zone can go into "War Mode" for 30-60 minutes. During this Open Season period, all grace periods would be removed and large-scale battles would be encouraged. Rewards could be provided to encourage active participation. You could have various zones set to 3-6 hour intervals that they go into these war modes, but stagger them. By having longer War Mode intervals staggered by zone, PvE players could avoid frequently being interrupted by these world events, and PvP players would be encouraged to rotate to a zone that is actively at War and could go after the associated rewards and desired gameplay. It would also make it more likely that PvPers are fighting other PvPers because they would move to these active Wars, which helps the open world PvP balance, as they would be more likely to encounter each other and thus similarly geared and experienced players rather than just camping people lower level than them.

I think by combining these two mechanics, you could limit the impact on individuals wanting to avoid PvP while also keeping the Open World PvP feeling alive. It would also encourage a variety of PvP locations and active use of the entire world rather than just certain static objectives and locations. It would also be a mechanism by which people could engage in large-scale PvP that I think AoC is looking to bring to life.

An afterthought I had is that a "Bodyguard" mechanic/reward system by which players are incentivized to protect non pvp-flagged/non-corrupted players from corrupted pvpers could reduce griefing of pve players while also encouraging PvPing between players who desire. For example, temporarily become a "Lawkeeper/Protector/Guard" or whatever within a zone, and be unable to attack unflagged/uncorrupted players while being encouraged/rewarded for killing corrupted/flagged pvpers who have been killing "innocents."

I suspect the devs could also find interesting ways to integrate this into the economic/node system of the game as well. (Tax-funded lawkeepers?)

All of these are just rough ideas and food for thought meant to spark discussion and encourage thinking outside the box. I think with a bit of creativity and effort some fun and unique gameplay moments could be created, encouraging active Open World PvP while also limiting the griefing that would discourage players who don't want to engage with pvp at a given time.

Comments

• NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    All I can see with this whole thing is that the system will be abused.

One of the main reasons to attack and kill another player in an open world PvP game is so that you can monopolize a farming location (mobs or harvests). With your system, if I am harvesting in that area and you wish to take it over, you attack me, kill me, and then give me 10 minutes of safe time in that area (safe from you, at least).

Now, rather than fighting to hold on to the area you wanted to hold on to, you basically have nothing at all you can do to stop me.
  • You make a really good point! Any thoughts on how the idea could be modified to accommodate that issue? Or thoughts on the other ideas? Best way to come up with good new ideas is to punch as many holes in the original ideas as possible and modify them accordingly. Thanks for your thoughts!
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    TheIceBerg wrote: »
    Best way to come up with good new ideas is to punch as many holes in the original ideas as possible and modify them accordingly. Thanks for your thoughts!
    This is a sentiment I agree with 100%

One potential method of plugging this specific hole is to have a radius from where a player is killed that if they enter, grace and immunity are both wiped clean.

Basically, this means that people can fight over a spot (for what ever reason they have), and as long as both want to fight over that same spot, they are able to do so. However, as soon the player that has been killed walks away from said spot, that immunity and grace effect kick in.

I mean, you can't really say someone is griefing you if you haven't at least attempted to just walk away.
  • TheIceBergTheIceBerg Member
    edited April 2023
    Noaani wrote: »
    have a radius from where a player is killed that if they enter, grace and immunity are both wiped clean.
    That's a really creative solution, I like it!
    Noaani wrote: »
    I mean, you can't really say someone is griefing you if you haven't at least attempted to just walk away.
    A very good point.
  • DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 2023
    TheIceBerg wrote: »
    So you know where I'm coming from here: I'm typically a PvP focused player and it's the #1 thing I'm looking forward to about AoC! I've dreamed of a great World PvP experience forever. But I also understand that if PvE players have a poor experience and don't play the game, it ends badly for everyone (larger playerbase = more $$$ for devs = more content for players)

Saw a video on concerns with always-on PvP in the open world, the idea that it could discourage some people from playing, and I wanted to pitch some thoughts and ideas. The hope is to start a discussion.

TL;DR: Protecting the Griefed > Nerfing the Griefers.

I know this is long-winded, but I do hope you read the post as I'd love to hear thoughts/ideas/criticisms/adjustments. I think a good conversation and brainstorming session could get some great ideas going.

I'd like to preface this by saying that all numbers given are just examples to demonstrate the concept and could of course be tweaked to whatever works best.

My thought is that you can avoid over-griefing of a player by time gating how often they can be killed by another player. For example, a single death by pvp grants 10 minutes of Grace period during which you are safe. Then if you are killed again within 30 minutes of your previous death (20 minutes after the grace period wares off), you gain 30 minutes of immunity with a 45 minute (30 grace +15 after) period which will raise the bar again, or reset to original if you aren't killed. This way pvpers can have their fun by attacking a variety of targets, while individuals avoid being camped. By starting a fight while your own grace period/protection is active, your protection would be reset, allowing you to engage with the system however you desire.

You could balance this with a time-gated "Open Season" period. For example, every 3-6 hours a zone can go into "War Mode" for 30-60 minutes. During this Open Season period, all grace periods would be removed and large-scale battles would be encouraged. Rewards could be provided to encourage active participation. You could have various zones set to 3-6 hour intervals that they go into these war modes, but stagger them. By having longer War Mode intervals staggered by zone, PvE players could avoid frequently being interrupted by these world events, and PvP players would be encouraged to rotate to a zone that is actively at War and could go after the associated rewards and desired gameplay. It would also make it more likely that PvPers are fighting other PvPers because they would move to these active Wars, which helps the open world PvP balance, as they would be more likely to encounter each other and thus similarly geared and experienced players rather than just camping people lower level than them.

I think by combining these two mechanics, you could limit the impact on individuals wanting to avoid PvP while also keeping the Open World PvP feeling alive. It would also encourage a variety of PvP locations and active use of the entire world rather than just certain static objectives and locations. It would also be a mechanism by which people could engage in large-scale PvP that I think AoC is looking to bring to life.

An afterthought I had is that a "Bodyguard" mechanic/reward system by which players are incentivized to protect non pvp-flagged/non-corrupted players from corrupted pvpers could reduce griefing of pve players while also encouraging PvPing between players who desire. For example, temporarily become a "Lawkeeper/Protector/Guard" or whatever within a zone, and be unable to attack unflagged/uncorrupted players while being encouraged/rewarded for killing corrupted/flagged pvpers who have been killing "innocents."

I suspect the devs could also find interesting ways to integrate this into the economic/node system of the game as well. (Tax-funded lawkeepers?)

All of these are just rough ideas and food for thought meant to spark discussion and encourage thinking outside the box. I think with a bit of creativity and effort some fun and unique gameplay moments could be created, encouraging active Open World PvP while also limiting the griefing that would discourage players who don't want to engage with pvp at a given time.

nope, highly abusable. just group up.

also, killing someone over and over isn't griefing. what if I'm leveling and you keep coming back to my spot (when there are other nearby spots available) and you keep trying to pull away my mobs, you try to mob drop me, etc etc. I will keep killing you to defend my spot. you have the choice of not coming back 10 times. pvers are the greatest griefers.
  • Why does every "problem" need a new convoluted system to protect people who shouldn't even be in that area? If you don't like the threat or reality of being ganked do not go to the area that has gankers.
  • This system will cause so many problems / abuses ... Bad idea.

Just like KingDDD said :
    KingDDD wrote: »
    Why does every "problem" need a new convoluted system to protect people who shouldn't even be in that area? If you don't like the threat or reality of being ganked do not go to the area that has gankers.

Or better, call friends, your guild, and defend yourself ! That's the most fun of MMOs