Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Spell casters should have a unique combat system

I am old school.. i dont feel like spells should be treated like other combat abilities.. it should have its own mechanic. Love the idea of a mana pool magic pool whatever.. with a GCD of whatever is standard.. 1.5 seconds as an example. also I feel like you can have say any spells on a hotbar up to say 5 at low levels 10 higher etc.. and you can not change them unless you visit an inn. Takes time to memorize all those arcane magics :D

I feel in this way there could be more mages or spell casters neeeded in a raid.. instead of just a few.. since you can only bring a certain number of spells.. also have a spell set for farming monsters.. gathering resources.. pvp.. etc. Makes you value your spells and maybe takes a little though into what you want to bring for any given situation.

just a thought didnt say it was a good one.. but I like it :D

Comments

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    spell-casters do have a unique combat system... it's called spell-casting
  • Options
    Have favored some kind of side-system for things like Necromancers - but the same ethic could easily apply to spell-casting.

Instead of sword-and-shield button-mashing and skill-timing in combat, what if a spell-caster had to manage to hang back from the frontline-combat, and stand still while they casted? Something akin to an accuracy-test of pushing the correct buttons for 'incantations' - and the lower accuracy you provided, the less of a chance of a critical hit?

In essence, the chance-to-hit directly correlates to your accuracy of getting the right combos of key-presses when casting the spell, with some ancilliary side-modifiers also playing in. This could work well with the "Blink" ability, since it gives distance between yourself and an enemy in pursuit.

Am pretty certain it's too late in development to seriously consider changes to the way it will work - but I like your idea, at least. Necromancers, by comparison, would have to use a similar system, in order to maintain control/effectiveness of their summons, during combat.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    GCD is shit
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 2023
    GCD is shit

This is an area IS needs to stick to their design philosophies. I'm intrested to see how skill flow works when we play it. Fact is, GCD is not something you can integrate later without difficulty.