Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

What is the difference between the races when fighting?

I'm not talking about specific and concrete bonuses attributed to the races, but differences that can be strengths and weaknesses related to their physical aspect.

For example, will a human have to crouch to reach a dwarf more easily with a melee weapon?

Will smaller races have a smaller collision point?

It was mentioned in 2017 that "Some classes may work better with certain races but nothing is enforced" but do we have more precision since then? (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Races#Racial_benefits)

Again I'm talking about differences in combat related to the physical aspect of a race.

Comments

• NiKrNiKr Member
    Last mention seems to be from 2020, saying that all hitboxes are the same.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hitboxes
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Myosotys wrote: »
    Again I'm talking about differences in combat related to the physical aspect of a race.

While we dont have full confirmation from Intrepid, it is fairly safe to assume there wont be any differences in this regard.

The differences in combat between the races are likely going to be stat based. While some may claim this is boring, and has been done in every other MMO ever, the reason for that is simple - anything else is literally impossible to balance.
  • In tab target it would make little difference. Now in action combat, shooting something like an arrow would prove more difficult hitting a dwarf than a big orc. Simply due to their size.
  • RazThemun wrote: »
    In tab target it would make little difference. Now in action combat, shooting something like an arrow would prove more difficult hitting a dwarf than a big orc. Simply due to their size.

I thought there was a lock target so it shouldn’t make a big difference.

• LodrigLodrig Member
    As a future Dwarf player I would certainly like to see a reduced hit chance for auto attacks particularly single target ranged auto attacks, in exchange for a movement speed reduction and I think all races could be put on a spectrum that trades off these two factors. Better stealth for smaller races is also possibly if stealth is implemented as a gradation rather then a binary.

What I don't expect and would not want is for mana using skills be they melee, ranged or AOE to differ in chance to hit based on the target race as this would potentially disrupt mana cost balance.
  • Lodrig wrote: »
    As a future Dwarf player I would certainly like to see a reduced hit chance for auto attacks particularly single target ranged auto attacks, in exchange for a movement speed reduction and I think all races could be put on a spectrum that trades off these two factors. Better stealth for smaller races is also possibly if stealth is implemented as a gradation rather then a binary.

What I don't expect and would not want is for mana using skills be they melee, ranged or AOE to differ in chance to hit based on the target race as this would potentially disrupt mana cost balance.

On a realistic point of view, collision should be different but if is the case, every one will make a dwarf so the initial idea of not advantaging any race would be fail.

Or they could make the dwarf larger for they look like a ball for more collision on the sides :D

It is a complicated dilemna.
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    edited May 2023
    Myosotys wrote: »
    On a realistic point of view, collision should be different but if is the case, every one will make a dwarf so the initial idea of not advantaging any race would be fail.

Or they could make the dwarf larger for they look like a ball for more collision on the sides :D

It is a complicated dilemna.

I'm not exactly clear on what you mean, I was under the impression that ranged attacks are not done in any kind of FPS manor that actually involves a hitbox (as in DarkFall for example), rather they are tab-targeted, so a 'reduced chance to hit' as I described is just a math modifier applied to the hit chance along with other relevant factors like distance, cover, weather effects, archer dex stats etc.

The balance is straightforward, the amount of missed shots one would have against a charging Dwarf would be balance by being able to attempt more shots due to their slower movement speed.

The only place where character dimensional hitbox would then be relevant are when players actually physically collide while trying to occupy the same ground. And that is a rare enough case that I see no problem with just using identical boxes for such collisions, though I'd hope that actually pushing and shoving gets determined by str stats.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Pushing and shoving are there to prevent blockages in doorways. Strength based pushing and shoving would be exploitable in this regard.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • LodrigLodrig Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    Pushing and shoving are there to prevent blockages in doorways. Strength based pushing and shoving would be exploitable in this regard.

Your assuming a naive and stupid implementation, a person who is just standing with no movement input is just a mass which would be moved at a rate proportional to the pushers strength. Only when two characters are actively trying to move through each other would strength determine who is moved and how fast.
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited May 2023
    I haven't seen a single push or shove in pvp yet.

Furthermore, if there are diminishing returns on cc, there would have to be diminishing returns on push/shove.

Also, a strength based push or shove would be shit. A movement based push and shove is currently implemented and is fair to all. A strength based push/shove would only favour strength builds.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    NiKr wrote: »
    Last mention seems to be from 2020, saying that all hitboxes are the same.
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Hitboxes

Nice assist with the wiki link! :)
    community_management.gif