Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Splinter Topic: Throne And Liberty Skills/Weapon Mastery

AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited May 2023 in General Discussion
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1myyww9hgSkCbgav1ZYSCuGjMU_Ze_LnVIHUi89KIq2Q/edit#gid=1089659969

Mouseover to get a link to a Discord Screenshot, or use a plugin.

Now this... this can be useful. Let's tear 'em up!

I'm not going to try to 'control' this thread, but I'll still request this at least.

This thread is to let Intrepid collect data on what people think of the Skills And Weapon Masteries of TL.
  1. Not the combat/build system.
  2. Not the MOBA-like Skill Leveling system.
  3. Not the number of skills per weapon.
  4. Not the potential P2W.
  5. Not the Rooted Combat.
  6. Not the combat Balance.

But all I can do, of course, is request, and try to keep the post short. If people want to talk about those things above so much I will gladly make entirely separate threads for people to bash on or defend NCSoft's decisions related to those things, but those things don't apply to Ashes or Intrepid so why should we even care?

We have an equipment-agnostic no P2W Split Body group-Balanced game here with no sign of MOBA style Skill tiers. We don't care about anything in that list above. Intrepid likes to hear ideas for skills, class fantasies, etc, and now we've got stuff we can love or hate on in detail.

Let's go?
Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

Comments

• Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1myyww9hgSkCbgav1ZYSCuGjMU_Ze_LnVIHUi89KIq2Q/edit#gid=1089659969

I'm not going to try to 'control' this thread, but I'll still request this at least.

This thread is to let Intrepid collect data on what people think of the Skills And Weapon Masteries of TL.

But all I can do, of course, is request, and try to keep the post short. If people want to talk about those things above so much I will gladly make entirely separate threads for people to bash on or defend NCSoft's decisions related to those things, but those things don't apply to Ashes or Intrepid so why should we even care?

We have an equipment-agnostic no P2W Split Body group-Balanced game here with no sign of MOBA style Skill tiers. We don't care about anything in that list above. Intrepid likes to hear ideas for skills, class fantasies, etc, and now we've got stuff we can love or hate on in detail.

Let's go?

I don't think that's relevant data but ok
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Depraved wrote: »
    Azherae wrote: »

Let's go?

I don't think that's relevant data but ok

Yeah that's fine, if it turns out that no one outside my group cares, the thread will drop off easily, and I can just discuss it with them normally in our various spaces. We won't bring our conversations here or inflate the thread with them.

And I usually don't respond to my own threads for a while for the same reason. So if it's irrelevant, just ignore it (this is moreso directed at others who haven't posted yet). The fastest way to show Intrepid that this is not a topic the community considers important is to ignore it and trust that I won't bump it unnecessarily.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    jesus what i meant is its not relevant data for a company. unlikely...

like maybe 10 ppl like something but there's 1000 out there who don't. so you gotta do better sampling. that's what I meant
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Sword/Shield seems standard. The one thing that Intrepid could look at is the push interactions, cause TL also has body collision and there's interaction with it. Though I think they're already kinda looking at it.

Daggers are same. The only thing that stood out to me is that poison passive that has different additional boosts during day/night.

Greatsword same. The only interesting thing is the rage build up, which makes you track your stuns, if you want to maximize your dps.

Longbow same. The deadly marker is nice, cause party interaction and the downwind passive feels unique and would make you adjust angle of attack with the wind direction.

Crossbow is the most basic so far, no comments.

Wand/Tome is also a basic healer-debuffer. The explosion ability is nice cause it has cross-class synergy and the Blood Contract is nice cause it has double effect that also has an adjustable effect.

Staff is the same basic mage. I'm not sure I understand what exactly Janice passive does. Is it a mana use reduction? Is it mana transference? The wording is confusing to me, but it might be interesting?

All in all, this is a step above L2's skill design, due to more internal synergies than L2 had, but several steps behind what I'd want from Ashes, due to barely any party synergy. L2 had a step above this with their buff system, because several classes would add onto the buffs of other classes, making the whole party unit stronger, while TL seems way more single-player-centered. I'd need to see AoC's bard design to see where it lands among the other two.

I haven't deeply thought about all of those abilities, but rn I'd make this kind of party:
    • 1 shield/broadsword
    • 2 daggers/staves
    • 2 long/wands
    The first one for general CC. The 2 dps for both melee and ranged damage, with wand synergy of Explosion (and a ton of burst, if the staff's CD reduction ability works with dagger skills). The 2 longbow healers for previously stated synergy, ranged CC of long's bind and heals.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member

like maybe 10 ppl like something but there's 1000 out there who don't. so you gotta do better sampling. that's what I meant
    This would mean that this whole forum's existence is pointless. We have maybe 20 people who have strong vocal opinions. And maybe a few dozen more that just say smth once a month in the dev discussion thread. If Intrepid only cared about the opinions of the thousands - they'd never even look at this forum.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »

This would mean that this whole forum's existence is pointless. We have maybe 20 people who have strong vocal opinions. And maybe a few dozen more that just say smth once a month in the dev discussion thread. If Intrepid only cared about the opinions of the thousands - they'd never even look at this forum.

no because ppl interested in ashes are here...the target audience of the game is here and is wants feedback on specific stuff...

lots of people post on the dev threads, more people that post every day on user created threads
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    lots of people post on the dev threads, more people that post every day on user created threads
    Even if there's several hundred posters in those threads - that's still nothing compared to the millions of potential players.

And I do think that we have a varied enough group of hardcore posters on the forum that if all of them said their own opinion on the ability design of TL, intrepid would have a rough estimate of how their potential TA would react to different designs. Or they'd at least get a direction that they can use in their own dev discussions.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited May 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    Even if there's several hundred posters in those threads - that's still nothing compared to the millions of potential players.

And I do think that we have a varied enough group of hardcore posters on the forum that if all of them said their own opinion on the ability design of TL, intrepid would have a rough estimate of how their potential TA would react to different designs. Or they'd at least get a direction that they can use in their own dev discussions.

that's why they do surveys, twitter, social media etc =x

@Azherae I just realized we might be on the same discord lol Im with the author of that spreadsheet xd

edit: this video has everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWpSfUkHtY&ab_channel=PvEZone