Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Make PvE status effects (knockback, sleep, charm etc...) stat checks

BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
A big bad boss swings a massive tree at you:
* At under 30 strength, you get knocked back and knocked down.
* At 31 - 45 strength, you get knocked back but you resist the knock down.
* At 46+ strength, you resist the knock back and knock down.

An evil wizard boss attempts to sleep everyone in an AoE:
* Under 15 int/wis/perception, you sleep for max duration.
* 16 - 25 int/wis/perception, you sleep for half the duration.
* 26+ int, you resist sleep.

A succubus charms all the male members in the party:
* Under 30 willpower, you are charmed.
* 31-50 willpower, you resist charm.
* 51+ willpower, succubus is now weak to you for the rest of the fight

Comments

• Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    IIRC, they mentioned that it was a level 30 boss and was appropriate for players +/- nine levels from that.

If they use the L2 example (which they often do), that would imply that players from level 21 to 39 can fight this boss but a level 40+ player would do no damage to the boss, thus would not participate.

This does not invalidate your suggestion, just requires an adjustment to the numbers in your example.
  • Options
    BotagarBotagar Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Numbers here are of course just placeholders given I have no idea how they plan on scaling stats and other numbers.
    Just examples.
  • Options
    I agree with this. It is missing in MMOs and could be used to really incapsulate a feeling of adventure with different types of characters. It would change the way you could put group together and your planning of the fights.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    If I am reading the Wiki right on this, Mentality and Constitution will be the primary modifier for status effects, but I agree it would be interesting to add a bit more depth to this part of the system at least on boss encounters. However I would also call for caution with these kinds of systems as extensive necessity to reach certain stat requirements to defeat a boss could lead to a no-fun min max grind for custom made gear, which would be used for one that one boss and basically be useless afterwards. So there is a balance to be maintained but overall I agree, it would be cool to maybe expand the current system a bit more.

oonp8k0aary1.png
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Nope, no need for stat checks. You should be able to perform any ability once you've achieved the ability. It will take a longer period to unlock these abilities in the first place.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    Do we have a good idea what status effects on the part/raid frames will look like?