Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Divination spells in Ashes

Are there any planned divination spells in the game's design? Some of these spells are not usually present in MMOs, but are IMO a very useful and unique type of magic. I can think of some examples from dnd that are very useful:

1 - Locate Creature: You give a player's name and it gives you a broad sense of distance and direction.
Ex: "Kiochina is very far west" or "Kiochina is close, south". No specific location so the player still has to do some work.
You can also use multiple clerics to triangulate a player's position. With this spell, it's harder for griefers and people that killed you to escape without consequences, since the world is so big.

2 - Detect Magic: You detect any magical presence around you. It could be used for treasure hunting and finding secrets. Of course, some balance must be used to adapt these type of spells.

What do you think of this type of spells in the game and what other divination spells do you hope to see in the game?

Comments

• Options
    ZyllosZyllos Member
    I am hoping Enchanter (Summoner/Bard) might have Divination spells that might be like Haste long term buff and maybe a "See Future" that is a short term attack/dodge buff on a long cooldown.

Divination spells are the hardest type of spells to place into a MMO because most are non-combat type of spells and MMOs generally focus most on combat.

But, I do agree, I would like to see Divination be involved in the schools of spells.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    There will be skills like 'Detect Trap' and we have been told that the Mage's equivalent skill detects magic explosive hazards. I know this isn't exactly what you asked, but it is a step in that direction.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Utility_skills