Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Blink

Would love to have a mechanic where when blink is bound to a key that the length of key press can effect travel distance. Key down to start blink and key up to stop short (go less distance). Could technically be done with click down / up too.

Comments

• Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Wouldn't it be easier to know the distance each time after one click? I don't see how viable a channelled blink would be. Surely you have other things to do with your fingers in a PvX game?
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Might be easier but also easier for your opponent to guess your landing point and creates a lower skill ceiling. Would prefer to have two charges of blink that went half the distance instead of the long jump.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Hmm. I can see your point with regards to PvP. Eventually people will still react to blink distances even with a variable distance. Its all about learning the classes and especially the opponent's skills. There will be hard counters after all.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    edited May 2023
    Cryoforge wrote: »
    Might be easier but also easier for your opponent to guess your landing point and creates a lower skill ceiling. Would prefer to have two charges of blink that went half the distance instead of the long jump.
    Lower ceiling for whom though? The mage's pvp would now be harder, because others can predict his moves easier, so his ceiling is higher. But properly predicting the timing and properly moving to the right spot before mage even makes the jump would be a pretty high ceiling for others imo.

As for channeled blink - make that an augment.
  • It might be something that can be augmented or specialized, as the Mage levels.

Probably just augmenting the distance would be fine, though; It's essentially an escape/positioning-ability, so it probably doesn't need a channel/key-hold.

• I support every post so far ...

... but what about cost increases for players that want to spam the blink skill?

It's fair for the Combat Team to talk about gap distancers and gap closers in the Livestream. That should be the bread & butter for any Mage.

I'm talking more about player abuse and trying to excuse themself from every situation by just "blinking out".

Shouldn't there be a cost increase if the skill is used more than once in 5 seconds, for example?
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Shouldn't there be a cost increase if the skill is used more than once in 5 seconds, for example?
    I'd prefer the cd to be way longer than that in the first place. Make it an initiation ability or a "get the fuck outta dodge" one.
  • Cryoforge wrote: »
    Would love to have a mechanic where when blink is bound to a key that the length of key press can effect travel distance. Key down to start blink and key up to stop short (go less distance). Could technically be done with click down / up too.

I like the idea, for sure. Sounds interesting. But the skill seemed like a pretty quick one, so I'm not sure how much key-pressing could be done.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • PenguinPaladinPenguinPaladin Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Would be more likely to change to where:

using blink is a 2 step process, activate blink, which gives you a "targeting circle" where you aim for your target destination. Then click to blink.

Before i ever expected it to be timed by how long the key is held for
  • SpifSpif Member
    I like blink the way it is, especially because you don't always blink in the direction you are facing, you blink in the direction you are moving, including backwards. And if not moving, I assume it defaults to facing.

But, ground target blink could be an option. The game world needs to be built with this in mind, as it might allow you to get to places you shouldn't. But if leap abilities don't check pathing, then this would be fine.

A channeled Blink could work like this: 1-2s duration while skill key is pressed. If you release the key, spell ends. Remove all movement impairing effects. +300% move speed. You are invisible for the duration of the channel. Feels more like a Rogue ability though
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Sometimes when I've used similar abilities in other MMORPGs, it's because I need to immediately escape a situation, in the... blink of an eye 😉

I wonder, if holding down the key and losing some of those precious moments to alter the distance of the blink could possibly be fatal in those situations 🤔 Certainly a thought-starter of an idea!
    community_management.gif
  • I could see this variation of the basic skill implemented through a secundary archetype augment.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?