Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Macro Bind Question

What will ashes stance on macros be, and if it is a positive stance,
will there be in game macro support such as seen in WoW, or will some third party software/addon be required.

My thoughts:
Steven has said in the past that he intends for the game to be playable with little to no addons because of how adjustable ashes will be. If ashes of creation is anti-macro, I do not think that will necessarily stop people from trying to use them anyways, (unless you just have some anticheat that slaps.) I honestly agree with steven, the less addons i need to install the better, and I really hope that if ashes becomes one of those macro button games that I don't need to download something for it.

Comments

• Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    I will also point out, so far the only abilities that seem to have a smidge of macro potential are (blink/bubble/fire blast) +spell. Depending on GCD timing, macros might not even be relevant at all. Still worth bringing up tho.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The current plan is to not allow macros at all, as Intrepid feel that would prevent them from being able to detect bots and such as effectively.

I dont personally see this as a reason to prevent in game macros, but I am not Steven, so...
  • Options
    ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vissox wrote: »
    I will also point out, so far the only abilities that seem to have a smidge of macro potential are (blink/bubble/fire blast) +spell. Depending on GCD timing, macros might not even be relevant at all. Still worth bringing up tho.

To be honest alot more abilities could be macrod, just depending in what type of macros you can create and play style, for example every cleric ability could be made into a mouseover, all mage abilities could be mouseovers, you could have a blink "if" in combat, the potential is really high, i hope that they allow macros but i dont want to see addons, they are completley different in my opinion. One thing wow does well is their UI even without addons
  • Options
    While I am not entirely opposed to macros. I do prefer a simpler set up where they are not as necessary! If you need a macro to make an ability really slap then just create it within the system. In wow if I need to click Pillar of Frost before a move to make a frost dk actually function... then why not have that as a simple skill point selection?! Instead of a separate ability we need to macro in to begin with in order to avoid pushing pillar of frost -before 30% of our other abilities?
    Ashes fortunately has a clean slate to really see what will work well and what the player base wants. Without automatically thinking. We must have a way to do macros, add ons, etc just for the game to be worthy of playing.

We shall see how things play out though.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 2023
    You can do as you like. Intrepid has said if you do, you may trigger their security. If they think you have broken what they consider "bad play" in their TOS, prepare for account action.

The issue with macros is that from an anti cheat metric perspective it's difficult to define what a macro is against a script. And in order to catch all scripts sometimes you have to prevent the macro usage. So really that's a that's a data issue. If we allow for macros then we lose our ability to precisely ban script users, botters.[12] – Steven Sharif
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    Chicago wrote: »

To be honest alot more abilities could be macrod, just depending in what type of macros you can create and play style, for example every cleric ability could be made into a mouseover.

God I hope so. Mouse over healing is based, I really hope I can mouseover frame heal too.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Will just bind my abilities to my mmo mouse.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif