Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Talking lighting

Comments

• Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    NiKr wrote: »
    [
    But, Intrepid, take this as a piece of feedback from me - I prefer it this way. I don't want to decrease my screen's brightness every time I enter a snow biome (AND I PLAN TO FUCKING LIVE IN ONE), so I'd rather lose some realism than burn my eyes out for 10h every day.

Increasing the quality of the lighting doesn't have to mean it becomes unbearably bright. I'm surprised you have this take since I think the lighting is already unbearably bright during spell effects, And I also think when you're facing an object without a light source, it's too dark. You're also not considering that there will probably be particle and lighting adjustment sliders in the actual game menus. When I say lighting I'm not talking about how bright it is. I'm talking about where it goes, where it doesn't go, and just overall how natural it looks. The lighting and ashes does not consistently look natural. That's what I want, consistency.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Neurath wrote: »
    The mage showcase has the same issue. Blocked lighting and direct contrast between light and dark aspects. Cloth doesn't glow and metal reflects. We see neither reflection in good detail or cloth in proper cohesion.

It runs deep and should be highlighted because the game engine has inbuilt functions and ai which does a better job than the current iteration. I feel if the game hadn't come from ue4 we would have less issues overall. We still have ue4 elements in a ue5 engine which causes the disparities.
    What do you mean by "blocked"? If you're talking about light spreading further than what we see or shining through things correctly, then I thiiiink that's the Lumen I was talking about. And as I said, I'd imagine that it has its own potential issues, especially in the optimization department. They might've tried the fight with it enabled and it came out looking like shit, performance wise, so they went with a more simplistic visual but a better performance.

But I definitely think that this can be developed/optimized later on, because right now we need more base lvl stuff like core mechanics and their interactions (not like any of those were shown though :D ). I guess this topic is worth bringing up just to show Intrepid that we see a problem there, but I HIGHLY doubt it's an easy fix.
  • Options
    SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Lumens only do indirect lighting and actually increase performance from my knowledge of UE5. I'm discussing direct lighting and more importantly, interaction between the elements and the lighting. Its like the elements are just jumbled together and have no cohesion. Like stuff is made in isolation which it is. I realise these things can be remedied later on but we are having a discussion between what looks good and what looks bad and from my standpoint it just looks bad right now.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Vissox wrote: »
    When I say lighting I'm not talking about how bright it is. I'm talking about where it goes, where it doesn't go, and just overall how natural it looks. The lighting and ashes does not consistently look natural. That's what I want, consistency.
    Natural light goes far, reflects off of a ton of stuff and is almost all-encompassing. Natural light in a snowy location is fucking insane. There's a reason why you need proper eyewear for when you're snowboarding. You get blinded by the snow because it reflects the sun in a very harsh way. And even at night you see everything much better because there's way more reflected light around, even just from the moon.

And that is exactly why I prefer the current duller look. That electroball would've blasted the entire space in white-blue light, if it was "realistic". And even if it was tuned up by just a bit, you'd barely be able to see anything as soon as there were multiple mages casting it in that room.

I didn't find the Cyclops fight all that visually busy exactly because the light from all the spells was way more muted than it would've realistically be. I'd even assume that Intrepid have a default dimming of effects during overcast/dark times of the day, in order to prevent burning out our eyes.

And like I said, I prefer it that way.
  • Options
    Lumens only do indirect lighting and actually increase performance from my knowledge of UE5. I'm discussing direct lighting and more importantly, interaction between the elements and the lighting. Its like the elements are just jumbled together and have no cohesion. Like stuff is made in isolation which it is. I realise these things can be remedied later on but we are having a discussion between what looks good and what looks bad and from my standpoint it just looks bad right now.

Discussion for me is mainly not about what looks good and bad but someone saying it needs to be finished lol.

No one is going to sit here and argue a game pre alpha isn't polished or looking perfect. I could care less about that part.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Do you have an example from a game for what you're talking about? Cause I think I understand, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Noaani wrote: »

Or do you disagree with that?

Yeah I do. Do things right the first time, don't half ass things, fix problems as they arise. The lighting is a problem, it needs to be fixed. There's no need to intentionally stage the development process so things look shitty in alpha because it's alpha. That's the stupidest, most bureaucratic thing I have ever heard.

And how would that work, exactly?

If you were to do lighting in one take, you would have to wait until every model and texture is in the game, at the very least.

That would.mean we would have literally no lighting effects right now.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member

Yeah I do. Do things right the first time, don't half ass things, fix problems as they arise. The lighting is a problem, it needs to be fixed. There's no need to intentionally stage the development process so things look shitty in alpha because it's alpha. That's the stupidest, most bureaucratic thing I have ever heard.

If you were to do lighting in one take, you would have to wait until every model and texture is in the game, at the very least.

For indoors at least you could change how the lighting is handled, I think outside is fine for the most part until things like fog or night scenery comes in. The contrast in general is just very off, I think it could be adjusted in their current lighting system, and the way it interacts with the spell visuals could be changed independent of the lighting system. That's why I said it was an easy fix, and I'm not saying that this would be the final iteration of the lighting, despite what some morons in this thread would have you believe, obviously you'll have to change it again later, but it can be changed right now in slight ways that will make a big difference, especially when you're trying to garner an audience this early on through monthly live streams where people are making their decisions already on whether or not they're going to play this game.
  • Options
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    Saying what exact movie isn't going to change anything at this point, it is just leading for you asking more question eventually. If I can assume you have seen it just take it as a big movie is all.
    [/b]

Nah, I think I just caught you on some bullshit, you were so ready to say how you know everything about how every little process works. But as soon as I ask you for proof you back up. You know fuckall about game lighting, which I would excuse, except your out here giving me grief for not knowing the minutia of how games are developed.

The lighting as it stands right now sucks, it doesn't take fucking inside information on game development to see that it could be better than how it is right now before alpha 2. I'm tired of the people in this community shutting down every valid critique because the game is still under development. I understand this, I also understand this is a forum for FEEDBACK and so I'm going to give some mother fucking feedback, because the last thing that I want is to wait three more years for a game only for the lighting to suck because I didn't speak up when it mattered.

Do not at me in a DM again, I don't want to talk to you anymore.

You are try type to actually dox someone at the end of the day lmao, I'm not telling you anything more on info on me xD. You already were given enough proof not in me saying what I've worked on but in the fact you literarily don't understand anything and are whining online it doesn't look like a finished product.

Its funny when you are talking about shutting down criticism when you realize it is in development. What is even more funny is my point is on you and your lack of experience, and trying to open your eyes on you saying they need to have it done, my point isn't about you liking the look or not.

But a mix of your lack of experience (which is fine) but your complete ignorance not caring or even wanting to try to understand is the actual root of the issue.
  • Options
    Do you have an example from a game for what you're talking about? Cause I think I understand, but I'm not sure.

g5b5fhdu0pmf.png
    8ou07rs0rqn0.png
    agryqgava4yf.png

These aren't the perfect notions I mean but its the only game that's actually release in UE5 that I can reference right now. I didn't want to use trailer footage of projects that might never come out. Thus, I've tried to select screenshots with direct and indirect lighting. The aspects fit together even though the game is not the best in the world. I would hope that ashes ends up with similar or better fidelity between all the light sources.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    @Vissox do yourself a damn favor and learn some basics please. Then you can come out and yell more informedly where they should be at with lighting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSbBsXbjxPo&t=2408s
  • Options

g5b5fhdu0pmf.png
    8ou07rs0rqn0.png
    agryqgava4yf.png

These aren't the perfect notions I mean but its the only game that's actually release in UE5 that I can reference right now. I didn't want to use trailer footage of projects that might never come out. Thus, I've tried to select screenshots with direct and indirect lighting. The aspects fit together even though the game is not the best in the world. I would hope that ashes ends up with similar or better fidelity between all the light sources.

I'm unsure where their goals will be exactly, but we also need to remember they are aiming for giant battles, it is a mmorpg and not a single player game. So there are going to be challenges. That being said it could look better or worse.

Also you need to be mindful that games all have their ugly points, i could turn that game on and find the worse spot of lighting possible and say they need to work on it. Using a snowy area is easy mode for finding ugly sides of games as well.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    edited June 2023
    @Vissox d

g5b5fhdu0pmf.png
    8ou07rs0rqn0.png
    agryqgava4yf.png

The first screenshot would be perfect imo in terms of what we could expect in alpha 2 lighting. It's so much more natural than what we have now.

EDIT: the shadows kinda suck tho, is that tied to the process or is that just a fault in this game that you linked?
  • Options
    @Vissox d

g5b5fhdu0pmf.png
    8ou07rs0rqn0.png
    agryqgava4yf.png

The first screenshot would be perfect imo in terms of what we could expect in alpha 2 lighting. It's so much more natural than what we have now.

EDIT: the shadows kinda suck tho, is that tied to the process or is that just a fault in this game that you linked?

That is a finished game....

niubaynqcvp3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member

Lol, I just watched a piece of that video Mag posted and the dude was talking about hard and soft shadows and explained why they are the way they are. And that screenshot fits perfectly with the explanation, and those shadows fit perfectly with that scene. At this point I agree with Mag that you don't really know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2023

Lol, I just watched a piece of that video Mag posted and the dude was talking about hard and soft shadows and explained why they are the way they are. And that screenshot fits perfectly with the explanation, and those shadows fit perfectly with that scene. At this point I agree with Mag that you don't really know what you're talking about.

Congratulations you have surpassed him. vuvl0x8z5ci9.png

Edit * check out the indirect lighting part.
  • Options

For indoors at least you could change how the lighting is handled, I think outside is fine for the most part until things like fog or night scenery comes in. The contrast in general is just very off, I think it could be adjusted in their current lighting system, and the way it interacts with the spell visuals could be changed independent of the lighting system. That's why I said it was an easy fix, and I'm not saying that this would be the final iteration of the lighting, despite what some morons in this thread would have you believe, obviously you'll have to change it again later, but it can be changed right now in slight ways that will make a big difference, especially when you're trying to garner an audience this early on through monthly live streams where people are making their decisions already on whether or not they're going to play this game.

So, you have implicitly agreed that it is an iterative process here.

Now that you have agreed with that basic truth, why would they take someone away from what they are doing now (probably working on lighting for a new biome or something like that) to work on iterating on a small subsection of lighting now?

The most efficient thing to do is to develop new biome, then do an iterative pass over all of them.
  • Options

The shadow on the trash can isn't lined up with the light next to the car. Don't really give a f*** who you agree with, that's your business, and my expectations for intelligent conversation with you died whenever I posted that screenshot and you said it looked fine. Can't believe I need to actually type this again, but I don't need to know how to create a video game lighting system to know that one is suboptimal, just like you can go see one of mag's imaginary movies and and leave a negative review because it was trash. 🤣

The trash can shadow is aligned to the nearest lamppost light. It looks weird because the light source is cut off. The shadows aren't static, they move dependant on light source position. A static image doesn't represent that but I couldn't really explain with time stamped videos.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    @Noaani why would that be more efficient then fixing the lighting in an area where all of the assets are already down such as the cyclops arena or the indoor area where they started the mage where it's less likely that it's subject to change and seeing that to completion and then and only then moving on. You would have to do far less passes, and the game would look better while it was being developed which is again, important, since the developers are showing their progress monthly and live where less informed. Individuals who don't know what's in alpha will make early judgments upon it, which can result in a lower player base, which is a death sentence for an MMORPG.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Noaani why would that be more efficient then fixing the lighting in an area where all of the assets are already down such as the cyclops arena or the indoor area where they started the mage where it's less likely that it's subject to change and seeing that to completion and then and only then moving on.
    Because it will change still.

Also, the last few iterations of something like lighting need to be done over the game as a whole. This makes it easier to maintain a consistent theme across the game.
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member

The shadow on the trash can isn't lined up with the light next to the car. Don't really give a f*** who you agree with, that's your business, and my expectations for intelligent conversation with you died whenever I posted that screenshot and you said it looked fine. Can't believe I need to actually type this again, but I don't need to know how to create a video game lighting system to know that one is suboptimal, just like you can go see one of mag's imaginary movies and and leave a negative review because it was trash. 🤣

The trash can shadow is aligned to the nearest lamppost light. It looks weird because the light source is cut off. The shadows aren't static, they move dependant on light source position. A static image doesn't represent that but I couldn't really explain with time stamped videos.

Can you link the full videos so I can try to understand?
  • Options

Can you link the full videos so I can try to understand?

Its all from the same video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlnX7xIsWm8&ab_channel=theRadBrad

As I said, its not the best iteration of the technology. I cherry picked scenes which reflected direct and indirect lighting. I wasn't focussed on shadows per say.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    Noaani why would that be more efficient then fixing the lighting in an area where all of the assets are already down such as the cyclops arena or the indoor area where they started the mage where it's less likely that it's subject to change and seeing that to completion and then and only then moving on.

Also, the last few iterations of something like lighting need to be done over the game as a whole. This makes it easier to maintain a consistent theme across the game.

So basically your saying aesthetic lighting is a last step?
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    @Neurath ty.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    edited June 2023
    Edit * check out the indirect lighting part.
    Literally what I was saying :D Lumen, snow and indirect reflection of a highly reflective surface. No lumen in that showcase (I assume due to performance) and no "realistic" snow reflections. I'm sure that'll be fixed later on, but I would personally prefer the current iteration, cause as shown by that video the light gets really fucking bright.
    Here's what I imagine the light to do. Red circle is the rough center of the light source on the ground. Red lines show the path of the light. Green lines is the light creating a shadow. Yellow lines are the reflections into the camera (our pov). Seems as natural as it can be imo.
    4zoomncavzr1.png
  • Options

The game has aesthetic lighting.

I am saying fine tuning it is the last step in regards to lighting.

Keep in mind - what you are asking for literally is just some fine tuning.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Its all from the same video:
    I was almost spot on in my assumption. Noice B)
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited June 2023

I wish it was only as easy as fine tuning lmao.
  • Options

I wish it was only as easy as fine tuning lmao.

I mean - it is.

Everything talked about in this thread is fine tuning.
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Playing with light can greatly enhance the ambiance of any space, bringing forth a myriad of subtle to strong changes with just a simple adjustment. Whether it's the bright, radiant light of a sunny day, the dullness that accompanies an overcast sky, or the soft mid-tones experienced at dawn and dusk, each variation has the power to transform the atmosphere. As the sun sets and night takes hold, the surroundings can be engulfed in near-pitch blackness, creating a completely different mood.

Moreover, natural phenomena like sunshine, rain, and fog add their own unique hues to the lighting palette. In alpine regions, the interplay of white and blue tones creates a serene and refreshing atmosphere, reminiscent of snow-covered peaks and crystal-clear skies meeting shimmering waters. Meanwhile, near bodies of water, the blend of yellow and blue tones evokes a sense of tranquility and serenity.

Certain environments, such as tall forests, offer a captivating interplay of light and shadows. Rays of sunlight pierce through the dense canopy, casting enchanting god rays that dance upon the forest floor. The contrast between the illuminated patches and the dark understorey creates a captivating visual experience, bringing a touch of mystery and allure to the surroundings.

In other instances, specific color schemes can evoke powerful emotions and associations. For example, the red tones often associated with corrupted areas or volcanic regions create an atmosphere of danger and intensity. These hues symbolize the destructive forces of nature, adding an element of tension and excitement to the environment.

Despite the seemingly small nature of these changes, the impact they have on the overall ambiance is significant. By manipulating the lighting conditions, whether through natural or artificial means, a space can be completely transformed. It becomes possible to evoke a wide range of emotions, from tranquility and serenity to mystery and intensity, all through the strategic use of light.

One notable example of a medium that successfully utilizes the power of light is the game "New World." The developers have employed light as a fundamental tool to shape the atmosphere and immerse players in its virtual world. By carefully crafting the lighting conditions, they have created an engaging and visually stunning experience, where the changing hues and intensities of light breathe life into the game's environments. The attention to detail in rendering the diverse lighting scenarios is commendable and further demonstrates the immense value that playing with light can bring to any space or creative endeavor.